A-518 tranny overhaul, what would you quote?

-

Dakota_Don

Reaction score
Hello, on a 95 ram 4x4 a freind was quoted 1600 for a rebuild.

I have rebuilt 727s (10) 904s (13) 350s (6) 4L60Es (2) and a few fords.So i don't thnk i will have any issues doing this one.

what would you quote in labor to pull it, rebuild it, install it w/o parts.

would you give it a warrenty being a shade tree DIYer.

I kinda told them 800 +/- with parts.

BTW the tranny in question is slipping in first and rev.

master kit is approx 150'
rebuilt TC is about 120 here locally.

plus fluid ect..

Flat rate time is about 14.5hrs for that job. From the overrunning clutch to the pump it is the same as a 727 or 904 (depending if it is a 46rh or 44rh). If you are going to take o/d unit apart you will need a press to compress unit to get snap ring out becuase there is a VERY big spring in it above o/d planetary. Does it slip in 3rd gear? Just asking because first gear uses rear clutch pack and reverse uses front clutch pack. 3rd gear use both clutch packs at same time. If it does not slip in 3rd you may want to remove pan and check low/revese band adjustment to see if that is where your problem is.

I think Mod38 nailed it. I haven't rebuilt a A-518 but I have rebuilt a bunch of 727's, 350 and 400 turbos and one A500. The A500 apparently didn't have the big spring in the o.d. Mod38 mentioned cause it was a breeze to take apart and put back together. It took me about 3-1/2 hrs. longer than a 727 to do but the truck was an early Dakota and I had to take the exhaust completely off to get it in and out. R&R'ing the exhaust alone was probably 1-1/2 hrs cause it was all rusted up and i had a hard time getting it apart without breaking things. I imagine parts cost is probably close for the A500 and A518 so I'd think you should be ok at $850 if it don't need any hard parts, i.e. drum, gear set, etc... You know how that goes. You can't tell everything until it actually taken apart just like in an engine. I always tell the customer the quoted price is for a standard rebuild and hard parts cost extra. As far as a warranty that's up to you. I usually give at least some sort of warranty. If they want a quickie low dollar job I don't get much warranty if any. Full rebuilds always get a 12,000 mi./1 year warranty.

I'm doing one right now out of a 98 Ram and it's bad enough to need $915 worth of parts because a snap ring let loose and the resulting thrust movement of the shaft destroyed both planetaries and put metal throughout the trans. So if it's just a "normal" overhaul you may be okay, but $1600 might not be too far out of line if it's real bad.

just finished an A500/42rh in 95 dakota...overdrive had the 800 lbs spring.

rebuild kit for a500 was about 50 dollars cheaper the a518. Used transtar kit from northern autoparts.com

did an A518 last year...spend about 450 bucks including rebuild converter...spend about 400 on the a500 .

except for kits...bought parts from transmissionpartsusa.com

thanks fellas, the dude found someone else to do it without a price even talked about, He did tell me the guy fixing said the 2nd gear drum broke? ane he is just fixing that and putting it back together.. i guess my quote was to much for the guy LOL and reusing the old TC also. I told him good luck

thanks again...

Glad to help DD. 2nd gear drum broke huh?? That's funny cause all the torqueflites I know of use the front band to apply 2nd gear. His must be very rare. LOL

That's the way it goes in this business. I've had the same thing happen to me.

Glad to help DD. 2nd gear drum broke huh?? That's funny cause all the torqueflites I know of use the front band to apply 2nd gear. His must be very rare.

I agree with fishy68. But if the guy is going to believe that and only wants a quick fix job you are probably better off not doing it anyways.

yup, i am glad i walked away.. and when he told me the 2nd gear drum was broke LoL i said ummmmmm OK.. if i was doing it would have been compleately apart, cleaned and inspected, woreout or broke parts replace, a new kit, rebuilt TC, a VB kit also installed, tranny lines flushed, and if it looked like it would exceep 800, i would have told him after inspected everythng.. what i should have tols this guy was my labor charge pluss parts, in which i wouldnt know untill i had it apart and inspected..

anyway hope he has good luck with it, and when it craps out again it will cost him even more LoL..

-
Back