A body lighting Swap

-
I work for a new car dealer and I see people installing these kits a lot. Personally, I'd rather just go with a quality H-4 halogen upgrade. I did this on my `74 Dart daily driver and it made a huge difference over the stock sealed beams. You have to wire in relays to protect your headlight switch from overloading and melting, but it's no more involved than installing aftermarket HID's which, in my opinion, don't compare to the factory systems. Plus if a bulb goes bad with H-4's, you can get a replacement at any Pep Boys or Auto Zone.

Here's the wiring schematic for the relays:
headlightrelays-vi.gif

These are the lights I used. They are a flat-faced Hella style that I found on-line used for about $40 w/ bulbs.
H4-vi.jpg

You can also add parking lamps in the base of these headlights.
H4a-vi.jpg

You can find new H-4 lenses for about $100 or so new.

Just my .02.... not to mention it's about $250 cheaper overall.

I did almost the same thing as fastback, but instead of going to the h4 headlights, I tried the sylvania silver star sealed beams and they work great, plus they were only 38 bucks each and available at auto zone

Thanks guys,im gonna do a painless wiring upgrade first on the duster but going with this swap looks alot more economical(H-4 or the sylvania's)

Automotive lighting is my professional field. I do research and writing; regulatory, technical, and product development consulting, sales, and I serve as an answer man on the subject for various groups and associations. I am not going to make a pitch for anyone to buy anything from me here; I firmly believe that the most important thing is to get proper, technically sound, factually correct information out there. Then people can make an educated decision to buy headlights from me or anyone else who sells good lights, or they can choose to disregard the facts and go buy bad ones from any of the many vendors who sell them.

"HID kits" in halogen-bulb headlamps (any kit, any headlamp, any vehicle -- including the ones from the many vendors who package it all up as a one-stop-shopping deal where you get your Chinese H4 headlights and your "HID kit" all in one box) do not work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal. See this page.

It's not true that any one kind of headlight (H4, HID, sealed beam, etc.) is necessarily better than any other kind of headlight...good headlights are good, and bad headlights are bad. Sylvania's heavily-advertised Silver Star line is junk, and none of the rest of their stuff is worth buying, either. Same goes for Wagner. Cheap H4s are junk, too. You don't have to spend a whack of cash to have good headlights, but bad headlights come at all price levels.

If you are after good, cheap headlights, that's easy. Get GE Night Hawk H6024NH. Sixteen bucks apiece from Amazon. They are the only sealed beams worth buying, and are substantially better than any sealed beams that have come before. They have all-new lens and reflector optics made on new tooling (all other sealed beams on the market are such junk in part because of outdated design, and in part because they're made on worn-out tooling, having remained unchanged for years).

If you are after good replaceable-bulb headlights, shop carefully. There's a lot of off-brand junk on the market, there are a lot of wrong-side-of-road headlights being brought in to appeal to the kids who drive Hondas and think anything meant for the Japanese market is obviously better, and even if you stick to the reputable brands worth buying (Hella, Bosch, Cibie), there is a large range of performance among them; they're not all the same and neither are they priced alike.

The same goes for bulbs; stick to Osram, Philips, or Narva, and always only ever buy bulbs with colorless clear glass. The blue glass "extra white" bulbs are a scam, a nonstarter as far as seeing better is concerned. Sylvania Silverstar/Ultra, PIAA, Hoen, BlueVision, CrystalVision, TruView, Nokya, Polarg, etc. -- all the same racket. They produce less light than ordinary bulbs and have a very short life due to the light blocked by the blue glass. All it does is change the beam color, which doesn't help anything (except arbitrary appearance fashion/style).

Xenon and halogen headlamps are two completely different technologies.
They look different because they're supposed to look different. Trying to
match the color of a Xenon headlamp with a halogen bulb is pointless and
counterproductive. It'll never look the way you want it to, and in the
meantime all you're doing is wasting money, reducing your seeing ability,
and creating glare. The "whiter light" and "high kelvin" verbiage that's being
used to sell lighting is bogus. There is no light that is "whiter" than that from a properly-powered halogen bulb with colorless clear glass. All of the so-called "extra white" bulbs use blue or purple glass to tint the light. This does not make the light "whiter", but it does make it significantly less
intense; the colored glass steals a great deal of light that would otherwise reach the road (this is obvious if you think about it; colored filters can only block light, they cannot increase it). There is no seeing advantage to so-called "whiter" light from bulbs with colored glass; in fact such bulbs put you at a distinct seeing disadvantage because of the reduced intensity. In
addition, these bulbs have a very short lifespan because the filament must
be driven very hard to get minimally legal levels of light through the
light-stealing colored glass.

