99 Neon R/T for $5500...buy it?

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
My woman-type friend is in the market for another car....A guy at work (a good guy, i know him) has a 99 Neon he bought 2 years ago to turn into a race car, but he never did anything with it. The car is almost showroom condition....fully loaded, red with silver stripes, 47,000 miles.
all i saw wrong with it is the passenger window switch only lowers the window, and won't raise it, but the pass window switch on the driver's side will....there is a scratch on the inner A-pillar cover, about 3" long, and 3 small chips on the top of the front bumper....

he has put less than 1000 miles on it. I do know that he will NOT go lower than 5500, because he has that much in it, but has not gotten any usage from it.....
i know that is right at the high end of kelley blue book's private-party value for a fully loaded, excellent condition 99 R/T

My thinking is that you won't find a better deal for a car like it....a low-mileage clean car....and she's considering car-lot shopping....

i have never bought a car or truck newer than 79, and do not keep up with reviews or anything on them.....but what do you all think? i read a few things online, and they seem to be good cars....

she says that if she had to sell it, she wouldn't make any money on it...i told her that you don't make money on newer cars usually.....and that she's not buying it for an investment

from what i know, neons tend to blow head gaskets, and the resale value isnt so good. other than that, theyre ok at best. The RT doesnt mean what it used to either, but it sounds like a good buy. most of the cars on the lots have unknown histories, this one at least was well taken care of.

-
Back