A few 383 re-assembly questions

-

cgfen

Reaction score
Please cut me some slack for asking what might seem like very basic questions;
I've been away for many years and expect some things have changed for the better.
i'm installing new lifters on an existing cam. One lifter failed and rather than just replacing one, I am replacing all.

While doing so, I'm not going to do anything other than a cursory clean-up of the intake manifold, valley pan, heads, etc because the engine is in a 32k mile "survivor" and I want to keep the mostly original look, including original paint and flaws.

1) I've cleaned the valley pan around the sealing surfaces and checked to make sure it is not cracked anywhere. I'm planning on re-using it. Any real reason not to if the sealing surfaces are good?

2) What gasket sealant is the hot setup to seal between the valley pan and the head surface, if any?

3) I've done a visual inspection of the rocker arms and shafts. I don't see evidence of abnormal wear / galling / damage. Is there anything else I should check before reassembly?

4) Why are the rocker shaft to cylinder head fasteners different lengths? Is it for oiling?

When reassembling, i'll use assembly lube, oil the other bits, pre-oil with a shaft and drill before startup and break the lifters in per manuf instructions.

Thanks

Craig

That lobe is almost certainly trashed. Replace the cam too!

Sure, you can reuse the valley pan. It's done all the time...

Agree with the others concerning the cam, it may be bad as well depending on why and how the lifter failed.

As far as the valley pan goes, they are now sold with varying thickness paper gaskets to go on either side at the head. I had not seen them until 2012 when I started in on my mine. It solved the annoying little oil drippble into the top of the pan I was never able to stop in the day! Course I run a TM-6 intake.

#4, The long spacers go in the number 2 and number 4 position on the head pedestals.

And keep track of left and right, front or back, The oil holes are angled to install a certain way for the rockers!

thanks for the feedback
lifter fail = hydraulic bleed down after sitting more than 6 hours and the nasty tap tap tap until it would pump up again.
Ran engine 2 days that way
Bottom of lifter and cam lobe show no visible abnormal wear.

thanks for the feedback
lifter fail = hydraulic bleed down after sitting more than 6 hours and the nasty tap tap tap until it would pump up again.
Ran engine 2 days that way
Bottom of lifter and cam lobe show no visible abnormal wear.
Well that is an easy fix, you can fish the lifter out thru the head and replace it.

-
Back