A/C Hose Routing?

-

63valiant

Reaction score
I've been planning to put A/C in my '63 Valiant. I have all the hardware, except the hoses), to install an under dash unit. I need to know the best way to run the hoses through the firewall. Does anyone have any pics of A/C hoses under the hood of an early A-Body? I was told there are dimples to mark where the factory holes would have been routed in the 64 and later models, but I looked at a couple of '65s and couldn't find any. If these dimples exist does anyone have pics of them as well?
TIA!

8)

273 out 005.jpg

66 update 001.jpg

Thanks! I had no idea that's where they'd be, I had assumed they'd be to the passenger right. Maybe that's why I couldn't find the dimples. I'll have to check again. I wonder if they used the same heater box in both a/c and non a/c models, I'll have to climb under the dash and see if there's a clear path under there.
Thanks again yellow68runner!

I'm not sure if it's the same as in my 68 Barracuda but the housing comes in two parts. One has the heater core and the other houses the evaporator core.

Okay, it looks the firewall design changed over the years. Where those lines go through is about where my wiper motor is mounted on the other side. So I guess what I'll need are pics from the '63 to '66 models.
Anything will be appreciated.

66 is different then the 65 and earlier. The early cars had the "knee knocker" under dash evaporators. The 66 was the first year for the combination heater/AC unit up behind the dash.
Not sure on the 63, but the 64 had "dimples" below the blower motor and somewhat toward the center of the car. There is also a dimple, lower then the others, for the water drain.
Here is a link to pictures of a add on system. You might be able to see where the lines go to the firewall. I did not use gromets and put the rubber hoses thru, but used bulkhead fittings. This is a 64 Valiant.

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33267

PS: What type compressor, and mount are you planning on using?

Hi Charlie, thanks for the reply! That should do the trick, that 4th picture give me a guide where to look. I do have a '65 parts/project car so if I can find the dimples on that one I can measure the locations for the '63 if it doesn't have them. I'll check tomorrow when there is light.

Yep, it's an under dash unit, but our summers can hit 115 degrees here so I don't mind losing some space for the comfort.

I lucked out, I rounded up all of these parts last year or so except the compressor and mount. I didn't really want to use that monster Chrysler style compressor so I was still in decision mode when I ran across a Duster in the wrecking yard that had been converted to a Sanden, so I grabbed the compressor and brackets off of it.

I saw your setup in a different thread at the slant six forum recently and it looks great! I'd definitely buy that had I not already purchased what I have, but I'll be keeping yours in mind on the next project.

I like what you did with the bulkhead fittings there, that looks far more professional than just routing the hoses through the holes and I'm sure it seals the engine bay better too.

Do you have a supplier for that drier with the low pressure cut off switch? I was thinking about how to plumb in a low pressure switch, but haven't been able to find anything for a 'universal' system.

Thanks again!

-Niles

You may have to go back to the junk yard. You will need the A/c drive pulley on the back side of the crank damper.
Any good A/C supply house should have the drier. You can contact Nostalgic Air Parts.
http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/
Tell them I (Charrlie Schmid) referred you. They are the company that had my mount fabricated for me.
PS: That pressure switch is a dual switch. Low pressure cutout in case you lose charge or outside temp too low, and high pressure cutout, in case the condensor fan fails or the air flow is restricted. I also recommend a "Parrallel flow" condensor (like is shown in the pictures).

PPS: NAP part numbers. Drier 2-0026, switch 4086, wireing pigtail 1030

I went with classicautoair.com from the engine compartment out. I had everythinmg under the dash. It works well on my 67 Dart. Let me know if you are interested and I will send you pics.

Dave

Thanks for the info and referral Charrlie, that helps a lot!

Dave, sure, I'll take any pics I can to help guide me here.

Thanks again for all the help guys! Here's some pics of what I think are the A/C dimples on the '63. If someone can confirm that'd be great and it'd answer the question if '63s had them or not:

63V100ACDimples.jpg

63V100ACDimplesCloseup.jpg

Dang, my engine bay is going to be the envy of everybody. LOL. :toothy7:

I just looked at some cars in my yard.
64 signet, 64 Valiant 100, 65 Valiant 100, 66 Signet, and 66 Cuda, no dimples on any of them. Some have any where from none, to three, to four of the large flattened "spot" that you show just below the seam. I wouldn't be too concerened where you put the holes, as long as they don't interfere with anything else, and you have easy access to the fittings.

Yep, I'll definitely check the flip side for clearance or obstructions.
Curious thing about those dimples, I didn't see them in the other '63 or two other '65s that I have here either. They all did have those four large ones though. I'll check again later. It may not be important, but it is somewhat interesting.

Thanks again for the help Charrlie!

Okay, I checked out those other cars. The other 63 does have the dimples, neither '65s do. FWIW anyways. :-s

-
Back