A body guy needs B body brake help.

-

No Smog Swinger

Reaction score
My 67 factory original 383 formula s has the disc brakes with the 4.5 bolt circle, one rotor is shot, I have surrendered on trying to find a replacement but thought I'd give it one more shot before changing everything to the 73 up style. Anybody know where I can find relatively decent 4.5 set of A body 67 to 70 rotors? NOW for my new dilemma, I just picked up a screaming yellow and black 73 charger 340 clone for a song. My buddy gave up on it because he could not get the brakes to work. He had converted the non power discs to power by adding a new master cylinder and booster combo from kragens, but even after bleeding the brakes and master cylinder the pedal goes all the way to the floor and barely starts to move the wheel cylinders. My buddy told me that this is the third master cylinder booster combo he had tried. I've checked and everything looks fine. With the engine off I get good pedal after bleeding the brakes, but as soon as I start the engine the pedal just sinks like a rock! HHHHELPPP! Raul.

Hello, Chuck, my understanding is that all big block a bodies came with 4.5" circles, maybe I'm wrong? Raul.

Do you have the 4 piston kelsey hayes set-up? On my 67 cuda I used 74 disks, had to remove the caliper use a c clamp to hold the piston and turn the caliper till the highest spot was at the bleeder...you couldn't imagine how much air came out. That was trapped when it was on the car!

Hello, Chuck, my understanding is that all big block a bodies came with 4.5" circles, maybe I'm wrong? Raul.

Thats incorrect. No a bodys used the 4.5" bolt circle till 1973 disc brake cars.

:finga::finga::finga::finga::finga:Robbie2734, you should add afew more nombers to your name! Your suggestion worked perfectly for the brakes, I never would have guessed at such a simple solution, Lord knows I guessed at evrything else! I don't feel so bad though, some of the BEST Mopar guys in the Bay Area were not able to figure this one out! Even though they don't charge me any money, they sure do eat and drink! I owe you!Raul
:angry6::angry6::angry6:Now for the Barracuda project! The 67 that we are rebuilding(I usaually just watch) was originally a Pomona California Shadoff car that spent years on dirt tracks in Utah, my brother found it in Hemming sitting in a farmers junk yard, even though it looked worse than it was he started working on it (he has about 6 killer Mopars in various stages) when he realized he did'nt have time for it he passed it on to me. It is looking awesome and as soon as I can figure out how to post pictures, I will. Weird thing is it had a 4" bc rotor on one side and a 4.5" on the other, I can only guess that perhaps the 4.5's were available as replacement parts at one time and one made it onto this vehicle. I ordered 4.5" through partsamerica when they arrived the box said it contained rotors for '67 to'73 383 Dart. We rebuilt the front end using PST 383 Barracuda original style. When we went to install the rotors they seemed to fit, new bearings and seals as well. The BIG problem is the spindle nut torgues down the rotor befors going far enough to fit the kotter pin, I was wondering if perhaps some minor machining? Anyone ever run into this? Raul.

Thats incorrect. No a bodys used the 4.5" bolt circle till 1973 disc brake cars.

actually, i believe the 68 ss cudas and darts had 4.5" brakes up front since they had 4.5" bp for the dana 60 out back.

B-bodies of the same era had 4 piston calipers and the 4.5" bolt pattern. Maybe someone swapped the B-body stuff onto your car at one time?

Chuck

I learned that trick from Jim Bobbit automotive, a good friend..No, not that Bobbit! He races a BBC on the circle track, but otherwise he's ok!

-
Back