a body rack and pinion

-
When I originally planned the Scamp I was just going to back half it and then use a rack and coil overs up front. Well that started me thinking why not just put a strut front end under it and the full chassis build started.

So this swap really intrigues me. The ackerman angle thing is a bit scary though. I'd hate to put the rod all together and have it change lanes on me. Has anyone done a conversion where they did the angle thing corrrectly? Oh and excuse me if someone in this thread anlready posted something. I obviously missed it!

here ya go

You must have also reinforced the shock mount plate? After all the entire weight of the nose is now on them.

Might I ask what parts (rack coilovers etc) you used and from which vehicles?

So this swap really intrigues me. The ackerman angle thing is a bit scary though. I'd hate to put the rod all together and have it change lanes on me. Has anyone done a conversion where they did the angle thing corrrectly? Oh and excuse me if someone in this thread anlready posted something. I obviously missed it!

x2!!

Hey Bob how do the upper mounts attach to the upper shock mount? are they similar to a stock shock mount? is there enough clearance between the spring and frame? and what spring rate you using? and finally you got part numbers on the coilovers? i may do this on my dart thats why i ask so many Qs. thnx.

they mount in the stock location with an adaptor i purchased from bill reilly motorsports along the the shock and spring. the spring is 500lbs but your hotrod would take a smaller one due to all the extra junk in the nose of my hotrod. the fuel tank is under the black pad and holds 9 gals of alcohol.

new Pictures 009.jpg

You must have also reinforced the shock mount plate? After all the entire weight of the nose is now on them.

Might I ask what parts (rack coilovers etc) you used and from which vehicles?

no as i still have the stock inner fenders. the rack is a 72 pinto, the coil overs are hal. here's the coil-over adaptor, fits in like a stock shock.

older Pictures 309.jpg

I think I'd still want the front brakes.

my 66 baracuda bracket hotrod didn't have any front brakes and i liked it that way. when you had to hit the brakes on the big end you didn't have to worry about if the car would remain straight or not, always went straight as an arrow. another plus is it removed a ton of unsprung weight off the front. burn outs were easy to, just put her in 2nd gear, step on the go pedal rip into 3rd gear, keep the rpms at 5000 and wait to feel the motor start to lug, let off the pedal and go straight to the starting line and get ready to rumble. oh, and you didn't have to buy a lineloc and plumb and wire it. race it for 10 years until the big "D".

Ackerman has nothing to do with the car all of a sudden changing lanes. That is bump steer.

Ackerman simply explained is the inside tire of the turn will turn sharper than the outside tire. At highway speeds when turning slighty to change lanes will effect nothing. When making turns at slow speeds around corners it when the problem occurs. If the outer tire turns shrper than the inner tire you will have problems with the car plowing into the corner.

Bumpsteer is the one that is very scary...:sad5:

my 66 baracuda bracket hotrod didn't have any front brakes and i liked it that way. when you had to hit the brakes on the big end you didn't have to worry about if the car would remain straight or not, always went straight as an arrow. another plus is it removed a ton of unsprung weight off the front. burn outs were easy to, just put her in 2nd gear, step on the go pedal rip into 3rd gear, keep the rpms at 5000 and wait to feel the motor start to lug, let off the pedal and go straight to the starting line and get ready to rumble. oh, and you didn't have to buy a lineloc and plumb and wire it. race it for 10 years until the big "D".

I drive an altered that has no front brakes and that's legal. They allow you to burn out across the starting line. It's not legal for a door car, the rules stipulate must have 4 wheel brakes and door cars are not allowed to burn out across the starting line.

I see your car has front brakes but I'd rather have some discs up front as well.

I drive an altered that has no front brakes and that's legal. They allow you to burn out across the starting line. It's not legal for a door car, the rules stipulate must have 4 wheel brakes and door cars are not allowed to burn out across the starting line.

I see your car has front brakes but I'd rather have some discs up front as well.

Sooner or later I'll put discs up front, but when you are racing on an 1/8 mile drag strip covered with ice the back tires do all the stopping since the front tires aren't studded like the rear.
:toothy10:

the hotrod in the pics is my heads-up 71 demon not the 66 bracket car. the bracket hotrod is long gone and a long story on how that happened. the demon needs front brakes on it just to keep the thing stopped. back when i raced the 66 the rules stated only needing 2 wheel brakes.

hay bob i need to bring the duster up there ..haha :cheers: man thats bad ***...

-
Back