A/C brackets what works with what years/vehicles

-

Bronze Barracuda

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need a little information on A/C brackets, for small block Mopars.
What years work with what vehicles etc. I am looking for Small block AC Brackets that would work on my 81 Ramcharger. (I know it a bodies forum but I'm thinking Chrysler used the same brackets for all small blocks I'm just not sure what the changeover years would be and if I buy older style brackets would they work so long as I buy an older style AC compressor. Also what about magnum motors? They are a lot more prevalent in my area. Just grab the pulley system off a magnum truck and get proper compressor?
My RC has all the original AC lines and controls. A previous owner swapped the motor and must have thrown away the brackets. Thanks I think this is more of a small block question than a vehicle specific question. I've asked on a RC forum but have had zero response. Guess they're not all that popular.
Thanks for any help.
Cheers to everyone.

Hi everyone, I need a little information on A/C brackets, for small block Mopars.
What years work with what vehicles etc. I am looking for Small block AC Brackets that would work on my 81 Ramcharger. (I know it a bodies forum but I'm thinking Chrysler used the same brackets for all small blocks I'm just not sure what the changeover years would be and if I buy older style brackets would they work so long as I buy an older style AC compressor. Also what about magnum motors? They are a lot more prevalent in my area. Just grab the pulley system off a magnum truck and get proper compressor?
My RC has all the original AC lines and controls. A previous owner swapped the motor and must have thrown away the brackets. Thanks I think this is more of a small block question than a vehicle specific question. I've asked on a RC forum but have had zero response. Guess they're not all that popular.
Thanks for any help.
Cheers to everyone.
Got anything like this attached to the front of the engine and alternator? My compressor is mounted using the two holes at the top with a few other brackets.

IMG_3344.jpeg

This can be a real nightmare mixing and matching parts. The are many variations. I would find the parts specific to your vehicle.

Does the car have the same type motor that was originally in it? That will also be a complication.

No I have the a/c on my car from a parts car I bought some years ago. That bracket in pic is leftover from the old system. I have a different intake that doesn’t match up with one of the supports, but it doesn’t seem to matter on the operation.

By 81 the old v2 compressor was history, they had moved onto the round aluminum compressor. There were lots of v8 mopars built in the 80s with ac, you shouldn't have much problems finding what you need.
I just went thru this on something slightly harder to find... Same application except my 80s truck is a /6.

Lines, condenser etc are wasy to get, the brackets for the compressor to mount to my /6 was the hardest part. Along the way I passed up lots of v8 compatible compressor bracketry in my search.

This can be a real nightmare mixing and matching parts. The are many variations. I would find the parts specific to your vehicle.

Does the car have the same type motor that was originally in it? That will also be a complication.
Yes. We'll sort of. It currently has a 318 it originally came with a 360. I have a roller 360 block I'll be putting in it.

No I have the a/c on my car from a parts car I bought some years ago. That bracket in pic is leftover from the old system. I have a different intake that doesn’t match up with one of the supports, but it doesn’t seem to matter on the operation.
Well I'll be looking to buy some brackets once I figure out what I'm looking for.

Lines, condenser etc are wasy to get, the brackets for the compressor to mount to my /6 was the hardest part. Along the way I passed up lots of v8 compatible compressor bracketry in my search.
That is not as easy up here in this frozen he!! of a wasteland Canada. Not many vehicles càme equipped with AC back then. Most so nowadays though.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers to everyone.
Can you show a picture of which style compressor you will be using? My Ramcharger is an 89 model year, I think. I will have to double check that. I will try to add some pictures of mine. This one is being replaced by a Magnum engine, serpentine system, and compressor so it is all apart right now but I took pictures while disassembling it.

IMG_4524.jpeg

IMG_4534.jpeg

Last edited:
Can you show a picture of which style compressor you will be using? My Ramcharger is an 89 model year, I think. I will have to double check that. I will try to add some pictures of mine. This one is being replaced by a Magnum engine, serpentine system, and compressor so it is all apart right now but I took pictures while disassembling it.

View attachment 1716180541

View attachment 1716180542
Yep mine has nothing at all remaining for brackets. Here are some pictures. But I'd assume an 89 would work. RockAuto has the same part number for the compressor from 81-93. I could use all the pulleys and brackets off of that.

PXL_20231220_013706326.LONG_EXPOSURE-02.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20231220_013648624.LONG_EXPOSURE-01.COVER.jpg

PXL_20231220_013629836.LONG_EXPOSURE-02.ORIGINAL.jpg

Seems that where you are starting from, I would get one of the kits to install a modern Sanden compressor. There are kits that come with compressor and all the brackets and the adapters to hook factory hoses to it.

Seems that where you are starting from, I would get one of the kits to install a modern Sanden compressor. There are kits that come with compressor and all the brackets and the adapters to hook factory hoses to it.
Where would I go to find this stuff. I briefly checked out there website, but it seems it is more setup for suppliers. I googled sanden AC brackets for small block dodge which gave me a bunch of links like summit, eBay, classic industries and other AC companies. Just curious where the best place to find them is.
Thanks I was curious about Sanden I figured it was just a type of Compressor.

yes Sanden is a compressor manufacturer. It's what is used in many new cars. It weighs 1/3 what the old twin piston original weighs and uses 1/2 the horsepower or less. I think that there are a few companies offering a retro fit kit. Try to find one that uses a 2 belt drive, not one, especially if your alternator is on the same belts.

-
Back