904 transmissions do not bolt to a V-8

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was just visited a pole for a trans selection for a smallblock car. The choice was 727 , 904 ,or other. Most on this site voted for the 904. Do you all know that a 904 is slant six only.
I was wrong about this sorry for the bad info

There are MILLIONS of small block 904, non lockup transmissions out there.... there are also the 998-999 you speak of as well..

If it doesn't hook up I guess I should pull over and stop before mine falls out. 273 with 904 transmission

Then can you explain how my '72 Dart, '74 Charger, '76 Volare, and '77 Roadrunner all came from the factory with a 318/904 combo? These were all purchased new and I was the original owner. MaMopar has been putting 904s behind LA V8s since 1964.

Never saw a trans for a v-8 casted with the 904 on the case. Every one I rebuilt were 998 . They are the same as the 904 but the case is for a V-8. and casted 998 or 999. if you have a 904 laying around for a V-8 take a pick with the bell in the picture and the casting numbers on the top of the trans. prove me wrong and I will accept it.

I was proven wrong by a local trans guy , but not affraid to admit it. I was wrong. Steve

My trans has 904 in raised letters on the bell housing and when I decoded the vin on the rail of the trans it came back as a "904 from a 72 ebody" if I remember correctly.

I would take a picture but im not pulling my trans for a photo op to prove you wrong LOL

You found a slant six 904..that has a completely diff bellhousing than the smallblock, and made the mass assumption that NO 904's will bolt to a smallblock, which is completely false...slants, smallblocks, and big blocks all have diff bellhousings that will not bolt to each other...

here ya go, one 904, removed from a 318 V8

Attachments

• PICT0154.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 890
  • PICT0155.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 849
If it doesn't hook up I guess I should pull over and stop before mine falls out. 273 with 904 transmission
LOL X2!!!
I guess I should check mine too! no wonder the starter was so hard to bolt in, My car has had the wrong transmission since it was NEW!!!

The inline 6 cylinder was upright in the beginning. It was leaned sideways to lower the body lines. Rather than rotate the trans also, its front case was recast with the rotation.

I must agree absolutely 100% correct
904 will NOT bolt up to a V8
(if it is from a slant6)

Then you're just as WRONG as the OP. There is a PHOTO of a 904 V8 transmission right up there. I have one as well along with an A998. The 998, 999, A500 and even the 42RLE are ALL 904 transmission variations. Anybody says different has obviously never had one apart. They all share so many common parts, it's pathetic. Now, what does NOT bolt to a V8 would be a "Torqueflite 6" transmission.

Then you're just as WRONG as the OP. There is a PHOTO of a 904 V8 transmission right up there. I have one as well along with an A998. The 998, 999, A500 and even the 42RLE are ALL 904 transmission variations. Anybody says different has obviously never had one apart. They all share so many common parts, it's pathetic. Now, what does NOT bolt to a V8 would be a "Torqueflite 6" transmission.
So how do you tell the difference between a 998 and 999 without tearing it apart?

I must agree absolutely 100% correct
904 will NOT bolt up to a V8
(if it is from a slant6)

I think you misread what you quoted, the last line in the () states if it was not from a slant6, which to me is more of a slap at the op's statement. Another words if it is from a slant6 of course it will not fit....

Probably people would be a little more agreeable if you had asked instead of stating it point blank.

Come to think of it, a lot of things would be better if people approached it from that aspect.

After making a call to someone . I am admitting I was wrong The early v-8's were 904's So Hang me up on a tree guys. I was wrong but At least I admitted it. It was the later versions that were 998's and 999's Learn something new exery day. well I am going back out side I will read what you all have to say about me later, Steve

Not to start a fight, but oldmanmopar constantly chimes in with bad advice. I'm an old mopar man, and don't reply unless I have had experience with the problem.

Not to start a fight, but oldmanmopar constantly chimes in with bad advice. I'm an old mopar man, and don't reply unless I have had experience with the problem.

Remember all his old posts? Go back and look....he deleted everything he could but he got everyone here all worked up with his BS :angry7:

I got one for sale...went behind my 318 and then 340 roller motor....

1968 LA904A Tranny for sale...Torque convertor also...

This is my stout LA904a Tranny that used to be behind my 340 roller motor..it has less than 200 miles on it since it was overhauled...it has Blue Plate special clutches...Kevlar bands and a riveted roller sprag...I spent lots of money or this tranny to let it set...it has set for over a year since I put the 440 in my Dart...it comes with no neutral safety switch...no speedo adaptor nor a kickdown or shift levers...it will come with a 2200-2400 stall torque convertor...this was the factory one that was cut opened and worked on...I have no idea what shipping would cost or intail...$500.00 bucks to the first person...I suggest disassembling and cleaning up prior to use..It has been sitting in storage...

IMG00325-20101202-2028.jpg

IMG00326-20101202-2028.jpg

IMG00327-20101202-2029.jpg

-
Back