A 1974 Duster - My 2nd one, 41 years later!

-
Very close to 92nd & Wads. I am just north of Costco on 92nd. In the Westcliff Homes by Mandalay Middle School. Yup!

yep, that's really close lol, my kid played youth football at mandalay. kewl, we will have to meet up, i'd like to see the car.

i live on the west side of wads, on 93rd way, just north of oakhurst park.

i like the sassy green paint. i think it will look awesome in that color.

nice to know there's another fabo member in the neighborhood!!

higgs

Called you Higgs, and sent you a PM.

So today i went at taking apart the front. The drivers side fender and valance have some issues I need to fix. In the last pic with the valance gone you can see a lil' black spot, right in front of the lower headlight bezel screw hole....that is where the fender should go over that interior fender panel and it doesn't on the drives side. Need a body guy to help me out with this. You might notice I removed all the horizontal grill bars in the center area of the grill.....just being different.

FullSizeRender by Alexl5280, on Flickr

FullSizeRender_2 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

FullSizeRender_3 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

I had to work today, not too much time today to work on the Duster. But...I did manage to shoot some flat black to the dash after quick light scuff with 220 grit. Yup, I will need to fix the lil' crack on each side of the dash pad. Next I need to get the cowl shot in epoxy. That means removing the windshield wiper bases/pivots.

i had the pleasure of meeting alex tonight, sat around bsn' and looked at the car, what a nice project. that thing will be awesome when done.

thanx for hospitality buddy, had a blast throwin' back beers and talking mopars..........

higgs

Thank you so much Higgs for stopping by!!! I as well had a great time chatting with you. Really liked Higgs awesome Valiant!

Every time I look at your thread, which is the only one I has been able to follow since you started, my jealousy goes up big time. I have none of the skills to do what you guys have. To see how quickly some of you can get this stuff done amazes me. I feel so much at the mercy of the shop that is doing my car. Then I think about the money that it is costing me to not be able to do even the most minor things. I know that is the nature of the 'hobby.' And I really wish I could be in more control of my own build.

Nice car....

Dennis

Thank you kelleherdl. My goal is to spend 2 hours a day on the car. I have done that and more since she got home with me.

So I took the wiper pivots out this morning. Do not dive down into your floorboards without a small 1/2" wrench and a flashlight, LOL! Sanded and sanded. Sanding the cowl vents is nothing more than an awful task. I first used stripper to get the crap Napa paint off and found it necessary to take all the vent bars down to bare metal with scraping and sand paper so they can be smooth with the new paint. Hit it with some etching primer. It will get a some epoxy next.

Thanks! and Yes Higgs...It certainly was a pain! But it's done! Moved on this afternoon to cleaning up 41 years of grime. Makes me think this Sienna Metalic orange color probably looked pretty awesome when it was new. I'll finish the other side tomorrow.

FullSizeRender_3 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

This morning with paper removed and the newly painted dash, meets the newly painted windshield channel, and cowl. This is fun as things start to clean up! Next I will be continuing the epoxy primer on the drivers side.

IMG_2238 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Then you get to **** it all up by, grinding, sanding, sanding and more sanding :wack:

Car looks a lot different in gray. I am going to move onto spraying the trunk interior in the Sassy color & clear, also going to spray the underside of the trunk lid in color/clear then reattach it to the car. I am using PPG Deltron and SPI Universal clear. I will get back to welding in the quarter panel when my friend Tapani is available to help. 80 cf tank was bought yesterday Argon/CO2 in preparation. Also will be welding in patches where the marker lights are. If you look closely about 3" of the rear drivers 1/4 panel needs replacing (so no paint there). There are about 25 rust thru holes there and it needs to be fixed.

image1 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Thank you so much. I have been working "a lot" on the car and it is certainly cool to see change. Thanks again DD for the kind words, also thanks Ben Drinkin!

-
Back