a body overdrive bellhousing for 318/slant 6. Interchangeable?

-

69dartgt*

Reaction score
Acquired an overdrive bellhousing and transmission from a mid-70's a body about 20 years ago. I don't remember if it came from a 318 or slant 6. Maybe it fits both, but I believe it came out of a slant 6. I have all components except the original shifter. What is it worth?
TBCC4755[1].JPG
IMG_1694[1].JPG
IMG_1694[1].JPG
IMG_1694[1].JPG
IMG_1694[1].JPG

Negatory ghostrider. That's a 318 bellhousing. They are not interchangeable with the slant six.

I have had a few requests for that V8 bell.
So some folks are looking for them.
I use them to store transmissions, takes up less space on the floor.

I have a slant OD bell if the OP needs one.

@69dartgt*

Might trade straight up.

I store my manual transmissions on modified small $8 HF furniture dollies.

Only need to add a couple small pieces of 1x stock for anti-tip support.

Second question. Does the 4 speed transmission slant 6 and 3 speed transmission slant 6 use the same bell housing?
I have seen many dual drilled BHs ;
But I can't say what the second pattern is for.
It may be for the A230 full synchro 3-speed

But yours appears to be triple drilled, so IDK
I remember finding one drilled for the T-10 in the very early years.

Second question. Does the 4 speed transmission slant 6 and 3 speed transmission slant 6 use the same bell housing?

No sir. They have two different patterns of bellhousings.

I have seen many dual drilled BHs ;
But I can't say what the second pattern is for.
It may be for the A230 full synchro 3-speed

But yours appears to be triple drilled, so IDK
I remember finding one drilled for the T-10 in the very early years.

The only ones I know of that have the dual bolt pattern are the OD bellhousings for the slant six. As far as I know, none of the rest of the slant six bellhousings have the dual pattern.

The only ones I know of that have the dual bolt pattern are the OD bellhousings for the slant six. As far as I know, none of the rest of the slant six bellhousings have the dual pattern.
Oh I missed the slanty part; Early340s had the dual pattern for sure; got a couple of those.

Oh I missed the slanty part; Early340s had the dual pattern for sure; got a couple of those.

Some of the big blocks did, too. I am searching for one now. 69 and up 10.5" big block bellhousing with the dual bolt pattern.

Okay I did some checking and learned something today. I have a 3-spd from a 71 Dart /6 car. I check it with a few bellhousings. /6 OD, V8 OD, SB 4-spd 482 and a 70-74 BB alum. bell and the 3spd mounting holes fit all of them. Only the 482 housing fit the hub. The other bells the hub hole is bigger but they all had the mounting bolts pattern. Here is the 482 bell and the four center holes are for the 3-spd.

20201219_121529.jpg

Okay I did some checking and learned something today. I have a 3-spd from a 71 Dart /6 car. I check it with a few bellhousings. /6 OD, V8 OD, SB 4-spd 482 and a 70-74 BB alum. bell and the 3spd mounting holes fit all of them. Only the 482 housing fit the hub. The other bells the hub hole is bigger but they all had the mounting bolts pattern. Here is the 482 bell and the four center holes are for the 3-spd.

View attachment 1715652930

Do you have a big block bellhousing with the dual bolt pattern?

-
Back