a-body headers

-

93toyota

Reaction score
I don't know why they are so complicated, but they are. Does anyone know any tricks on header inst. Got a 71 duster 318 3spd manual and the driver side header is hitting the steering box and rubbing the torsion bar. They are suppose to drop in. Apparently NOT. :evil:

How bad is it hiting the box u just might hav to junk the box if its a P/S box i had to when i installed my Dynomax headers

they are hedman headers and it is manual steering. It is hitting the lower mount and bolt on the steering box/pitman arm. Someone has to know how to do this. aaaarrrrrrgggg

Do yur motor mounts sag?if so u could get some new one to lift the motor alittle,or ive heard of some people using some sims with the motor mounts to lift the motor up a little to help give u some room
MIKE

Now when u look at how much more room u need,what do u think needs to be fixed?If u had a shim do u think it would work?just look an see what u think needs to happien an let us know

I took a sharpie and marked where it was rubbing. The took the damn thing out...AGAIN, and layed a rag over the #7 primary and smacked it with a ball peen and made it sunk in a little. Havent tried it yet. Going to see The Ring Two

93toyota said:
I took a sharpie and marked where it was rubbing. The took the damn thing out...AGAIN, and layed a rag over the #7 primary and smacked it with a ball peen and made it sunk in a little. Havent tried it yet. Going to see The Ring Two
YA that works to LOL :lol: Good movie buy the way scard the crud out of me :pale: :evil5: :evil1:

Hope you like exhaust leaks. Hedman, and Hooker are the worst fitting headers out. I don't think there is one out right now that don't leak. Dose anyone out there has one of these headers on there car right now and don't have any leaks? :bom:

Leaks where???? I am running a set of headmans on my car and never have had problems with leaks.

I have a cheap set of headers on my car. They were given to me. I dont even know what brand they are. Never had a leak.

My Hedmans don't leak. Not yet anyway. They'll leak like a mutha when I take them off with a torch.

Never again will I buy hedman or hooker headers. Junk!!!

There's no doubt my Heddmans leak some but then they are the large tube version with slip fit pipes. I love these headers by the way, cut the flanges and they can be installed without jacking the car up. I did have to open up the port adapter plate though and that was a major pain in the rear.

first headers i had where a set of hooker #5116 that was on the car when i bought the car and those were realy nice fitting! but i swaped those after a year or so becaus somone lowered the front of my car wish killed them att the first speedbump :roll:
then i bought a set of flowtech headers and they were perfekt! but those are also swaped now for a set of TTI headers and those are worth every $
and i have both powersteering and powerbrakes!

I have never had a leak although I customarily double gaskets. As far as the rubbing problem,...Instead of using the ball peen, take a short section of heavy guage steel pipe (like black pipe), lay down a rag or something similar and then give it a wack with a heavy hammer. This way you get a uniform indentation. I use a thin peice of rubber to lay down to avoid the pipe from moving when you whack it. It looks good too, almost as if they came that way. Its important to use a heavy hammer. Using the pipe also allows you to direct the angle of the crease that you may need.

another option is if your local mufflershop has the right size tools for bending the pipediameter your headers are construkted of then ask them to use blankplate tool and flaten the pipe a litle i have don it several times were i work!! remember its not possible if they dont have the proper size backshoes and if the pipe is to close to another pipe ( just a small tip from someone who has done it :wink: )

my HOOKER SUPER COMPS hit too....take the nut off, jack the motor up.

i took a 1/4" thick piece of steel plate,drilled a hole thru it and put it under the mount and it worked PERFECT!!!!

duster340 said:
another option is if your local mufflershop has the right size tools for bending the pipediameter your headers are construkted of then ask them to use blankplate tool and flaten the pipe a litle i have don it several times were i work!! remember its not possible if they dont have the proper size backshoes and if the pipe is to close to another pipe ( just a small tip from someone who has done it :wink: )
yup that works great done it here too :thumleft:

^^^ :scratch: 93 Yota huh!do u wheel it?my buddy has a 94 pretty fun little things :thumrigh:

-
Back