A body header choice PLEASE HELP

-
Someone on the site showed a new pair of Shorty headers. I believe from TTi. I would go with the shorties to avoid the problems with tight fit.

Well there you go. I was looking at the application list on Summit. Sounds like it's been done by a few members as well, which is more important anyway. I was just going off the list, all my cars are floor shifts.

Bryan, that is the problem with summit, they haven't updated those descriptions in years.

Dougs also fit 73-76 cars, but, neither Dougs or summit list them as fitting.

Bryan, that is the problem with summit, they haven't updated those descriptions in years.

Dougs also fit 73-76 cars, but, neither Dougs or summit list them as fitting.

Yup, live and learn. Normally I can go off of one of the cars I have myself, but I converted my only auto on the column to a 4 speed. I can't remember if AutoZone listed the Doug's as fitting the 73-76 cars, I probably just looked them up by part number knowing it wouldn't make a difference anyway. They fit my '74 Duster just fine. :D

Someone on the site showed a new pair of Shorty headers. I believe from TTi. I would go with the shorties to avoid the problems with tight fit.

I have a set. It's still going to be a tight fit in some places with the shorties. Installation looks a few steps easier, but the starter and z-bar still have to come out according to the instructions. And they're only recommended for up to 450 hp, if that's an issue.

Its a 30 over 340 and I have a decent size cam to put in it, I was just looking to get the max that i can out of the cam once its in and everything.

I would still leave the manifolds until you start getting close to 400hp, I have TTI's on a car that went in without a dent but every time I work on the car I wish it still had manifolds.

I have a set of Schumacher headers, which I have heard fit as well or better than tti's

Those are an alternative that few seems to have noticed,have not seen many pics of them installed but they sure have the potential to be a real good thing!

So last weekend we installed the dougs headers I ordered. They fit nice and tight! A little trimming on the steering box and everything is great. Sounds great couldn't be happier with them.

did you have to remove steering column and torsion bar bar to get them in ? what about the starter,did you have to put a mini one in?

did you have to remove steering column and torsion bar bar to get them in ? what about the starter,did you have to put a mini one in?
Absolutely not, the only thing I had to do was put a mini starter in it. No need to remove torsion bar or steering column. Really easy install and great product so far.

TTI's fit Better the Dougs...

Except when they don't, which is a lot.

Once again, if you use the search button, you can find dozens and dozens of posts about people needing to dent TTI's. They also give less ground clearance than Doug's.

All of these cars are a little different. Doug's fit some cars better, TTI's fit some cars better. It's not universal that either one of them fits best, it depends on your car, what engine mounts you have, which transmission, what size torsion bars, your choice of aftermarket parts, etc.

TTI's might fit your car better, which is great. But there are plenty of cars out there that Doug's fit better. Just the way it is.

Except when they don't, which is a lot.

Once again, if you use the search button, you can find dozens and dozens of posts about people needing to dent TTI's. They also give less ground clearance than Doug's.

All of these cars are a little different. Doug's fit some cars better, TTI's fit some cars better. It's not universal that either one of them fits best, it depends on your car, what engine mounts you have, which transmission, what size torsion bars, your choice of aftermarket parts, etc.

TTI's might fit your car better, which is great. But there are plenty of cars out there that Doug's fit better. Just the way it is.

Well they fit both MY dusters WITHOUT any denting or dinging needed..so as far as I'M concerned TTI's fit better!!!

Well they fit both MY dusters WITHOUT any denting or dinging needed..so as far as I'M concerned TTI's fit better!!!

That's your uninformed opinion then. There are plenty of people that have installed Doug's without any "denting or dinging" too, some of them right in this thread, and more examples are just a search button away. There are also plenty of folks that have had to beat on their TTI's to make them work, also just a quick search away. And yes, there are folks that have had to beat on their Doug's headers to make them work.

Bottom line is there's enough body variance on these cars that neither header is a guaranteed fit. One brand of header usually fits better than the other when it comes to a specific car because the headers are a little different. Doug's give an extra 3/8" to 1/2" of ground clearance, for example. But it comes down to your particular car's tolerances and how it's equipped to determine which header that is. And I don't see where you said you even tried to install Doug's on your car, so, you honestly don't even know if they'd fit better or not. They could fit even better on your car than the TTI's for all you know. And yes, I've seen the posts where you reference your friend's car and how he wishes he had bought TTI's. But unless he's also tried TTI's on his car, he doesn't know he'd like them any better either. It really depends on the exact car involved which one is a better fit, and you won't know for sure which one fits your car best unless you've installed them both. And of course TTI and Doug's both have their own tolerances too, not every set is identical. When the gaps get down to less than a 1/4" a little bit of tolerance matters a lot.

a little ding here, a little ding there, is no big deal to me. I had b-body hedman headers on the b block in my 67 fastback, until upgrading to tti and still needed a couple dingys.

Dougs are better money wise. If you wanna spend a ton sure get tti's. My Dougs fit great and saved ALOT of money over buying the tti headers.

I bought TTI just because they were so pleasant to deal with dougs were kind of rude people. And as far as fit goes Chryslers weren't perfect on their specs from one car to another that's why you hear so many variations on how they fit I have a 4 speed and had to alter my z bar some people say they fit great without alteration

Dougs are better money wise. If you wanna spend a ton sure get tti's. My Dougs fit great and saved ALOT of money over buying the tti headers.

My TTI's cost the SAME as Dougs...so I guess you OVER paid for your Dougs...I hope YOU enjoy them:icon_fU::icon_fU:

Coated Dougs can still be had for a little over 500 with the discount code at autozone. Summit or Jegs have been matching the price on those as well. No way are you going to buy coated from tti for close to that price.

Whatever you do, do NOT get the long-tube Hooker headers. You won't be able to access your #5 and #7 spark plugs without pulling the header off of the studs. You also need plug wires with angled boots if you don't want to keep burning plug wires out. I would get a short-tube like the TTIs, they seem to give much more working room around the spark plug area.

Getting ready to buy some headers for my 73 Dart 340 Sport. I'm seriously considering the Schumacher Tri-Y headers. Very nice fit according to the pics on their web site and priced in line with Doug's and TTI. Quick response to my questions from Mike Schumacher. Check out the web site. Haven't seen much on FABO about Schumacher.

Leave the manifolds on it or go with tti ceramic coated inside and out fit good and keeps the heat down

-
Back