A Body Road Trip Car

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I ponder building an A body for long trips (and daily use).

It would be a 2 door, 318 (gotta be a V8). I wouldn't mind a 273, if parts are still available. It would only be modified to increase mpg. It would be either a 4 spd w/ OD, or an auto w/OD. I'd prefer a stick shift, I guess it would get better mileage than an auto O/D. (Stick shifts are theft deterrents these days!)

Other mandatory items: A/C (I guess aftermarket would be better as far a when repair is needed?), Cruise control. (Are there aftermarket versions?) A factory radio or low end aftermarket radio, is all we would need. My wife and I get music from our phones and bluetooth it to a portable speaker. Good enough for us, and a cheap radio is less likely to be stolen.

Power steering not wanted. It would take from the mpg, and also be something else to maintain. Power brakes, not wanted. More repairs needed. Also, without PS and PB, the under hood would be less cluttered and easier to get to items that need repair. My wife drives a stick, and would be okay with no P/S on the highway.

I like the safety of newer cars, but I hate the idea of repairing one. We have had an '07 Accord since '09, and it's been great. Part of our retirement is traveling. I'd like to be that gray haired guy in the old car.

Anyone else done this or thought about it? What would you do, or have you done?

Last edited:
I'd probably up the torsion bar diameter, beef up the leaf springs, and maybe add bigger sway bars. It all depends on what the car I use has on it. Might need to upgrade the brakes, too.

I could see some Dyna Mat type stuff, too. I've never used that.

It wouldn't be the first project that spiraled "a bit". :rolleyes:

318 magnum,trigger the factory fuel injection with a mega squirt, and whatever 5 speed you can fit/afford. Drive it like a grandma and get 20+ mpg average easy.

318 magnum,trigger the factory fuel injection with a mega squirt, and whatever 5 speed you can fit/afford. Drive it like a grandma and get 20+ mpg average easy.
Thanks, you made me remember that I would go carb and electronic ignition or points. I edited the original post.

i'd go with a 360 over a 318/273 if i was starting from scratch for the potential to build for gobs of torque in the low to midrange and the reason that it is just so much easier to do with the bigger motor.

i was gonna say that a magnum motor would be ideal here, but the choices on cams that are reasonable is pretty scant and the intakes are basically performer RPM air gap or single plane hi rise, which you absolutely don't want. but the RPM could be okay, i guess.

my choice would be an automatic OD over a stick because in the event of a breakdown you're much more likely to find parts or somebody able to repair it over a stick.

if you nabbed a 360 2bbl intake you could run that. but i'd go with a 4V dual plane like a performer or weiand, keeping the ports small to match the small port/valve 360 heads.

top it with a small vacuum 2ndary holley, and round it out with factory EI and some headers.

rear end gear and tire height are going to be critical choices that need to be taken in consideration with what your operational cruise RPM is going to be in conjunction with your tune. you may need an additional timing control to get enough timing at cruise to be efficient.

brakes and suspension wise i'd go stock 73~76 10.8 discs with sliding calipers, 10 X 2.5 drums out back and the 15/16 2 bolt master off of a mid 90's dakota. that way if you ahve any sort of problem you can walk into literally any autoparts store and they'll likely have repair parts on the shelf. t-bars i'd probably say 890's would be the best all around choice with some monroes or gabriels. i'd run a stock front sway bar, and forgo a rear bar. factory stock HD rear springs. up front rubber LCA bushings, offset uppers, and poly strut rod bushings. probably upgrade to the larger 11/16 tie rod sleeves.

wheel are a consideration here because of sizing availability. 15's or 17's would be your best bet to have the widest choices.

i'm sure i'm forgetting a bunch of stuff here, but that's where i'd start. i build most of my cars and a lot for clients to be road trip machines, so there's always something that you wish you'd done and you wind up doing on the next one.

