A-Body Gas tank/straps and sending unit - best ones??

-

wkroncke17

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking to install a a new gas tank in My '72 Demon. Who re-makes the best one? I'd like to get the stainless straps also,does anyone make them?
What about sending units? Is stock 5/16? I'd like 3/8??
Any tips or ideas on where to find,how to install,or any extra installation tips would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks guys!
Wally.

I'll second that Adam. I bought a tank, 3/8'' sender, strap, and line kit from quanta and it all fit perfect. They have my vote. toolmanmike

Thanks for the link Adam, I didnt even know they existed. Looks like a good outfit!

FYI, i just bought a tank, sending unit, strap and all the necessary rubber products from Quanta Products. When they arrived they were all Spectra products that I could have bought at the local auto parts store or RockAuto.com for about a hundred dollars cheaper.

Just thought someone else might be able to use the info.

I got my gas tank, sending unit, j-bolts, and straps from Quanta also. Good stuff and it fit perfect. Use WD-40 on the grommet to help slip the filler neck in.
And don't over tighten the j-bolts. Its a good idea to buy the sending unit tool instead of knocking the ring around with a hammer.

shrunkfinishedunder.jpg

I used a hammer and drift punch to tighten the lock ring. Since everything was brand new, I got to do it on the kitchen table. It was a lot easier than laying on your back in between the rear end and a cold concrete floor.

I'm not saying anything bad about the company and the one stop shopping was kinda nice, but the same parts can be purchased elsewhere cheaper. They are selling the same Spectra fuel parts that my local auto parts store is selling. So maybe we should start a thread saying how good Spectra fuel tanks and sending units fit.

Did anybody ever try vans automotive? I was going to buy from them nobody had a better price. seems like the same stuff. just a lot cheaper. www.vansauto.com

I used there fuel tank only,had to reuse my old lock ring the new one
wouldnt lock down right.Sender took some handling to get in the pick up
tube was pushing on the bottom of the tank.

I just looked at Van's site and their part number is remarkably similar to the Spectra part #. Their price was $95 cheaper than Quanta and $20 cheaper than RockAuto. I don't think that there's probably too many companies manufacturing these tanks, just a bunch of companies distributing one product.

I had a little trouble getting mine to seal properly also. The sending unit was a tight fit into the tank and I guess the gasket slipped. Took it back out and reassembled it, everything seems to be ok now.

-
Back