904 won't go into gear. Sometimes. :(

-

pilotsf

Reaction score
Hi guys!
My race / street 904 with tci kit and trq converter has about 30k on it. It's acting up. On occasion when I start it it it won't go into gear. Cycle through all gears nothing. And then boom it works. ???
The strange thing is once it goes into gear it shifts fine. Burnouts, second gear scratch, down shifts strong as ever. Please advise.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

torque converter drainback I bet, usually only happens upon first startup of the day? sometimes after 2-3 hours of sitting?

torque converter drainback I bet, usually only happens upon first startup of the day? sometimes after 2-3 hours of sitting?
Yep. For the most part. It has happened at times once the car has been driven. But mostly after it sets.

torque converter drainback I bet, usually only happens upon first startup of the day? sometimes after 2-3 hours of sittiing
What's converter drain back ? Lol. Is it time for new converter ? Or easy fix

It may be drainback, but if it takes longer for it to work when it's cold then it's time for another rebuild.
How long does it usually take to engage when it does it?

Drainback is caused by a pump and converter bushing wear.
It takes a couple of seconds to engage when you put it in gear after sitting.
Transgo and a few other make a manual (shifter) valve that lets the trans fluid circulate in park that will help a lot with drainback.

Try poping it into neutral for a couple of seconds before you try to drive it, and if it works fine when you do that it is drainback.

If it's cold and you put it in neutral for a few seconds then try to drive it and it won't go till it warms up for a few min then it's hardened rubber seals and needs a rebuild.

Thank You for the info. I will try the neutral test.

It's working fine now. I let it warm up a bit now

Like 30 sec to 1 min. Only I'm morning. The Rest of the day is fine.

Ok, good.
If it has to warm up for 5 min or so before it engages it needs rebuilt, so it sounds like you are good to go.

-
Back