97 Ram Diesel A/C issues

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
hey guys my bosses 97 Ram, diesel, is having A/C troubles

were having high pressure on both the High side and low side of the system Here is what we have done

Installed new orifice
Installed new condensor coil- old one was dirty, flattened fins
Cleaned evap coil
Pumped down system for 45 min no leaks
Installed 12oz 134 freon
Pressures are 74psi on low side 100 high side running with compressor engaged, not freewheeling clutch

thx for the help in advance

if your in az 100 on the high side way to low.... should be in the 200's depending on out side temp ... low side 35 to 40psi on the gauges ... sounds to me like you hurt the compressor, with the condenser issue ..make sure the fan clutch is working well ...i believe you might need to ck an see how much freon that trk takes 134 is very sensitive to correct amount ......

The condition of the outside of the condenser isn't such an issue.
There isn't enough gas in the system yet.
What did the orifice tube look like ? If it was clogged with dark debris the compressor is bad.

if your in az 100 on the high side way to low.... should be in the 200's depending on out side temp ... low side 35 to 40psi on the gauges ... sounds to me like you hurt the compressor, with the condenser issue ..make sure the fan clutch is working well ...i believe you might need to ck an see how much freon that trk takes 134 is very sensitive to correct amount ......

we've been lucky and have had a long spring so its in the mid 80 right now...

The condition of the outside of the condenser isn't such an issue.
There isn't enough gas in the system yet.
What did the orifice tube look like ? If it was clogged with dark debris the compressor is bad.

i was a little dirty but not bad...

we replaced the compressor and all the pressures seem to be good again so all is well...

thanks guys

we replaced the compressor and all the pressures seem to be good again so all is well...

thanks guys

Good luck with it. Many times the debris from the first compressors death kills the next and the next and the next. The only cure is to replace the entire system at once.
My experience comes from mid 80s to 92. Todays systems may have better safeguards.

-
Back