A - body hood hinge coil installation - How?

-

giggy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Awhile back I popped the coiled spring off my (1970 Duster) hood hinge to allow for the fiberglass 6 pack hood. I got rid of the 6 pack hood and am installing the original. The question is; how in the heck do you get the coiled spring back on? I have the hinge off the car but am having a hard time getting the coil back on with tension.

:help: :?:

I think I posted this in the wrong forum earlier...this is a repost

Are you referring to the coil hionge like the 70 swinger had? If so put the hinge on in the open position then attach the hood to it. You can't close these hinges by hand without the leverage of the hood.

Are you referring to the coil hionge like the 70 swinger had? If so put the hinge on in the open position then attach the hood to it. You can't close these hinges by hand without the leverage of the hood.

They should be the same, but I am talking about the actual coil that is on the hinge has been popped off. Now I am trying to put the coil back onto the hinge and can't seem to figure out how to apply tension and reconnect to the hinge.

I'm bumping this for you since I will be needing the same info.

Ever figure this one out??

Ever see one of those screwdriver type tools for installing brake springs on drums. You know the springs that are a total PIA to install. Make something similar to that tool.

Maybe a piece of small diameter round tube to slip over the post and slide the spring back on.

I think someone already suggested such a tool either here or on moparts.

Yes, I got them on. Had to make a simple tool out of a piece of angle iron. I will post the picture later. Wasn't too bad. Just need a vice and the tool.

seem like i hooked the rounded end then grabbed the flat center part with a pair of vicegrips. lock the hinge in a vice, put a 12" crescent wrench on the vicegrips and turn till the spring lines up with the slot enough to hook it. then tap the spring down the rest of the way with a hammer.

-
Back