If you are trying to see better, what you need is _more_ light, which will
look whiter *because* there's more light (not because it's tinted to try
to fool you into thinking there's more). For reference, here's manufacturer data*for output and lifespan at 13.2v for standard-wattage H1 bulbs.*The numbers here are a composite of values applicable to the products of*the big three makers (Osram-Sylvania, Philips-Narva, Tungsram-GE). Each*manufacturer's product in each category is slightly different but not*significantly so. *I picked H1-type bulbs for this comparison, and while*the absolute numbers differ with different bulb types, the relative*comparison patterns hold good for whatever bulb type we consider (H4, 9006, whatever).*Lifespan is given as Tc, the hour figure at which 63.2 percent of the*bulbs have failed.

H1 (regular normal):

1550 lumens, 650 hours

Long Life (or "HalogenPlus+")

1460 lumens, 1200 hours

Ultra Long Life (or "DayLight")

1430 lumens, 3000 hours

Plus-30 High Efficacy (CPI BrightLight, Osram Super, Sylvania Xtravision, Narva Rangepower,*Tungsram High Output, Philips Premium):

1700 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-50 Ultra High Efficacy (CPI Super Bright Light, Philips VisionPlus, Osram Silverstar, Narva*Rangepower+50, Tungsram Megalicht, but not Sylvania Silverstar):*

1750 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-80/90 Mega High Efficacy (Philips Xtreme Power, Osram Night Breaker):

1780 lumens, 340 hours

Blue coated 'extra white' (CPI Bright Light Blue, Osram CoolBlue, Narva Rangepower Blue, Philips*BlueVision or CrystalVision, Tungsram Super Blue or EuroBlue, Sylvania*Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra,*also PIAA, Hoen, Nokya, Polarg, etc):

1380 lumens, 250 hours

So that's the pattern for how lifespan and light output are related. It's worth noting that the lumen differences are not the extent of the performance differences. The filament changes required to make a long-life bulb tend to reduce the beam focus, which shortens seeing distance. And, the light color is less white and more brown. But lifespan is lengthened. The opposite filament changes are made to create the "Plus" (+30, +50, +80, +90) type bulbs: Lifespan is reduced, but the beam focus is better so seeing distance is longer. Light color is whiter and less brown. The takeaway message here is that even if all the filaments put out exactly the same amount of light — the same lumens from a long life, a +30, a +50, a +90, a regular, an ultralong-life, etc. — the headlamp performance and appearance with the long-life bulb would still be inferior compared to the same headlamp performance and appearance with a regular, or +30, or +50, or +80/+90 bulb.

Whatever filament-type headlights you install (sealed beams or H4 units), put in headlight relays and decent-gauge wire to bring full power to the lamps and take the workload off the in-car switches. None of the original wiring has to be cut, removed, or otherwise molested, and the switches keep working normally. Do it like this. Bulb output is not linear with voltage input, it's exponential to the power 3.4, so small voltage drops mean large losses in light output (and a dingy brown light color...this is what those blue-glass "whiter" bulbs are trying to cover up. :roll:). An additional advantage of this mod is that it keeps all the headlamp current on the engine side of the firewall, reducing the load on your ammeter.

If you are after HID headlights and nothing else will do, then don't futz around with an "HID kit" installed in a halogen light housing. Get a real HID headlamp. Prepare to open your wallet wide, and if you get the better-performing one (the XE7 rather than the XE7r), prepare for the front of your car to look like it needs a bra.

There's a new 7" round all-LED headlight available from Truck-Lite. It's DOT-legal, but its performance is pretty minimal. It's a few years yet before we can expect really great LED headlights. But they're certainly cool! Discussion here.

Aside from headlamps, info on how to make the rest of your car's lights work better is here.

(I'm not sure how long this post will be allowed to remain up. We'll just have to see.)

Dan,
Thank you for that good info. I've bookmarked it and certainly hope it doesn't "go away".
C

I did the same as fastback but used bosch headlights. I found them in a box at the recycling depot. They made a huge difference. I'll re use them after the resto,but upgrade the alt to a 100 amp 1 wire.

I agree that the H4 is still a better and easier upgrade than anything else.

Next instalment of info (also posted in another thread but wanted to add it here for "one stop shopping")

Headlight performance is very tricky to judge…headlights that create the subjective impression of "wow, these are great" (or even just "yeah, these are OK") aren't necessarily good—or even adequate—for minimal safety performance. The human visual system is a rotten judge of its own performance; it's really easy to create situations that make us feel we can see a lot better (or not nearly as well) as we think we can. Off-brand H4 lamps (anything not made by Cibie, Marchal, Carello, Hella, Bosch, Koito, Stanley, or Ichikoh) are a bad bet. If you do try out any replaceable-bulb headlight, make sure the bulb has uncoloured clear glass. No blue/purple/other tint, which just blocks light that would otherwise reach the road.

