904 Won't Pull

-
If your driveshaft is stock it may not be able to be cut down. A lot of the originals had a rubber isolator insert which prevents welding on. IMO rebuild the 904

Going to a different center section in the rear may require a different U-joint, depending on what the new center section came from! There are solutions out there though, like the offset U-joint with the 7260 yoke on one side and the 7290 on the other! So, the answer is yes, you can shorten your existing driveshaft for the 727, but you will need the 727 front yoke, as the 727 and 904 tailshaft splines are different!
Thanks! I hadn't thought of that yet. It looks like those can be had new online for less than $100. Then I would just have to have mine shortened if possible or find an original one for sale (saw one on here that should work.)
Good info about the rear u-joint as well. Not sure what this rear end is out of but good to know they offer one with both sizes if necessary.

A 904 rebuild kit is less than the cost of a d/s and yoke conversion...........
And with a little internet help,they are so easy to rebuild..................
I appreciate the reply's. Nothing against the 904 but the decision has been made to swap in the 727. Cost is a factor. Both will need a rebuild so an arrangement was made where costs will be split on rebuilding the 727 with the understanding that I will use it for now and my uncle will use it down the road. Trying to decide between using the unknown TC I have here or buy one with a little stall to compliment the upgraded engine and rear. The money saved on the transmission will go toward that and whatever the new 3:91 rear end needs before the install.

That is some generous uncle!
Ha. Indeed he is. In fact, he's the one that introduced me to mopars (and a-body's!) at a young age with his '70 Swinger. Sweet ride. He's been a big help along the way for sure. He hopes the 727 will help both our projects along.

-
Back