A body RB conversion

-

NoahSewal

Reaction score
I was just wondering what would be the total list of everything needed for a big block 440 swap in a 74 dart 318. Factory k member.
im not talking about drivetrain, just what all i need to get the engine and trans in and running
i know you'll need:
Modifications on k member with mounts. Passenger oil pan. BB radiator.

Is there any possibility i could run with factory power steering. Can i run PB? if not how do i do that conversion. And what electrical will have to be changed for factory BB distributor. Am i missing anything?

I was just wondering what would be the total list of everything needed for a big block 440 swap in a 74 dart 318. Factory k member.
im not talking about drivetrain, just what all i need to get the engine and trans in and running
i know you'll need:
Modifications on k member with mounts. Passenger oil pan. BB radiator.

Is there any possibility i could run with factory power steering. Can i run PB? if not how do i do that conversion. And what electrical will have to be changed for factory BB distributor. Am i missing anything?

Mod K-member. Good news is you have spool mounts (much better)
Mounts
Oil Pan (best is milodon road race pan)
I don't think anything changes with the dizzy, but I don't run a stock one
Power steering is an IDK. I've gone manual each time.
You will need specific manifolds or headers. (TTI is your best bet)
Unsure if you need a radiator (I have 3x over used Be cool)

Mod K-member. Good news is you have spool mounts (much better)
Mounts
Oil Pan (best is milodon road race pan)
I don't think anything changes with the dizzy, but I don't run a stock one
Power steering is an IDK. I've gone manual each time.
You will need specific manifolds or headers. (TTI is your best bet)
Unsure if you need a radiator (I have 3x over used Be cool)
what about power brakes. ever gone manual? and is the swap to manual steering as easy as just swapping in a manual steering box? what electrical changes did you have to make?

OK I have my power steering still. You have to go with a small 9" brake booster, kits are available. Remember the heater fan will have to be modified, tons of options in the how to thread. If you can find a Schumacher kit go for it works great. Oil pan a few options factory or aftermarket. Mine was a slant car. Oh do your self a favor drill holes in the passenger fender well so you can get to the 2 and 4 plugs. Valve covers can be a issue depending on the brake booster and fan mod you do. Wiring is basically needs to be extended no big deal. I went with a aluminum radiator and electric fan so it fit. I have the Scumacher tri Y headers and they are designed for power steering. Also torsion bars. I have the PST 1.03 and love them.

Last edited:
Build a Direct Connection K-member out of yours and use '74-78 passenger car mounts (can be found on ebay or at swap meets). Power steering is not an issue if you run exhaust manifolds (I run B-body HP). No idea about power brakes as I don't believe an A-body needs them. Power brakes MIGHT fit better (small booster) due to the offset (up) brackets. I had to shim my master cylinder on this car. I will probably end up using the offset bracket to move it toward the fender.

Motor mounts - $25-200
K-member mods (if you can weld) - cutoff wheels and weld wire
B-body manifolds $400-ish
Radiator - $250-500
Exhaust - $200-500

A lot of the cost of the job is dependent on what you already have or what you can fab. Most of the parts we used for all of our big block conversion were found cheap or a long time ago.
20210417_142114.jpg
20210417_142121.jpg

what about power brakes. ever gone manual? and is the swap to manual steering as easy as just swapping in a manual steering box? what electrical changes did you have to make?

I've only run manual.

While it isn't necessary, do yourself a favor and get an offset master cylinder block, especially if you plan to run a mechanical cam.

I've never run power steering so I can't say if it works. You need to change the box and add a PS pump. Personally I don't see the need for PS.

No electrical changes to swap in a big bock, but on my car I went to a one wire alt (which eliminates the voltage reg) I also added an MSD (which eliminates the ballast resistor and a bunch of other wiring) I added an electric fuel pump and electric fans.

Electric fans will make your life much easier.

To tell you the truth If I would do it again I would go small block. Way easier and you can get some serious power out of them.

I on the other hand favor the big block, ESPECIALLY for a street car.

Dont get me wrong I love mine. Just a small block is a lot of bang for the buck. Mine is a sleeper.
Popmobile 5.jpg
pop130.jpg

I'm going manual brakes with a b engine, booster will get in the way of the tall valve covers.

440 source abody oil pan , shumacher mounts /headers. I did the ujoint conversion on my steering shaft and went to manual steering but I could've kept power.

I've only run manual.

While it isn't necessary, do yourself a favor and get an offset master cylinder block, especially if you plan to run a mechanical cam.

I've never run power steering so I can't say if it works. You need to change the box and add a PS pump. Personally I don't see the need for PS.

No electrical changes to swap in a big bock, but on my car I went to a one wire alt (which eliminates the voltage reg) I also added an MSD (which eliminates the ballast resistor and a bunch of other wiring) I added an electric fuel pump and electric fans.

Electric fans will make your life much easier.
How do i go about the swap to manual brakes. Besides the new master cylinder and removing the brake booster. what will need to be changed?

How do i go about the swap to manual brakes. Besides the new master cylinder and removing the brake booster. what will need to be changed?

Unless you need an adjustable prop valve, nothing.

You will likely want to change the brake lines from the master to the prop valve. They are much shorter than the power brake ones. You will also need a manual brake pushrod. Adjustable pushrods are available.

-
Back