A-Body Dash Restoration

-

Mike Gallo

Reaction score
I'm restoring the dash on my 1973 Dart Sport 340 and I purchased the vinyl woodgrain overlay from Classic Industries. The install instructions only talks about making sure the surface is clean, duh. With all the cut outs I know I'm going to need to move the vinyl around a bit to get it in the right spot. I'm concerned it's going to stick as soon as it makes contact. Any advice on how to install? Detroit Muscle appears to sell the same ones (for less money) and they say to use Windex and wipe dry.

I'm restoring the dash on my 1973 Dart Sport 340 and I purchased the vinyl woodgrain overlay from Classic Industries. The install instructions only talks about making sure the surface is clean, duh. With all the cut outs I know I'm going to need to move the vinyl around a bit to get it in the right spot. I'm concerned it's going to stick as soon as it makes contact. Any advice on how to install? Detroit Muscle appears to sell the same ones (for less money) and they say to use Windex and wipe dry.
Wet the surface with water to allow it to “skate” on the surface to position correctly. I’ve seen sloth of you tubers use this method to place decals on restorations

I might add.......Make yourself some sort of soft "squeegee", and once the decal is where you want it, squeegee it to squeeze the water out from behind the decal (start in the center and work your way out to the edges to avoid bubbles and wrinkles) being careful not to move the decal. I used to use a stiff body filler applicator with a soft cloth over the edge to keep from scratching the decal. I also heard of using soapy water, but we used transfer fluid! Good luck,

I've use the product "Rapid Tac" for years. It allows you to reposition vinyl decals and should be the product to use for dash pads too.

I used windex and it works great.
I have found Detroit Muscle products to be superior to anything else I have used if you have a choice. As you noted they are usually cheaper too.

Windex and a small squeegee with do the trick. Apply a generous amount of Windex and work from a top corner. The Windex allows you to reposition and allows space between the two surfaces to get any bubbles out. Google 4” 3M vinyl applicator, if you want to use those, or you can use a new micro fiber towel as well. I’ve also used a piece of plastic that I wrapped soft/female side of Velcro around one end, to create a soft, but rigid tool to safely apply graphics without scratching the vinyl.

-
Back