A-518 valve body problems?

-

pjc360

Reaction score
I have a non lock up A-518 in my truck and sorry i been talking about my truck alot on a car site but you guys are the best at helping me information wise, anyways this transmission was fully re-built back in september of 2011 and it came with a 2 year warranty. What i am expierencing is noises from what i think is caused by the valve body but am not 100 perent sure. For instance when i put the truck in gear and get ready to take off it will make a wooooooooo noise and then it will shift into 2nd and go woooooooo and it slowly goes away once i get up to speed. And when i put it in reverse it will make the same sound the entire time while being in reverse doesnt matter if im moving or going slow or going fast or if im at a dead stop when its in reverse it makes the same woooooo sound lmost like a slight humming noise. However it does not make this noise while nuetral or park so that pretty much rules out the possibility of it being the front pump. The torque converter is brand new and i really dont see howw it could already be damaged with less then 3000 miles on it. I did some searching on this subject and i found a ton of threads on this happening to alot o people with dodge trucks mainly from 94 to 2002 and what people describe are the samy symptoms i am having with mine. The transmission is not low on fluid, the fluid does not smell burnt at all and it shifts good although i think the line pressure could be turned up a little bit higher. From what i have read these noises are ether the torque converter circulating fluid thru out the system and is normal or its in the valve body and servos need to be replaced or modifyed. My question is wouldnt a well installed shift kit solve this issue? and from what i have read and been told the transgo stage 2 is the shift kit to have. I have also considered sending my valve body to copeland transmissiom CRT and having them modify my valve body. Anyways just wondering what you uys would think of this but for now i am convinced this issue is from servos within the valve body. And that they can be fixed with a well built valve body.

So nobody knows what could be causing this? Or nobody agrees that the problem is with the servos on the valve body?

Sounds like the pressure regulater valve buzzing.They have a service bulliten on this back in the day,i think you replace the pressure valve with one from the dealer.Restricted filters can also cause this problem.The make a few different filters for the a518 depending on the year.I would drop the pan and change the filter before buying a valvebody.

The filter is brand new and so is the fluid? filter and fluid has less then 3000 miles on them. I think it is most likely a servo too. just wanna find out wich one and get it replaced. I might just send my valve body to crt and have them re-build it and modify it to shift firmer at the same time.

If the transmission is under warranty why don't you take it back and have them check it?

Because the town the shop is in that re-built it is 3 hours away and i wanna know what it is or at least have a pretty good idea of what it is so i can tell them to check it out, they always argue with me they have in the past. When they first re-built it i could feel a vibration that i knew was coming from the transmission they checked it out told me it was my u-joints sent me back home i re-placed u-joints and it was still doing it so i took it back and they looked at it again turns out they installed the wrong torque converter...... These guys suck and i wish i would have never taken it to them because they are the worst transmission shop i have ever seen. I have watched my old man re-build a 727 in his driveway took him about 8 hours all around installed it and that transmission is still working great 10 years later, i just wanna make sure i can tell them what it is because if i bring it to them and say its making noise fix it they will say oh there is nothing wrong with it thats just fluid circulating or something like that, i know how they are they argue with everything.

I don't think buying another valvebody is a good idea unless you are sure.Is there a closer transmission shop that could test drive it for you.I would get a second opinion.

I just have a very strong these issue is in the valve body a servo. It does not make the noise while in park or in nuetral and it makes the noise in reverse and drive when first taking off in drive. I'm thinkin if i sent my valve body to crt to have them re-build it and modify it that it would solve this issue and that a shif kit would most likey solve it too.
But if i go the shift kit route i will most likely take it to the shop who re-built it that way if something ends up happening to it they will have to fix it under warranty, i can totally see them saying we are not going to warranty it because you had someone other then us install the shift kit or valve body or whatever. So when i get the money for a shift kit i will take it to them ask them to install the shift kit and at the same time figure out why its making noise in reverse and when first taking off in drive.

-
Back