A-833 OD transmission what type is mine? 421,422??

-

Dart 65 /6 170

Reaction score
i need some help. how to i identify what type my A-833 od transmission is. im about to buy a shifting linkage kit, but i need to know if mine is a 421 or a 422 type.

Thanks

- Kenneth

Pictures?

263AFBBA-1C41-4548-92B4-A0578A761601.jpeg

FF894372-5D17-4BA8-A0B6-2E11D8B4FBA3.jpeg

06C9F50D-DCD7-495E-B419-C8F06963276D.jpeg

D335C218-BACE-44E4-A57D-9525632E633E.jpeg

D8ED05D4-97CD-402A-9B26-D29DB5BC7F54.jpeg

E4A1D24A-69DD-4C4D-A885-159C2D77C507.jpeg

C29FF249-24CB-4AEB-98A7-BD7E83CB1BE6.jpeg

Where are you getting your linkage from? not sure about 421 or 422 type. You have what looks to me as a nice O/D trans small output, small front bearing retainer that should work with your 65 bellhousing. The O/D linkage from Brewers should work with the 6350 mounting pad, and a MOPAR Hurst shifter. What shifter and linkage do you have?

Type 421, A Body. And it should be O/D linkage. That means the 3/4 arm points down.

Last edited:
Where are you getting your linkage from? not sure about 421 or 422 type. You have what looks to me as a nice O/D trans small output, small front bearing retainer that should work with your 65 bellhousing. The O/D linkage from Brewers should work with the 6350 mounting pad, and a MOPAR Hurst shifter. What shifter and linkage do you have?

i came across this hurst kit Hurst 4 Speed Street Super Shifter Kit Mopar A Body A833 Type 421

but i really dont know much about, it's my first manuel conversion im used to automatics. so i will take all the help i can get.

Any after market rods put in the vise and bust the threads off and have them tig welded back on. Or you'll be breaking them one day. They are not threaded rods the threads are friction welded on most of them. The correct rods look like this . Heavy duty. First pic is 4spd , second pic is OD

DSCN0186[1].JPG

DSCN0190[1].JPG

Any after market rods put in the vise and bust the threads off and have them tig welded back on. Or you'll be breaking them one day. They are not threaded rods the threads are friction welded on most of them. The correct rods look like this . Heavy duty. First pic is 4spd , second pic is OD

Can't agree with this. The ones I referenced, Brewers Performance or Passon Performance, appear turned, threaded, and bent. They are not cheap reproductions.

The ones we repaired for people looked threaded also. Until we saw them broken. So we put the other rods in a vise pulled on the threaded part with nuts so not to damage the threads. They broke off right where the threads ended at the rod. I was amazed myself. I know where they were purchased which I won't mention. Does not hurt to check. Just a heads up from first hand experience. I believe I have some that just recently came here from the farm. I'll see if any break and post the pics when I get a chance.

Last edited:
I was not doubting you, I did check mine before posting. I'd rather have a 60 year old part than most new stuff now a days.

I have a 64-65 shifter and handle. I also have the reverse and 3/4 OD rod and the shift arms. I'll take some pictures later. You will still need the 1/2 rod.

I have a 64-65 shifter and handle. I also have the reverse and 3/4 OD rod and the shift arms. I'll take some pictures later. You will still need the 1/2 rod.

the problem is, that im in denmark and you are in the US :)

QUOTE="Dart 65 /6 170, post: 1973059949, member: 58279"]it cant be done any cheaper? its nearly 800 for the whole shifter package[/QUOTE]

Just make your own linkages, I used 3/8 hollow steel tube from Lowe's bent it to shape with my map gas torch. Then i welded a 5/16(i think?) Bolt on the end for the adjuster. On the other end i welded on a junk bolt, cut the threads off and bent the shank 90 degrees and then drilled a small hole through it for the spring clip.

It cost less then $10 per linkage and only took a couple of hours per linkage.

20200414_183952.jpg
20200414_190543.jpg
20200414_191103.jpg
20200417_184839.jpg

Go to a generic auto site. 421 is A Body and 422 is B Body.

In that case; I'll tell you what I have found;
The A-body short tail overdrives come in two flavors, one with the big mainshaft for V8s that takes a 727 yoke
and the smaller one that takes the 904 yoke.
Each of these uses it's own rear bearing and the tail is finished out for each matching bearing.
There are also two non-interchangeable gearsets
The V8 has a 21tooth overdrive gear, and
small mainshaft has an 18tooth overdrive gear.
Between these gearsets no parts are interchangeable save for the MS low.
The synchronizers are different front to rear but otherwise swap between the V8 and the /6.
All front bearings are the same AFAIK.
The rear bushings and seals are also different, for the matching yokes.
The mainbox,retainers,sidecovers, and forks can all be swapped around.
You can make a longtail by robbing a chevy MS and tail off an 80s pick-up truck, with an A833 in it. You can rob the whole trans but the Input is distinctly Chevy, and from what I remember, the gears were either different from the Mopar. or they were /6 stuff with the weaker 18t od gear.

Just make your own linkages, I used 3/8 hollow steel tube from Lowe's bent it to shape with my map gas torch. Then i welded a 5/16(i think?) Bolt on the end for the adjuster. On the other end i welded on a junk bolt, cut the threads off and bent the shank 90 degrees and then drilled a small hole through it for the spring clip.

Like Matt, but I used 7/16 I.D. cold-rolled. I cut the ends off some old junk linkages and plug-welded them into my new custom bent rods.
I used the bigger tubes because I had a longtail and I moved the shifter back some 8 inches.

The shape of the link rods really doesn't matter as long as they don't hang up on the car body or anything else. You could make them like a cork screw and they work. The shop that did some work on my car was trying to mount a Passon A855 in a 73 Charger with a 800hp 572 Hemi in it. Well it hadn't been done yet and that car has an isolated K member and trans cross member so now he gets to make custom shift rods.
One of the threaded ends on mine was bent and it snapped off at the thicker part when I tried to straighten it with some heat. Drilled it out and tacked a threaded rod in and all better now.

-
Back