a body pistol grip

-

74scampga

Reaction score
Hi, ive got a 67 barracuda and bought a 4 speed for it. I read somewhere that you could use a 71 b body non console pistol grip with it. Im new to 4 speeds and i still gotta get my shifter mechanism, rods, adapter plate. What mechanism do i need? every one i see that would be for my car says not for pistol grips.... what kinda adapter plate and rods do i need? would having a pistol grip change the kind of rods i need. Is there only one kind of adapter for a body shifters? Btw, trans is not an OD unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

A Hurst Competition Plus shifter and installation kit will have everything you need. The '71-'74 pistol grip will work with it quite well. Have that setup in a '66 Valiant 4 door and love it. Just make sure the installation kit is for an A body. You may have to go directly to Hurst to get what you want but it is available. To use the pistol grip handle you need a shifter that uses a bolt on handle instead of the push in bayonet style handle. Hope this helps.

I took a pistol grip out of a 71 R.R. and put it in my 68 fish. I thought the R.R. had a bench seat. It is the very short pistol grip. It's been 19 yrs since I took it from the R.R. but I thought I used all the linkage from it as well. I love the shifter, the only thing is you have to lean alittle forward when you hold it, especially in 1st and third. But it only gets you ready to slam the next gear!!!!!

I just unbolted my factory Hurst shifter and bolted in my pistol-grip!Works great!Thanks again Grinder!This is in my 73 Dart Sport 340,4 speed.

car 005.jpg

car 003.jpg

I'm using something similar, if not exactly, what your looking to do.

SANY0001-vi.jpg

SANY0036-vi.jpg

Thanks go out to board member GTGRINLY for hooking me up with this shifter!

Thanks for the replies. I did see your post mullinax. Ive just never messed with any 4 speeds and wasnt to sure on what to do. I thought i remembered reading in one of your posts that you had a non-abody trans in your car, wasnt sure how that would effect putting a pistol grip in mine if i used the same shifter. thanks alot

Thanks for the replies. I did see your post mullinax. Ive just never messed with any 4 speeds and wasnt to sure on what to do. I thought i remembered reading in one of your posts that you had a non-abody trans in your car, wasnt sure how that would effect putting a pistol grip in mine if i used the same shifter. thanks alot

No it's stock mopar 833 4-speed.

I wonder if this is the one Grumpuscreature is talking about

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUU-3914076/Application/?prefilter=1

or this is the one on the hurst site
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUU-3917535/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUU-3917535/
Mine looks just like this one

oh, well alright. i think ive got it covered on what im going to order now. Thanks for all the helpful info and replies.

My transmission was finally delivered today and another question has risen. Its supposidly a non-od a body 4 speed and it came with two of the shift rod levers. The one on the engine side is pointing up but it has O/D stamped on it. Would this mean my trans is an overdrive? or just have a wrong lever... I havent had a chance to check the bearing retainer yet.

-
Back