I'd go B body. Cruise, you bet. Just a clutch pedal switch, which are made for that purpose. My Ram Cummins has cruise, 5 speed. So did the old 86 and 87 Rangers I owned

It would be a 2 door, 318 (gotta be a V8). I wouldn't mind a 273, if parts are still available. It would only be modified to increase mpg. It would be either a 4 spd w/ OD, or an auto w/OD. I'd prefer a stick shift, I guess it would get better mileage than an auto O/D. (Stick shifts are theft deterrents these days!)

Other mandatory items: A/C (I guess aftermarket would be better as far a when repair is needed?), Cruise control. (Are there aftermarket versions?) A factory radio or low end aftermarket radio, is all we would need. My wife and I get music from our phones and bluetooth it to a portable speaker. Good enough for us, and a cheap radio is less likely to be stolen.

Power steering not wanted. It would take from the mpg, and also be something else to maintain. Power brakes, not wanted. More repairs needed. Also, without PS and PB, the under hood would be less cluttered and easier to get to items that need repair. My wife drives a stick, and would be okay with no P/S on the highway.

I like the safety of newer cars, but I hate the idea of repairing one. We have had an '07 Accord since '09, and it's been great. Part of our retirement is traveling. I'd like to be that gray haired guy in the old car.

What you are contemplating is what I always built for myself. 1966 Formula S Barracuda. 273 for sure, 2 barrel pistons about 9:1 flat tops, small solid cam like an Isky E-4 or Racer Brown custom (.425 to .450 lift and around 206-216 [email protected]), 340 TQ and intake to match (Holley Street Dominator, Offy, Weiand) Chrysler electronic Ignition w 340 distributor, stock manifolds Jet Hot coated inside and out, Single Commando/Charger 2.50 straight thru exhaust. Trans is an A-833 O/D, original Hurst shifter, rear gears to give around 2.76 final ratio, at least H rated "touring" tires. This should get you to 25 mpg cruising on the highway. Front Disc brakes with racing pads, drums in the rear. 3 row radiator, Formula S, 340, or HD suspension, rubber bushings, 24:1 manual steering since your wife will be driving. Aftermarket AC (I grew up in FL so mine does not have AC), original radio modified for bluetooth (mine is USB). I do not have cruise control, but would consider it, if it was not a cluge. Absolutely love it, and can cruise all day at high speed.

Quick question- are you intending to tow anything with it? A small camper (teardrops are cool) or "supply trailer"?
And as far as a 2 door goes, I'd seriously consider trying to find an early A wagon for a road tripper. The "cool factor" is definitely still there.
273 built with the later timing cover and aluminum water pump (easy to get if you're on the road, not a 2 day wait to get an iron one shipped in), 302 heads, 360 2bbl. cam and intake manifold. OD 833 for a stick, or a 32RH (A999) for an automatic (it has a lockup convertor, but not OD; so you don't have to butcher your floorpan or trans tunnel to make it fit). The OD 833 and 32RH both have pretty deep first gears, so you can run a set of 2.xx gears in the rear and some tall rear tires without it being a total dog from a stop. Cruise control off of an F/M/J body (easier to find). For AC hunt down some later factory AC brackets (and all the underhood stuff, for that matter) from a Dippy or a truck that has the factory rotary compressor- less engine drag than the early units, and easily adaptable to a Sanden if you so desire. Then just hang an aftermarket knee-knocker evaporator and controls under the dash.
Make sure your parking brakes work and work well, and use them religiously (especially if you have a stick)- it may be the only thing that keeps it from getting dragged up onto a rollback when you're not looking. And put an Airtag or something similar in it.

Well, since you asked what we would do or incorporate, I personally would do exactly what @BadAss71 did with this Dart.
What have I got myself in to? Denver here we come!!
Buy a 2wd 2nd gen Ram donor, swap the 5.9 (or 5.2) magnum, O/D automatic transmission, efi, hvac box and controls all over into an a-body. Also, I might consider using a nice clean 4 door valiant as my starting point, giving better/easier access to the back seat. I’d run 17x8 wheels with 245/45/17 tires all around, factory style 73+ front suspension, ford explorer 8.8 rearend and I would personally ad a stereo system. By using all the factory ram parts, 8.8 and 245/45/17’s you’re almost guaranteed to be able to get any mechanical replacement parts you’d need at a parts store.

