A Body Aftermarket Tach Size

-

3yearcuda

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help me with a size of tach to order from Autometer or VDO, etc. to fit in the stock opening of my 1969 Barracuda instrument cluster. I took out the glass face to measure the opening and it is currently 2 5/8", but i can open it to 2 7/8" pretty easilly. I cant open it much more than that without losing the chrome trim around the opening, so if anyone can let me know of what worked for you I would be very greatful, thanks.

Attachments

• Tach.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 330
I've seen only 1 aftermarket tach installed in this panel. Was a dang mess too. The instrument housing and bezel were butchered, the adjust stems and such sticking out the back of the tach were crushed against the column support, its wiring was pinched and shorted.
Cleaning up that previous owners mess cost atleast twice what it cost to create the mess.
Year One, ebay, lots of places offer a tach that does fit like OEM.

Got one to replace the factory vacuum gauge in my Dart. Think I got it from Auto Instruments. OEM fit and look.

My dad installed an older Sunpro Super Tach II (probably 20 years ago) in the Rallye Cluster on my grandfather's 71 Twister when the original Tach died.

As far as I know he didn't have to butcher the cluster to fit it in (I believe he removed the entire tach from its aftermarket housing and mounted it in the cluster without the housing). A quick look online shows the Smaller Super Tach II is still available too. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sun-cp7906/overview/

The one in my grandfather's Twister has a different face, but that's not surprising since I imagine they've changed the look a little bit after 20+ years :D

Thanks for the feedback. I cant bring myself to spend $240 plus shipping/duty, etc. for a factory tach from year one or the other chinese ones out there, and ebay has nothing that i'm willing to risk spending money on. So.....went with this. Should be in in a couple of days and i'll be sure to post a pic of the completion.
I went this route after viewing this thread where i think this 3 3/8 tach looks fantastic.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=175614&highlight=Tach+gauge

Attachments

• Tach1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 243
Well, got it in and it looks and works fantastic. Lots of room at the back and no butchering of the instrument housing. I had to take the tach apart and remove the chrome trim around the outside and the plastic lens, but after that it fit perfect and with a good hot glue gun and die grinder, it was a piece of cake. Saved a couple hundred bucks, did a bit of hot rodding and got what I believe is a more visible reading tach than the original, that my Barracuda never came with. Sweet.

Attachments

• old.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 197
  • new.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 187
  • tach.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 153
-
Back