a body side molding...

-

craigibc

wishin' my Demon was done
Reaction score
Hey,

Looking for a source for side molding for our demon project.

I know back in the day this stuff was pretty common but in these day I am unsure of where to purchase a piece that looks like the original.

The car originally had a stripe like the dart in the photo.

Any advice?

Craig

4521504-1972-dart.jpg

I have a set of the side moldings that came off of a '71 Dart.
The only other ones I have seen on the Demons are the thinner side moldings that stick on...

I believe I still have the trim we took off our 70 Dart. The passenger fender trim is a close match but not the original. If I still have them there yours just pay shipping. Let me know and I'll look when I get to the house.

I should get a set too for mine if there ends up being extra.

The stripe shown in the photo is a vinyl stick on. It comes apart eventually, adhesive sheers. I had trouble putting it on a car in 1974. Ended up having to put it on with epoxy to keep from falling off. Have this stuff on my 73 Dart 4-dr. Don't like it.

The Demon originally had little pins welded to the side that solid aluminum trim slid into. The replacement front fenders didn't have it and I wanted a tape stripe anyway.

However, if you must. Try this site. They look like they may have what you are looking for.

http://www.customautotrim.com/products/moldings/body_by_type.htm

I may be incorrect, but I believe in 72 the side molding was still held on with the pins. My 71 parts car has the set (although the left fender strip is in my stash somewhere) A 72 Swinger I owned had the pin type as well.

Grant

I just got the trim from hemiduster in the mail yesterday. It is the pin type as well.

My kid wants to put this on the car because it will be different than just using the traditional demon side stripe. I need to find one piece for the front fender and I will have a complete set.

I are going to try to use some type of adhesive to mount this rather than drilling holes.

Will let you know how it turns out!

Thanks hemiduster for working out the side molding.

Craig

I am pretty sure I have a set minus one of the fenders. Not sure if ds and ps are same. Will let you know, and if you want you can have

Grant

Not sure if you needed a piece or not from PM, if you do let me know which and can send. Trim is same as pictured, and although I am missing ds fender and door, they appear same for both sides

Grant

Here is what I have seen through the years on 2 Door A bodies;
1969 and back - Studs.
1970 & 1971 -Holes drilled in sides with little plastic Clip/Stud Retainers (I found a box of 100 of these things!), a Bolt on front of Nose/Fender Extension, Door, and Quarters.
1972 Same on FACTORY Side Moulding (pre December 1971) - Stick on crap was Dealer add on (or January 1972 and later - My '72 Swinger built 4-72 had the later).
1973 and up - ALL crappy Stick on.

OH Yeah: Never seen a Demon with FACTORY Side Mouldings! Just Dealer stick on crap.

Hope this helps!

Later,
Bruce B.

Hey,

Looking for a source for side molding for our demon project.

I know back in the day this stuff was pretty common but in these day I am unsure of where to purchase a piece that looks like the original.

The car originally had a stripe like the dart in the photo.

Any advice?

Craig

Man...looking at that picture reminds me of a simpler time. Ahhhhh...the good ole days. ;)

-
Back