A-727 Kickdown

-

Mcfarlrm

Reaction score
I've been trying to get my kickdown to engage passing gear to no avail. I checked the linkage connected to the carb and everything lines up perfectly at idle and WOT. However, I noticed that the kickdown lever connected to the trans has no spring load whatsoever to keep it in the forward position. What's the easy fix here? Hoping this has not caused any major damage since I've noticed a vibration and knocking on the transmission tunnel at idle, at various speeds/rpm's and for a split second when giving the vehicle throttle and letting off the throttle at cruising speeds.

No eternal spring stock. If you unhook the lever at the trans it should have a rest position and an internal, modest spring-like resistance, when moved and about 2" total movement at the arm end. If everything is not stock, intake manifold, carb and kickdown rods, most people have trouble the ratio between the throttle cable and the kickdown holes at the carb. There are accessory bolt brackets that Holley and other companies make that to help correct the ratio, but you also have to verify top and at the trans with the help of another when you adjust. There also variations in the trans vintage, and the post '71 trans has a more enhanced kickdown feature than earlier. Do you have a complete factory set-up, an aftermarket kick down cable or...?

Trans is from 79 along with the LA360. Aftermarket Edelbrock carb and intake with stock kickdown rods/linkage. Youtube video below at 1:25 shows that the lever is spring loaded, which mine is not either due to it being defective or this not being a feature on my trans.

With the aftermarket carb and intake, which pretty much moves everything around, it would likely be easier to buy a cable kickdown kit and not try to use any of the rods. Lokar or even something like the cheaper Summit brand will work, may also need the carb adapter to get the linkage travel ratio right.

The cables are a great option for setups that are not the stock configuration. I use the Bouchillon cable kit for my sixpack, works great. The kit has a return spring at the transmission lever. Prices have really gone up though..

-
Back