A couple of questions about my fender tag!

-

SlimPikins

Pikins, Slim Pikins.
Reaction score
I have searched quite a bit without finding the answer to a lot of my questions. I researched my fender tag and most of it makes sense. A few questions I have is:

My motor is listed twice.
Once it says: G4G: 318 150HP(net) or 170HP(net) 1-2BBL 8 CYL
And once: E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
Which horsepower version do I have in a 74 Dart?

Also the tranny says:
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
That is from MyMopar dot com, From StockMopar dot com it says:
D34: TorqueFlite Automatic Transmission
Can I safely assume that it's a 727?

There is no listing for the rearend. I am curious how I go about determining the difference between a 7.25 and 8.25 housing. I took (crappy) pictures of mine I can post if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help the members here can give me!

Slim.

Here is the full results from MyMopar:

LH23:
Dodge Dart,Demon
High
2 Door Hardtop

G4G: 318 150HP(net) or 170HP(net) 1-2BBL 8 CYL
St. Louis, MO, USA

232387: Sequence number

E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
HL4: Parchment Exterior Color
E2Y3: Trim - Unknown, Vinyl Bench Seat, Gold
000: Full Door Panels
418: Build Date: April 18
943060: Order number

VIY: Unknown Top Color
U: USA Specifications
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
G52: Unknown
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
J25: 3 Speed Wipers

L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M25: Wide sill moldings
M26: Wheel Lip Moldings
M38: Decklid Finish Panel Moldings
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)

V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black
Y16: Sales Bank
26: 26in Radiator
END: End of Sales Codes

You may have to get engine # to be sure of the hp on it. As far as the rearend goes, 8 1/4 has more of a rounded cover I believe with 10 bolts coming out the arse end, while the 7 1/4 has I believe 9 holes and on the pass side cover there is a slight slant from 12-3 o'clock. Thats what my manual says for 69 barracuda and i would imagine yours would be the same.

You may have to get engine # to be sure of the hp on it. As far as the rearend goes, 8 1/4 has more of a rounded cover I believe with 10 bolts coming out the arse end, while the 7 1/4 has I believe 9 holes and on the pass side cover there is a slight slant from 12-3 o'clock. Thats what my manual says for 69 barracuda and i would imagine yours would be the same.

My cover is almost completely round with 10 bolts. It has a tag on one of the bolts that says (2.45). It's a peg leg, I got the car started on jack stands on put it in gear and only the drivers side turned. Thanks for the info!!!

Looks like the only 318 offered in 74 was 150hp.

Thanks! I'm not going to use this motor, but I do want to sell it so any info I can have will help me set a price.

You have an 8 1/4 rear, the 2.45 ones are one gear only, hate to say it but if you want to upgrade you will need to change the case.

You have an 8 1/4 rear, the 2.45 ones are one gear only, hate to say it but if you want to upgrade you will need to change the case.

So your saying the whole rear housing is useless? I was under the impression that I could get a sure grip gear set with lower gears for the 8 1/4.

Yes, 2.45 housings are for the 2.45 gear set only, why they did this I have no clue. Sorry.

Well that is a bummer, but thanks a lot for the info!
I'd hate to spend money on something thinking it was something else.

Are you sure the difference is the case & not the carrier? Just asking because I've got a car of another make that has some weird stuff going on as far as what carrier to use with what gears.

As far as the horsepower numbers, maybe they refer to the same engine? Wasn't the 318 a 230 gross HP engine until they went to the net HP rating around 72 or so, & after that it was called 150 net HP? Just going by memory here.

1974 only had a 150HP single exhaust and a 170HP dual exhaust 318 engine. The 230 HP 318's were in '71 and earlier vehicles. I would bet your transmission is a 904. Check the pan, if it's square with a corner cut off, it's a 904. If you want to change to a low gear ratio (higher numerically) you'll need to change the carrier along with the ring and pinion. You can keep the axle housing and brakes. A good donor is a van or pickup. They're much more likely to have a sure grip and low gears. Grab everything....spacers, adjusters, bearings, Etc. Unless you're an expert, have a good rear end shop set it up for you. It takes some know-how and special tools to do it right.
Thanks, Mark

OK Slim, heres a breakdown on your unknown codes. G4G is actually...G=318 2 bbl, 4=1974, G= St. Louis assembly... G52= Left hand outside mirror-remote-chrome... V1Y= V1=full vinyl top,Y=Gold... E2Y3= E=economy trim class, 2=vinyl, Y3= gold. V5X is actually...V5= Body side protective moulding with Vinyl insert, X= Black. I can't find M38 for 1974, but M88= Deck lid moulding treatment. M36 is the finish panel for 1973. The E44 is the only 318 available in 1974= 318 2 bbl. Hope this helps, Geof

I would bet your transmission is a 904. Check the pan, if it's square with a corner cut off, it's a 904.

Well it looks like you are right Mark. I checked the pan on the tranny and it's square with a corner cut. Looks like the entire drivetrain is getting replaced.

-
Back