A 318 into a 383 big block low budget thoughts?

-

AxelsMopar

WolfiesDuster
Reaction score
In that article, they aren't turning a 318 into a 383. They're saying they can build a 383 on a 318 budget I think (or else the titles on their internet articles are screwed up). All the photos are of a big block. As far as the bigger or smaller question, there's no replacement for displacement.

In that article, they aren't turning a 318 into a 383. They're saying they can build a 383 on a 318 budget I think (or else the titles on their internet articles are screwed up). All the photos are of a big block. As far as the bigger or smaller question, there's no replacement for displacement.

So is it impossible to make a small block 318 into a big block? Im still learning this stuff so I thought I should ask.:happy9:

So is it impossible to make a small block 318 into a big block? Im still learning this stuff so I thought I should ask.:happy9:

Small block into a big block, No that's all about block design and incorporates stronger main bearing and crank support by extending the bottom sides of the block and adding cast in strengthing ribs. As far as I'm concerned (and what I was always taught) when talking Mopars this is what seperates SB's from BB's. Now when considering Chebbies under this definition all their "old" Big Cube engines are small blocks so who the hell knows.:-D It is possible to stroke the 318 to almost 400 cubes or more though.

Small block into a big block, No that's all about block design and incorporates stronger main bearing and crank support by extending the bottom sides of the block and adding cast in strengthing ribs. It is possible to stroke the 318 to almost 400 cubes or more though.

Idon't really know 100% what a stroker is and how to make one... I am pretty new at the stroker kits and what so could I get a explanation?

A stroker kit comes with a different crank, rods and pistons most of the time. The general idea is to change the length of stroke to change the cubic inch displacement. Longer stroke bigger displacement. This is very simple once you sit down and think about it. It will still be a small block no matter what tricks you do to it, just have a different displacement.

It is possible to stroke the 318 to almost 400 cubes or more though.

Yep, Hughes has a 318 to 390 kit. That is a 318 with a 4" stroke and 3.94" bore. Factory 318 stroke x bore is 3.31" x 3.91". You could get more than 390 cubes out of it, just depends on how much you want to bore it out. I believe there is a member here who is building a 402 out of a 318?

A stroker kit comes with a different crank, rods and pistons most of the time. The general idea is to change the length of stroke to change the cubic inch displacement. Longer stroke bigger displacement. This is very simple once you sit down and think about it. It will still be a small block no matter what tricks you do to it, just have a different displacement.

Oh so maybe just swapping out and putting a big block then stroking that might be better... So are all 318's small blocks? I've read there is a slant 6 and then there is a v8? The website I found this on was http://www.allpar.com/model/charger.html It talks about the the V8 in the 1971 section under the first picture and in 1973 it doesnt say anything really about the V8... But would the V8 still be a small block?

All 273/318/340/360 are small blocks. Slant 6 is an inline 6 cylinder that leans to the side a little. V8 is 8 cylinders arranged in a V shape. All Mopar big or small blocks are V8's. Just look where the distributor is to tell if it's a big or small block. Big block distributors are in the front, leaning towards the passenger side. Small block distributors are in the back, straight up.

OH!!! So heres another is it better to get a V8 or /6? Alot of people on craigslist don't always tell you if its a /6 or a V8 so im just wondering...:read2: all the info on the car most of the time tells me if its worth it or not. If it has a picture and info I'll think about it but if its doesnt i just think scam...

OH!!! So heres another is it better to get a V8 or /6? Alot of people on craigslist don't always tell you if its a /6 or a V8 so im just wondering...:read2: all the info on the car most of the time tells me if its worth it or not. If it has a picture and info I'll think about it but if its doesnt i just think scam...

What do you mean by "better"? Better fuel mileage? Better performance? Easiest to get parts for? You could get a million different answers to that question but, like I said before, there is no replacement for displacement when going for horsepower. Forgot to mention earlier, slant 6's could be 198's or 225's. Both are inline 6 cylinders not known for their power, but instead known more for durability.

One small note for consideration is that if you decide on a big block, your K-member may have to be replaced or "notched" in order to accommodate the change.

It is possible to get >400 hp out of a 318 with only 0.040" oversize pistons, if that is of interest to you. See the following older article from Popular Hotrodding for fun:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/0667em_mopar_318_engine/index.html

There have already been plenty of great suggestions posted for you so do not be shy about pursuing more questions.

What do you mean by "better"? Better fuel mileage? Better performance? Easiest to get parts for? You could get a million different answers to that question but, like I said before, there is no replacement for displacement when going for horsepower. Forgot to mention earlier, slant 6's could be 198's or 225's. Both are inline 6 cylinders not known for their power, but instead known more for durability.

I figured hp was out but I ment gas milage and performance... Sorry i wasnt more clear.

One small note for consideration is that if you decide on a big block, your K-member may have to be replaced or "notched" in order to accommodate the change.

It is possible to get >400 hp out of a 318 with only 0.040" oversize pistons, if that is of interest to you. See the following older article from Popular Hotrodding for fun:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/0667em_mopar_318_engine/index.html

There have already been plenty of great suggestions posted for you so do not be shy about pursuing more questions.

I will post more questions because ive getting good and friendly answers! thanks for the article and the help.

-
Back