A big thanks for the tech help ..But.

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Some of our members here seen I was looking to go to an automatic in my
66 Valiant sedan :thumblef: But after thinking about it I and my family helped me understand that if I had A/C I would make some long road trips in her.
I have a great 170/6 engine and is flawless from the trans to every bearing and
suspension... So it looks like I will be putting A/C in my car and wait another year to go automatic :cheers:
I have been saving some cash up and have been looking for a trans for my 66 170/ car, but I think adding A/C will make me take it out on the open road more and enjoy the simplicity of my 3 on the tree 3 speed shifting on the high way.
I want to thank all the members that has helped me try and find an automatic and directing me in the right direction on what has got to be dun to fit an automatic to the back of my 66 170/ engine :thumblef: I learned allot :glasses7:

We have very long summers here and I think it will be a great upgrade for Victoria, she will not be a racer so she will be a cool cruiser, and see how many miles we can enjoy together. I have backed out of some road trips and I think this is a good investment for her, she is no racer or V8 car, but after all the upgrades I have dun and have been testing I am thinking this is the way to spend my money I have been putting back.
My mechanic/street rod builder friend said we will get my dual pod M.C in and frame connectors in all at the same time with the Vintage A/C.

I just wanted to update all the folk's/friends here that brought this lady in my life and let you all know I am still moving forward :thumblef:

Attachments

• Blydville drive away cancer 070.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 340
  • Blydville drive away cancer 096.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 337
  • Blydville drive away cancer 050.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 342
I've actually been thinking along the lines of ??? something like ??? a trunk mount evap to keep the dash area clear.

I've actually been thinking along the lines of ??? something like ??? a trunk mount evap to keep the dash area clear.
:-k ??? :dontknow: ??? OK I am lost :eek:fftheai:.. :-s

I have a 65 and 66 904 auto transmissions sitting doing nothing for over 5 yrs.
All you need to put an auto in ...is a tranny cooler zip tied to the front of your radiator with hard lines routed to it, the trans bolts right in and you can leave the pedals if you want...a torque convertor and flex plate and cheapo floor shift.....done.
I put an auto in my brother 66 in a matter of about 2 hrs and an 18 pack of bud.
A/c retro fit kits cost 800 bucks for a decent one, but are very straight toward in installation.
Best of luck , mike, with whichever path you take.

I have a 65 and 66 904 auto transmissions sitting doing nothing for over 5 yrs.
All you need to put an auto in ...is a tranny cooler zip tied to the front of your radiator with hard lines routed to it, the trans bolts right in and you can leave the pedals if you want...a torque convertor and flex plate and cheapo floor shift.....done.
I put an auto in my brother 66 in a matter of about 2 hrs and an 18 pack of bud.
A/c retro fit kits cost 800 bucks for a decent one, but are very straight toward in installation.
Best of luck , mike, with whichever path you take.

Thank you, Yes I learned that it must be a 66 or 67 trans because I am not going to put a push button trans in my car, the /6 trans is a direct fit, even the drive shaft, but the ones I find are far away , have it shipped or drive to pick it up and have it rebuilt with a good T converter the expenses are about the same in the long run, gas, shipping,rebuild so on :shock: I have dun the math and looking forward to getting a/c installed :thumblef:

Yes memike, it's your decision on which way to go, and you can always do the tranny further down the track.
Long hot summers in an old car with no air con is a little hard on us modern spoilt drivers. We struggle on hot days without that cooling air don't we?

Anyway, good luck with the air con project and keep us posted and add some pics won't you.
Regards
Gary

Memike, just be aware, of the compressor mount you use. Most of the ones sold, have clearence problems on an "A" body.

Good choice on the a/c Mike.
Then when you finally do the automatic conversion, you will be cool AND smooth!

