A body overdrive transmission

-

tvt59

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to put a A500 or A518 into an A body with a small block?

You gotta cut the crossmember out of the way for either one, and shorten the driveshaft. The 518 is a bit larger and longer. The USCarTool rear transmission support is supposed to be strong enough to take the place of the cut upper hoop, but I bent two pieces of 1/8" flat steel into half circles, one inside the other, plug and edge welded them together, clearanced the floor a little, and re-joined the crossmember together.
Driveshaft angles will change some- a little more with the 518 because of being longer, but enough to change the pinion angle will be dependent on where it was in the first place. I was moving perches anyway, so I used the Tremec app and got it where I wanted it.
Throttle pressure/kickdown mechanism still needs to be used unless going to a full manual valve body. You need a longer speedo cable (I still haven't gotten that to work, I think I need to "message" the floor/tunnel because of interference.
42RH / A-500 in a Duster with pictures.

IMO, a better alternative is a GM 200-4R.
There are a bunch of threads about this swap. Check 'em out.

IMO, a better alternative is a GM 200-4R.
There are a bunch of threads about this swap. Check 'em out.
I think I read about that and with the GM 200-4R there is very little floor rework on an abody. Plus if the engine is 0 balance, converters are way cheaper. Just don’t tell anyone. Lol!
Syleng1

-
Back