a few shots of the start of the swap

-

CrazyPete

Reaction score
wow what a day its a LOT of work doing this swap i started off degreasing the engine bay at 8am and then test fitting everything and then tried to install the engine only to find out i had to trim the drivers side engine mount but in the end the engine is in finally heres a few pics enjoy
DSC01946.jpg

DSC01947.jpg

DSC01948.jpg

DSC01949.jpg

DSC01950.jpg

DSC01951.jpg

DSC01953.jpg

DSC01954.jpg

DSC01955.jpg

DSC01956.jpg

DSC01958.jpg

DSC01959.jpg

DSC01960.jpg

DSC01961.jpg

schumaker mounts fit good and are very well made im very impressed
DSC01963.jpg

DSC01964.jpg

btw do i need to drill out the drivers side mount to level out the engine or what since that side is higher?

Yeah, you'll probably need to file or cut to lower that side. Yet another reason I like the Direct Connection solution.........

Thats a nice and easy swap. Looks great. if the oil pump you have on is not a high volume , it looks like you have room for one, can not tell by the picture if it is a high volume pump or not. Again looks great!

carlisle Scamp2.JPG

hey looks really good. . i plan i doing this swap in my 74 after i build up my 383. .wat part exactly did you have to cut and trim to get it to fit nicely with the conversion mounts? thanks

stephon

is that a ton of RTV smeard all over by the oil pan rail?
yeah its a used engine and i wanted to make sure its all sealed the last thing i want is a oil leak. I took off the oil pan to check everything out.

hey looks really good. . i plan i doing this swap in my 74 after i build up my 383. .wat part exactly did you have to cut and trim to get it to fit nicely with the conversion mounts? thanks

stephon
the drrivers side mount and actually its pretty easy i have to pull the engine and redrill that mount it needs to be lowered 1 inch so the engine sits level

Looking good!! Is that a 440 you are installing ? I have not kept up Pete.
Keep us updated, I will look and see if you have another thread on the engine.

Looking good!! Is that a 440 you are installing ? I have not kept up Pete.
Keep us updated, I will look and see if you have another thread on the engine.
its actually a 383 i got from a kid a few years back he wanted to drop a 440 in his charger. He claimed it was a low mileage engine and it looks in great shape. I pulled off the oil pan to look at the bottom end has a windage tray, the rods and crank are very nice even the oil pickup looked good, not all packed with sludge. Pulled off the timing chain cover to check the timing chain its got a double roller chain and the kid claims its got a bracketmaster cam. So i thought id give it a try. I got the entire engine for $350 not to bad as long as it works as good as it looks. Right now im kinda trying to figure out what to do with my exaust. Theres a guy locally that has an pile of a 68 cuda drag car with a set of fenderwell headers that i may buy or i may just nut up and buy some schmuker or tti's.

Has anyone found if hp ex. manifolds fit good and flow decent?

well im still working on it finally got the engine in and sitting nice and level got the schmaker headers now just waiting for my tranny to come back after the rebuild. Its amazing once you get married all the sudden you dont have any free time. Pics to come later

Ive just done the same swap recently in my '76 Duster... 383 gone in with Schumacher mounts and headers.. They were worth every damn cent.. The swap was so easy and I purchase an deep centre oil pan from KMJ Performance and it fit perfectly as well...

Looks good and give that engine a try...watch out for those studs in those heads....sometimes each one of them enter the water jack and you will have to seal the header bolts...

thanks guys im hoping the tranny comes back from the builder this weekend and i can start making real progress

it was a pain in the a@@ installing the engine and trans together but atleast its in now i gotta find a good cheap mini starter...............anyone got any suggestions ?

Also after i get the starter i gotta install the drivers side header and tips? there schumaker headers. I figured i could just remove the bolt from the mount and lift the engine its just kinda a pain getting that bolt in and out.

yeah i was going to do that but it took way to long to get the thing in the bay last night i was tired and just wanted to get it buttoned up

ive got a slant 6 starter ive just had issues in the past with those pos re man units so i figured might as well get something decent this time......maybe ill just use that one the engine isnt wild by any means just a cheap engine i bought from a kid super cheap(he thought he had to have a 440) its been rebuilt and got a few goodies in it i did a regasket and everything looked great. So far the most ive got into the car are the headers or the trans. Good thing i had a bunch of old parts laying around

starter from any newer magnum motor fits , i had one on my last 383 , it cranked it no problem.

i ended up getting one from ebay pretty nice got it for 48 bux shipped looks just like a magnum starter but this is new not a reman unit i checked all the local part stores and they wanted 80-120 for a newer starter. Next step is installing these headers and the starter its fighting me some now

I have a 73 dart swinger that i used the same mounts and a 440. i had to round off the front part of the factory mounting hole and drill a new hole for the motor mount bolt. the mount kit should of came with the instructions to show how everything needs to be done. i used a starter for a 96 dodge 5.9 magnum and it has no problme turning over my 11.3.1 440 and yes a high valume oil pump will fit with these mounts. here is a pic of my car after i just got done putting the 440 in. good luck on your car. Mopar658)

Attachments

• 100_0776%20(Large).jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_0775%20(Large).jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 100_0520%20(Large).jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 191
-
Back