Not really clear on the/6 but I have a bunch of F bodies one has 32000 miles if that helps they also have air

Not really clear on the /6 but I have a bunch of F bodies one has 32000 miles if that helps they also have air

"A" bodies had air also. It is when you try to do aftermarket air, then there is a problem. Especially the 66 and older. There is no direct fit evaporator to fit up behind the dash. It can be done but requires a fair bit of modifying. A under dash unit (knee knocker) is also an option.
When adding a compressor mount and drive to the engine, most aftermarket units, add a pulley to the front of the crank damper, forward of the PS pulley. This requires the compressor to be mounted pretty far forward, and the fan will hit the compressor clutch. There is very little room to move the fan forward to clear without getting the fan into the radiator.
I sell a compressor mount and drive that uses the OEM factory drive pulley (is located between the damper and the timing cover) and the "Sanden" style compressor. This allows the compressor to be mounted more to the rear, and also further outboard. There is no problem with fan/radiator clearence. also fits with most aftermarket intake and exhaust.

Did you see the picture of a homemade a/c built on a styofoam ice chest ?
Yeah it was cheezy looking but doesn't have to be. I see vintage metal clad ice chests at the flea market often. Something like a BMW rear defrost blower could mount under the lid too. Sit it up in the back seat, poke it drain and power connector out where a seat belt would, add ice. Will the ice cost more than the fuel millage difference of conventional a/c ? Who knows.
I do think that proper cabin insulation, a little window tinting and this homemade alternative would make the long rides a heck of a lot more tolerable if not totally comfortable.
For the short drives a couple of frozen jugs could be your companions. The jugs would need corrugated sides to be more efficient. Have I put too much thought into this ? LOL

Yes memike, it's your decision on which way to go, and you can always do the tranny further down the track.
Long hot summers in an old car with no air con is a little hard on us modern spoilt drivers. We struggle on hot days without that cooling air don't we?

Anyway, good luck with the air con project and keep us posted and add some pics won't you.
Regards
Gary
Thank you Gary :hello2: Yes, if I had a/c I would be one step closer to having a great cruiser for some travel time, I have not had an a/c car or truck in well over 15 years, My wife has always had a/c :thumblef:
My engine, trans, rear end, wheel bearings, suspension are good to go and
at this time I think enlarging my front brakes and dual pod M.C. and do my frame connectors at the same time as adding A/C (Vintage Air) will be a big move in a positive direction because I have everything to do this so I can see how many miles I can put on my little /6 Valiant of a car I have been blest with. Yes Pictures will fallow :thumblef:

Memike, just be aware, of the compressor mount you use. Most of the ones sold, have clearence problems on an "A" body.
Thank you Charrlie_S, My friend over the hill has dun /6 cars and one was a 66 Dart about 3 years ago, He worked for a custom builder for 6 years and they still send work to him, Rodgers Customs is the name of the place I believe, and he has many years of installing these a/c systems and fabrication skills with all the tools and knowledge to get all this dun, he said it will be best to remove all of my air box system, He has put this system in all of his car's and doing my son's 50 ford truck now :glasses7: It has been on his rack for a couple weeks know and it has a new coil spring, rack system, power disk brakes dun and now moving forward to paint on the engine bay.
Yes I am blessed to have a friend just 1/2 mile away that has a great 3 bay shop with a lift,spray booth and every tool you can imagine :coffee2:

My friend over the hill said Vintage air is the way (only way) to go in his opinion and has a $250.00 dolor gift card he won/was given to him, he has installed about 30 of them he said in the last 6 years :shock:
He is no rookie thats for sure :thumblef:

