A body radiators

-

V8 Sam

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question.

My 70 dart radiator is kaput

Are all dart/abody radiators the same across the range? Or do they differ much?

Small block V8

A body specific? They differ.

I have used on my A bodies, as well as anything else i've put together, Be Cool. In the case of A-bodies I used the 1,000hp model. There is a great write-up in HR magazine where they installed one of these.

Hey guys quick question.

My 70 dart radiator is kaput

Are all dart/abody radiators the same across the range? Or do they differ much?

Small block V8

69 and earlier have the lower outlet on the opposite side as 70 and later... That's when they change over from the cast iron water pump to the aluminum one...

Later ones can be 26" wide, the most common across all A's is 22". As stated LA water pump changed in 70 so Radiator, Pump, Pullies and hoses all have to match 69 down or 70 up.

sayhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275085226010?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=wPxNPrnGTIy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=DU9zKP2GTnu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=WHATS_APP

Think this is where I'm at then, best bang for buck I can't find so far.

Thanks guys

I've asked for a international quote from champion. See what they say, as they can often price me out

Thanks again

Last edited:
Some things to keep in mind.

Is the new radiator the same thickness as the OEM rad.

If it is thicker will it fit ( shroud, fan etc)

Are the mounts in the same location, not pushing the core forward or backwards up or down.

Are the inlet and outlet on the correct side.

Are the inlet and outlet the correct diameter, bigblock radiators have larger dia.

Is the radiator sized correctly, fins per inch, tub I'd, tube spacing.

Be careful with aftermarket aluminum radiators, especially the cheaper ones like Champion and the like. They're sometimes ill fitting and there have been cases where they just did not do the job. I have one that was in my 64 Valiant and it was one ill fitting sumbitch. It cooled great, but the factory A body radiator I have in it now fits so much better. So watch what you buy.

I use ECP radiators ECP | No Gimmick Cooling

They have detailed drawings and specs on their site of all the dimensions, fittings, etc. I also like them because they use the newer super-wide 2-row design as opposed to the traditional 3-row which is less efficient. Prices are pretty good as well. I have one in my '70 Duster and another in my '72 D200 pickup, they both fit great I don't remember having to modify them very much at all. Even the stock shroud bolted right up. My truck has a mostly-stock 360 with 4-bbl and headers and just to see what would happen I floored it for 30 seconds straight pulling my Duster on a U-haul trailer (~5000 lbs) up Monument Hill on I-25 and my AutoMeter temp gauge barely moved, didn't even get to 210 degrees (has 195 degree t-stat).

Be careful with aftermarket aluminum radiators, especially the cheaper ones like Champion and the like. They're sometimes ill fitting and there have been cases where they just did not do the job. I have one that was in my 64 Valiant and it was one ill fitting sumbitch. It cooled great, but the factory A body radiator I have in it now fits so much better. So watch what you buy.
Did you have the 2-core or 3-core radiator from champion?

From the factory for 70 Darts with a small block - the AC cars and the 340 cars came with a 3 core radiator (three layers of flat 'tubes' from the engine to the grille) . 318 cars with no AC came with a 2 core radiator (significantly less cooling capacity) unless you ordered a high capacity cooling system (for example you planned to tow a trailer or a boat, or you lived in a place with steep roads) and then you got the three core. You should be able to look into the filler neck and see what you have.

From the factory for 70 Darts with a small block - the AC cars and the 340 cars came with a 3 core radiator (three layers of flat 'tubes' from the engine to the grille) . 318 cars with no AC came with a 2 core radiator (significantly less cooling capacity) unless you ordered a high capacity cooling system (for example you planned to tow a trailer or a boat, or you lived in a place with steep roads) and then you got the three core. You should be able to look into the filler neck and see what you have.
I had the 3-core from Champion but due to its thickness I was unable to fit an electric fan between it and the engine, trying to figure out if their 2-core has less depth, similar to the factory radiator.

Did you have the 2-core or 3-core radiator from champion?
A three row. I still have it. I replaced it with a good three row factory radiator that cools just as good. I like how the factory radiator fits better.

I used the Champion CC63DT in my 64 Valiant 170 slant six. It fit perfect. Can't comment on the cooling, yet. Nothing more than about 20 mile trips at this time. However only a 170 with very mild mods except it is 9.5 CR. So I don't foresee problems.

I went with a Spectra radiator from SummitRacing back in 2019:

Spectra.jpg

I have a Radiator that Tony Fields bought for his Barracuda 67 model, its setting in place in my 66, I need to put my hood on and make sure it fits on top ok. I can't bring myself to burn the box he sent it in, I like the top tank on it, looks like a factory one, but no numbers on it I believe. Will get a picture later.

20230207_160204.jpg

I have a 1971 Dodge Demon 340 It is all was over heating at a stop. 22 " rad 3 row new new water pump new thermostat and new cluch on fan? and fan shrould not a AC car

100_1151 (2).jpg

100_3127.JPG

-
Back