904_G won't move in any gear.

-

valigirl

Vali-Girl
Reaction score
Hi everyone, had trans out with motor. Changed filter and gaskets and hooked up shift cable like it wad before. The torq converter stayed on trans and was not removed. I put 5qts of trans oil in. Engine has about 20 min run time. Oil is on dip stick where it was before.The trans was fine before pulling with engine. HELP!!!

valigirl,
Lets start with the basics. Are you sure you put the torque converter bolts back in? Is the driveline in? Are you checking the trans fluid level with the engine running?
~Michael

Yes Mike. Flex plate is bolted to motor and torq converter is bolted to it. Trans is level. I just opened up trans line at rad and have no oil? Could torq converter not be all the way in with trans bolted up?. Trans went in smoothly.

Put it up on jack stands and remove shifting linkage and check it by hand, if you don't feel anything your shifting linkage in your valve body area may have came off, sounds like the pump is not priming/working.

Or am I way off base here..

Have you checked the fluid with engine running and trans in neutral.. The pump isn't pumping in Park.

It is possible the converter slid out some. I would make sure the fluid level is correct first.

I am not seeing the oil level drop on dip stick.If the TC lost some oil the level would drop on dip stick. I have to take the pan off to see where linkage is connected. It is held in place with a clip. I can't believe it has come off. With no oil at rad pump must not be working. More oil needed?

It sounds like the torque converter is not fully engaged in the pump. After bolting the engine and trans together was there a gap between the torque converter and the flex plate or was it tight against the flex plate?
~Michael

Always fill the convertor with 2 qrts before reinstalling, also...for people switching between new and old spline count input shafts....if u stick the later convertor to the older spline trans, ull have no gears cause the shaft ain't catching.
It's possible u may have this issue cause the convertor is dry, which can also burn it up ...but it should be wet still and with a lil fluid it would be ok.

Next question are you sure you used the correct filter? I seem to recall the 64-65 used a different filter than the later 66 up 904. The incorrect filter could starve the pump. Let me see if I can find some info on that.
~Michael

How much fluid in total came out when you had it apart? If you got about 8 quarts used oil sitting there then 5 quarts ain't enough.

It seemed around 5qrts. Filled my oil change pan a little over half. Also trans oil filter had 3holes in it just like old one. They tied to sell me one with only 2 holes but wad identical in size.

What year trans is this, Michael just posted in another thread about the filters.

"The 64-65 904's had 2 holes in the filter because the tranny had 2 fluid intake ports on the bottom of the valve body—one for the front pump, and one for the rear pump. If you use a 1-hole filter on a '65 or earlier trans, you'll starve the rear pump, which will begin to whine as it wears." SlantSixDan
Posted on slantsix.org
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewto...ghlight=#72996

From here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=207381
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72996&highlight=#72996

It seemed around 5qrts. Filled my oil change pan a little over half. Also trans oil filter had 3holes in it just like old one. They tied to sell me one with only 2 holes but wad identical in size.

Sometimes it takes a bunch of times running back & forth thru the gears. Go into reverse then into 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc and then back into reverse. I've seen it take 10-20 cycles through the gears to finally build up pressure. Then check the fluid in neutral (not park). Be sure to have parking brake on and better still someone in car with brake on/Wheels chocked. If you are then positive fluid is full, you'll need to pull it back apart.

What scares me is that you said you had the 1/4 gap between the flex plate. That means to me that you pulled the converter back out 1/4" as you tightened the flex plate bolts. IIRC Normally when you push the trans fully back in place, the Flex Plate is right up against the TC with no Gap.

there should be a small space between the converter and the flex plate before bolt up or else you would stuff the crank ruining it's thrust bearing , I would check the FSM to find out how much it has always been about an eighth of an inch in my cars . I'm voting low fluid or not completely cycled through fluid especially if nothing comes out the cooler line

sounds like she dosent have the shifter cable hooked into the valve body right. you will have to drop the pan again to check. adjusting the cable is a two person job. one up and one below watching the movement. a single hole filter wont cause the pump not to pick up the oil. the rear pump only works when the drive shaft is turning and then it would be a problem.

-
Back