Not really clear on the/6 but I have a bunch of F bodies one has 32000 miles if that helps they also have air
Yes Lee that would work with some modes, but my /6 and running gear just has 68.000 easy miles on it :thumblef: The problem with getting a auto trans behind my 170/ is the input shaft, it has got to be a 66 or 67 18 spline 904 only made for 2 years, I did have a line on a couple but after transport/expense getting it home and then rebilding it allong with a new T.Converter and labor it was about the same cost for me.
I can live with the three speed shifting on the tree for another year and getting a new small a/c system installed will make me a happy camper :thumblef: This will be enjoyed and my new/refreshed 360 will now go in my Ramcharger thanks to your flex plate you sent me :cheers:
Creed picked up the bell housing a couple days ago, and I see he has bought a new clutch pack and pressure plate by looking at my NAPA bill and had his flywheel surfaced :thumblef: He said he is going to put it on there run stand and break in the new turned crank and bearings and cam :happy2:
He drove 2 cars at a track close to Pettit Jean Mt. this last weekend, not his cars but he said the Modified class he drove was a Dodge small block in a Dakota body and won a heat race and took 3rd in the main (13 cars on the track) one truck body and he said it held 6.500 rpm all around the track.
Thank you very much and :hello2: this morning, I think my little 170/ has allot of life in her and I like the idea of going with a new and improved system for my time and $$, Then the day I give her a coat of paint I will be a proud owner of a long haul driver :glasses7:

"A" bodies had air also. It is when you try to do aftermarket air, then there is a problem. Especially the 66 and older. There is no direct fit evaporator to fit up behind the dash. It can be done but requires a fair bit of modifying. A under dash unit (knee knocker) is also an option.
When adding a compressor mount and drive to the engine, most aftermarket units, add a pulley to the front of the crank damper, forward of the PS pulley. This requires the compressor to be mounted pretty far forward, and the fan will hit the compressor clutch. There is very little room to move the fan forward to clear without getting the fan into the radiator.
I sell a compressor mount and drive that uses the OEM factory drive pulley (is located between the damper and the timing cover) and the "Sanden" style compressor. This allows the compressor to be mounted more to the rear, and also further outboard. There is no problem with fan/radiator clearence. also fits with most aftermarket intake and exhaust.
Let me see and get the kit part # I will be using Charrie_S , I do not have power steering, she and I don't need it :D, If I need the compressor mount and drive that uses the OEM factory drive pulley I hope I can get on sent my way, I will see what my tech friend see's, and if we need one I will get with you on that :happy2:.

This sounds like a "cool" upgrade and one that suits your needs. I like it.
Thank you mopar79sean, I know it will make a good upgrade and make my driving time so much more comfier :thumblef:

Did you see the picture of a homemade a/c built on a styofoam ice chest ?
Yeah it was cheezy looking but doesn't have to be. I see vintage metal clad ice chests at the flea market often. Something like a BMW rear defrost blower could mount under the lid too. Sit it up in the back seat, poke it drain and power connector out where a seat belt would, add ice. Will the ice cost more than the fuel millage difference of conventional a/c ? Who knows.
I do think that proper cabin insulation, a little window tinting and this homemade alternative would make the long rides a heck of a lot more tolerable if not totally comfortable.
For the short drives a couple of frozen jugs could be your companions. The jugs would need corrugated sides to be more efficient. Have I put too much thought into this ? LOL
Believe me RedFish :D I have thought about this and investigated the posabilities of this, but it does take up room and from what I have seen they work real good in a truck cab on hot dry days, but humidity is a big deal here in Arkansas, that will keep the cooling system working double time and require way to much supplies , Yes I have thought about running a suppy into a cooler and doing this :D

Does the A/C have to be an "In Dash" setup?

Because you can pick up an Under-Dash unit for almost nothing, then you just need to add a compressor and condenser. Dodge Motorhomes usually have "Chrysler" badged Under-Dash A/C Units that will fit in pretty any car or truck.

People are always parting them out/tearing down RV's for the aluminum and steel. That's how I got a few of the Under-Dash A/C units, and they were free too.

Here's one I pulled out of a motorhome I was scrapping, I set it aside to install in my '65 Barracuda. Yes it's small, that is an A-Body AM Radio propping it up.

