904 troubleshoting

-

duster340

street racer
Reaction score
took apart the last pieces of my 904 gearbox today and found
front band seems almost worn out
front drum looks like its been runing hot where the band aplies collor is not blue but its grey/blackened
front clutchdisks look burnt and the metaldiscs looks like they have been runing hot also but just spots, like the drum they are not blue they are black/grey
rearclutchpacks and discs looks fine so does the rear drum and band
front servo just as deep into the pocket as i can come i found a "pistonring" that whas sticking in its groove wich seems odd
and in the rear servo i found the rubber seal being totaly flattened and looks like it has tried to turn around in its grove :(

gearbox already has a transgo TF2kit wich made the transmission shift real good and it was never ever slipping the slightest until late this summer and it just got worse and slipped so bad that the tach would easily jump to over 4000rpm in high gear at speed when giving it full throtle

any sugestions what went wrong and what i can do to make it work better and for a longer time than after my last rebuild?
this one lasted 4years behind a strong running 340 with 3200rpm stall dailydriven every day during the summers,..

Have a temp gauge for it? Depending on the brand of converter and gear ratio that 3200stall may have been the death of it, if it was slipping, or you didnt up the cooling system for more stall.

GoodysGotaCuda said:
Have a temp gauge for it? Depending on the brand of converter and gear ratio that 3200stall may have been the death of it, if it was slipping, or you didnt up the cooling system for more stall.

no tempgauge except for that old warninglight on the dash that probably doesnt work anymore but its still hooked just because it those exist ;)

its a custombuilt realy nice and tight converter and i have 3.91 gears and low 26"tires...
have done the "smellcheck" to the oil many times and it never had that smell of burnt oil beore it started slipping, seams strange that it just started slipping after so many miles with no real wear on the clutchplates...
will get a bigger cooler for the transmission just for safety i gues but its seems odd that it worked so good for so long time
thanks

-
Back