If you are looking for a modern-appearing headlamp (i.e., with a window-clear lens and jeweled optic reflector):

The current Jeep Wrangler (JK) has pretty headlights, and they are a direct swap in place of a 7" sealed beam (except for the socket, different for their H13 bulb than for the standard sealed beam or H4 type socket...you can get a good H13 socket here and a "looks like the back of a sealed beam or H4" plug from the same company here; add a few bits of wire to create the needed adaptor pigtail), and they're certainly adequate, legal, and safe. A lot of JK owners hate those lamps and swap them out for good H4s; scrounge around on the Jeep JK forums and you may find a pair of the JK lamps for cheap money. Use only original Chrysler ones; aftermarket OE-style replacement headlights (all of them) are trash. If you use the JK headlamp, use this H13 bulb.

Or use a set of Hummer H2 headlamps (a Visteon-made unit with a #9007 bulb, also sold by Truck-Lite with the adaptor pigtail) is also a direct swap for sealed beams. It is a poorer performer than the JK lamp, but again, it's safe and legal. When I was done with the set I had on my test bench, I sold 'em to my across-the-street neighbour for his '74 Valiant. He likes them better than the weak old original sealed beams. But like the JK lamps, they have plastic lenses that will eventually fog up and cloud over. If you use it, use this 9007 bulb. Note Truck-Lite also sells this H4 lamp with window-clear lens, advertised with completely made-up improvement numbers. It's imported from China and Truck-Lite got their butts handed to them after pushing this unit to over-the-road truckers...they (the lights, not the truckers) don't work very well and tend to fall apart. :roll:

If you want a decent-performing, well-made 7" headlamp with a window-clear lens, the options are very limited. It shouldn't be that way (doesn't take any more effort or cost to engineer good optics than bad ones) but it is. The only one I can think of that is worth a toss comes from a cooperative Harley-Davidson motorcycle dealership parts department. Part number is 68345-05. It's a European-code "right-dipping" (right-hand traffic, i.e., correct side of the road for the way we drive in North America) H4 unit with built-in parking light. Very well made, in America, by North American Lighting, a major original-equipment headlighting supplier. Comes with a little Harley Davidson logo in the middle, but you can easily pluck it off the lens when the lamp's hot. Tough glass lens, glass-filled thermoset reflector; OE-quality seal boot and O-rings, etc; good stuff. The domestic version isn't nearly as good; don't let the Harley dealer talk you into a different part number. Here's an online vendor selling them; don't know how the price compares but it's about right for this lamp.

The best standard-wattage H4 bulb on the market is this one; the best slightly-higher-than-stock-wattage H4 is this one, and the best bulb for the built-in parking light is this one. The built-in parking light is a separate socket O-ringed into the reflector a few inches away from the H4 bulb. It's not a turn signal or a daytime running light or anything, but a parking lamp. One wire to parking lamp feed, other wire to ground. It lights up the whole headlamp in a sort of "pilot light" manner. You may have to notch your headlamp bucket to clear the parking light socket.

If you want to spend a big whack of money and have world-class headlamps, it's these (the XE7, not the XE7R, which is not as good as the XE7 but still reasonably good). Bucket mods required!

If you want to spend about the same big whack of money and have "legal and adequate" (but that's all they are) headlamps with cool LED technology, it's these Truck-Lite units.

If you want to spend a huge whack of money and have headlamps with reasonable performance but super cool LED projector technology, it's these Speaker LED units.

-slantsixdan, the resident lighting geek :toothy10:

I guess I was ahead of my time........I ran Euro Cibie's back in the 70's.
Even got caught in California with them in my semi. Had a car coming at me on a foggy night with his brights on. I flicked mine on and off real quick and got no response. I flipped my high beams on again for about 2 seconds.
All I got was some red and yellow lights. He was not amused. Got a ticket and had to change them on the spot. I took my time which pissed him off even more.

The first set of 7 inch rounds I purchased had the added sockets in the bottom like shown above. That was the most pitifull excuse for a bulb socket I have ever seen. The socket for the H4 bulb wasn't much better. I cut that set up with a hacksaw and used the parts to mod my original park lamp fixtures. Then I bought a second set of better made 7 inch rounds for headlights.
After 3 years I can't recall either brand name or vendor.
Bottom line, you get what you pay for, and/or sometimes you dont. Good luck

The only one I can think of that is worth a toss comes from a cooperative Harley-Davidson motorcycle dealership parts department. Part number is 68345-05. :toothy10:[/QUOTE said:
Thank you SlantsixDan for the great info! I just placed my order for two of the 68345-05 housings from http://www.surdyke.com/hd/product.asp?prod=51490&cat=193 they are selling for $81.60 right now!

thanks for all this info,,, a lot of intresting reading and maybe its me,,but a lot of it is confusing,, i currently have H4 in my 66 and i know i need to add relays,, maybe i missed it but is there a value on a relay ?? or certian type for this ???

loveed the tip on the jeep head lites,,why do the jeep guys not like them ?? and are they brighter then old standard head lites?? if so ide gladly go with them,,if they are glass covers ?? thanks in advance,,

-
Back