Yes I have seen these and would not mind going this direction, but I think the evaporator and condenser/compressor and dryer should be a match :thumblef:
I know I can hang one and get a dryer and compressor lines and everything and once I go threw all of that I am still running the old HP robbing compressor and have to locate the high and low pressure lines and ones all of this is added up in cost I would rather throw another $200.00 at it and get the best bang for my buck so to speak. I really want this to be a updated system if I am going to make this move on getting A/C in my 66 that will not plug up and carry on cooling after I am gone :D I hope this makes cents, I was an hvac tec back in the day for homes, and I think a matching system is a must do.
Just another step toward having my little early A body move in to the future.

"COOL" plan Mike! One of those ad-on systems from the '60's would be a conversation piece but I agree a new set-up will serve you better.

Back in the '80's my Mom got a/c installed on her '66, the comfort it provided was well worth it.

"COOL" plan Mike! One of those ad-on systems from the '60's would be a conversation piece but I agree a new set-up will serve you better.

Back in the '80's my Mom got a/c installed on her '66, the comfort it provided was well worth it.
I believe you are correct David, all of the cars my friend has (3) has this system in them, a 66 mustang, 26 Hudson and a 58 Ranchero that has been flawless for over 5 years now. he installed all of them at his home shop.
They are very quit and will freeze you out, and the compressor is small as is most of the components.

Mike My cousin had a 66 Barracuda with Slant 6 factory 4 speed In the early 70's. I loved driving that car. Wouldn't it be an easy task to put a 4 speed in your car? I don't know about the early A's but the later the bellhousings are the same. Nothing is as durable as a standard trans for those long drives when your sucking up the A/C. Keep it durable.

I think the AC is a great idea. It has been so humid the last two weeks, it's impossible to get away from it without AC or a pool or a lake.
It will make your car much more useable.

Mike My cousin had a 66 Barracuda with Slant 6 factory 4 speed In the early 70's. I loved driving that car. Wouldn't it be an easy task to put a 4 speed in your car? I don't know about the early A's but the later the bellhousings are the same. Nothing is as durable as a standard trans for those long drives when your sucking up the A/C. Keep it durable.
I must agree on these standard Transmissions Oldmanmopar :thumblef:
They get better mpg and don't rob me of what little HP I have :D
Yes, I could one day, but for know I am happy with my old trans, it does not have the needed tailshaft that I would have to have to put a good floor shifter in it.
But Like you said an a833 :-# I think that is the proper name for it, 4 speed would go in easy enough, put a floor shift hump in and hope I can keep my bench seat, witch I believe I can. :hello2:

I think the AC is a great idea. It has been so humid the last two weeks, it's impossible to get away from it without AC or a pool or a lake.
It will make your car much more useable.

There you are SSVDP Let me thank you here for all the time you put in helping me find an automatic :hello2: Enjoyed talking to you the other day.
Yes, I think (along with my son and wife) that if I had A/C I would indeed enjoy many road trips. The only time I use my clutch is taking off and going in reverse
I have been driving this great lady many years and I have no clutch shifting down.
I have not moved or drove Victoria in 3 weeks, :eek:ops: I did drive her to Big Al's for breakfast one day last week, but it has been raining here for 3 weeks strait and I need to get out there and put my driving tires back on the front.
I stuck the little skinny 13'' on to redeem myself at the track :burnout:
witch I did :D

Attachments

• George Ray's 2013 039.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 186
  • George Ray's 2013 088.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 209
  • My first win 2013 George Rays 056.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 174

Good choice. Damn you're smooth..... :glasses7:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjRRgAYWnUA"]Damn we're smooth - YouTube[/ame]

I have been doing some research and this was a good read for me and will conceder looking at a /6 A/C compressor mount from an aspen, Looks like I can give d5667 some business or Charrie_S. This is a good right up and I can see what he did to put Vintage air in his 64 Valiant .
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/vintage-air/Vintage_Air.htm

Well I just found what I think I will be using
I wanted to attach it here so I can find it again, Yes it is for a /6
http://www.ebay.com/itm/59-60-61-62...Parts_Accessories&hash=item231a8f179f&vxp=mtr

-
Back