904 transmission wont shift into 1st

-

moparmark340

Reaction score
So I bought this dart recently because i pretty much gave up on restoring my 76 plymouth scamp. ( anyone looking for a project?). Anyway It had been a long time Since I drove anything with a torq flight. I was told the car had a shift kit ...well I started to notice that the car never started in first gear. If i drop the transmission in first gear the car will stop to a dead stop ( only do this in the drive way ) and just revs but feels like the car wont nudge forward like its currently locked up). I drove the car from wisconsin back home to Illionis and the car seem to shift fine from 2nd to 3rd. is it worth messing with the linkages or trying to get a different shift kit or am I just wasting time when I should be shopping for a new tranny? Any help would be great.

How is reverse?
I'm thinking you might have a valve body problem, or a exploded planetary set.
Betcha (Tracy) fishey68 would know for sure where to look.

How is reverse?
I'm thinking you might have a valve body problem, or a exploded planetary set.
Betcha (Tracy) fishey68 would know for sure where to look.

I think your on to something Greg. Could very well be an exploded and seized up planetary. I'd drop the pan and see if there's any shrapnel in it. If no shrapnel in the pan they probably screwed up the shift kit installation so it might be best to just find a different valve body and start from scratch

I think your on to something Greg. Could very well be an exploded and seized up planetary. I'd drop the pan and see if there's any shrapnel in it. If no shrapnel in the pan they probably screwed up the shift kit installation so it might be best to just find a different valve body and start from scratch

The only thing I could think of that would lock the car up in low gear, and cause it to skip first in drive.

-
Back