Option #2 would be to use an srt-4 engine and accessories, a-500 transmission and the 8.8 rearend. Again, parts could be gotten anywhere and the 2.4 would offer better mpg.

Bone stock 5.2 Magnum with a thermoquad and a 4 speed OD with 3.23 gears. Done.

Bone stock 5.2 Magnum with a thermoquad and a 4 speed OD with 3.23 gears. Done.
what happens when you're broke down on a dirt road at the *** end of hard luck because that TQ needs some gaskets?

dollars to donuts joe jimmy bobs local parts emporium has 1850 gaskets.

what happens when you're broke down on a dirt road at the *** end of hard luck because that TQ needs some gaskets?

You do like ballast resistors and distributors. Take spares. Are you sure you're a real Mopar guy? LOL

You do like ballast resistors and distributors. Take spares. Are you sure you're a real Mopar guy? LOL
my "swapmeet sunburn" and grease under my nails should prove my credentials!

i was just playing devils advocate. when i long haul there's always a spare carb so i can wholesale swap it and get back to eating up some blacktop. the motel room is for rebuild carbs with a cold beer!

my "swapmeet sunburn" and grease under my nails should prove my credentials!

i was just playing devils advocate. when i long haul there's always a spare carb so i can wholesale swap it and get back to eating up some blacktop. the motel room is for rebuild carbs with a cold beer!
Chit. I ain't goin that far. In fact, all I really carry is a spare ballast. LOL

LOL! If you want to work on your car broke down on the side of the road, just buy a Chevy or run a Holley. I can't tell you how many miles my brother and I put on the Barracudas. Never had to fix either on the side of the road, they were made to run.

Well, since you asked what we would do or incorporate, I personally would do exactly what @BadAss71 did with this Dart.
What have I got myself in to? Denver here we come!!
Buy a 2wd 2nd gen Ram donor, swap the 5.9 (or 5.2) magnum, O/D automatic transmission, efi, hvac box and controls all over into an a-body. Also, I might consider using a nice clean 4 door valiant as my starting point, giving better/easier access to the back seat. I’d run 17x8 wheels with 245/45/17 tires all around, factory style 73+ front suspension, ford explorer 8.8 rearend and I would personally ad a stereo system. By using all the factory ram parts, 8.8 and 245/45/17’s you’re almost guaranteed to be able to get any mechanical replacement parts you’d need at a parts store.

Option #2 would be to use an srt-4 engine and accessories, a-500 transmission and the 8.8 rearend. Again, parts could be gotten anywhere and the 2.4 would offer better mpg.
Beautiful build, thank you for linking it. However, over my head, and too much late model electronics for me. I might as well get a new car! I'm going old school, IF I do it.

So many great ideas! That's exactly why I posed the question. It's just a thought at this point, but you have all given me lots to think about.

Thanks!

This is my future cruiser. I pretty much have all the mechanical addressed. Brakes and suspension is fresh. I have a fresh 273 waiting in the wings. On the hunt now for a 518. I’ll be picking up a 8.75 in June.

As far as AC, thats last. Might just forgo it. The rest of the car, interior and exterior will stay.

F4B09C36-5DC3-4DA0-8F9A-FB7F895DE87A.jpeg

This is my future cruiser. I pretty much have all the mechanical addressed. Brakes and suspension is fresh. I have a fresh 273 waiting in the wings. On the hunt now for a 518. I’ll be picking up a 8.75 in June.

As far as AC, thats last. Might just forgo it. The rest of the car, interior and exterior will stay.

View attachment 1716079033
I like your ideas, and your car!
I could do w/o air, but if I'm selling this to my wife, it's gotta have air!

-
Back