A body 8 3/4 questions

-

RedScampi

Reaction score
Well here's an update on my 8 3/4. I got this for shipping and a couple of RC cars. :) It's an A body 4" bolt circle unit, and I didn't know till I got it home that it was a 489 case. I also didn't know it was a suregrip until I got the axles out. That's the good news. The bad news is that it hasn't had any fluid in it - maybe for a long time. It has surface rust all over the inside and it's frozen at the moment. I was going to go get a big bucket of solvent and start soaking the chunk. Sandblast the housing. Then what? This is my first time diassembling a rear of any kind. Do you think any of this will be useable?

P1020808 (Large).jpg

P1020809 (Large).jpg

P1020810 (Large).jpg

P1020811 (Large).jpg

P1020812 (Large).jpg

P1020813 (Large).jpg

P1020814 (Large).jpg

P1020815 (Large).jpg

P1020816 (Large).jpg

P1020817 (Large).jpg

Dunno friend. I think I'd try that electrolisis process first. Then have every little piece of it bead blasted. It wont be cheap to save that one any way you approach it. Good luck

Get the pumpkin apart and have it tanked. That will clean up most of the rust on it and also give you an opportunity to inspect the internals. Tear the SG down and tank it too. The cone SG is pretty easy to rebuild.

Gears are hard to say, might be good, might not, depends on pitting.

It will definitely need all new bearing IMHO. No way around that.

Don't forget. ring gear bolts are left handers.

You appear to have a bunch of useable parts. All the typical wear parts, like gears, bearings, etc, I would replace anyway, since you got the axle so cheap. Soak the whole chunk in solvent until you have reasnable assurance that bolts won't snap off. Check the spline on the axles to be sure its worth using. If not, axles are also easily found in the aftermarket.

You are going to put a bunch of work in this, do it right and go for the good stuff.

Thanks for all the good advice guys. I also talked with a guy I work with who is a Mopar enthusiast who does all his own work(he has 5 finished cars and 1 in the works). He said that the main thing is to get it apart to see if the cones are in decent shape. He called this an "Auburn" unit as opposed to a "Dana". He says that if the cones are bad that it is not rebuildable. I will work on getting this thing opened up and get some pictures of the internals. At this point I am hopeful since the rust inside appears to be just moderate to heavy surface rust with no pitting visible.

-
Back