A-833 Rapping

-

convcuda69

Reaction score
help

I recently installed an 833 4 speed in my 69 cuda, I believe it is out of a 67 car. The tranny raps / knocks in 1rst, 2nd, and 3rd gear but is fine in fourth. The rap does not change tempo as I speed up, but does get louder as I add more throttle / torque. I have tried to realign the tranny, could this be an alignment issue or linkage adjustment problem or is the tranny in need of repair. I have noticed the linkage rods are worn and need to be replaced. Looking for any advice on how to deal with this problem.

convcuda69

I would say that if you have an internal knock in the trans it needs some type of repair.Knocking inside would not be caused by needing linkage adjustment I don't think.I would say it is time for it to be freshened up.

Bobby

Thanks for responding

I should have opened it up before installing it. Time was tight and I hoped for the best. This was a full conversion from auto to standard and I wanted to drive the car this summer. I may pull the tranny and take a look inside. I am just trying to avoid doing any work I don't have to if it's a simple adjustment. I am going to talk to a tranny shop next week before tearing into the car again.

convcuda69

I have some spare parts left over from when I rebuilt my 4 speed for my 383-S barracuda. I had to buy a couple of parts trannies to get my back into shape. Let me know if you need anything.
Rod

You got internal problems, one bad bearing on either the input shaft or the cluster will cause enough gear tooth misalignment to give you anything from a whining sound to a rattling sound. Either way a bearing changeout is a relatively easy job.

Rod

Thanks for the offer. It's nice to know people are willing to help out. I am probably going to pull the unit and look inside. I know Brewers has a rebuild kit which covers all the seals and bearings I might need. I thought it might be pressure on the input shaft due to alignment issues. I just want to drive the car. It's been one project after another since I bought it a few years ago. I now have a new 340 bored and stroked running 11:1 compression with a 480 lift Lunati cam, Edlebrock heads / manifold. Runs strong just need to get the tranny right. I am using a centerforce dual friction clutch setup.

Wish me luck, Demon seed thanks for your response.

Steve

Sounds to me like a chipped tooth on the input's drive gear, or possibly on the cluster gear that mates to the input.

It's less noticeable in 4th because it has no load going through the cluster gear.

You'll likely need both an input and a cluster gear, but you might get lucky and have the cluster gear or the input still be in good shape, depending on which is bad.
They may both be.

Mark.

What I don't get is that the tempo does not change. I would think the knock or rap would speed up or slow down with the rev of the engine or speed of the car, it does not. It only gets louder when I step on the throttle. Everything in the tranny should spin at different rates and at a higher speeds than the rap I hear. The input shaft should spin with the flywheel which is much faster than the rap which is every second or two. Is there anything in the tranny which spins at a constant speed regardless of the rpm and the gear your in. Would first gear spin faster than 3rd etc. Even the output shaft should be relative to the rpm I would think.

Steve

Well, supposition and query is only that.
It's going to require at least tearing the side cover off and looking.
I stand by my original diagnoses, though.

Mark.

I definitly think it is bearing related. I put it up on stands and went through the gears with no problem regardless of the rpm. Problem only appears under load 1-3rd. It's coming out tonight, time to give it a good once over so it's ready for the fall.

Thanks to every one who answered.

Steve

-
Back