A fortuitous "part of the day" with the Scamp

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I MAY have the glass leaks sorta fixed, that is a rather annoying story

I have decided, instead of launching right into throwing the interior at the car, to give that some time, get it running, driving, fix mechanical issues, and run it through a car wash, etc, and actually see if the weather integrity is imagination or real I WILL NOT be going back to this glass company, and if more is needed that means it will cost more money.

So today I pulled all 4 wheels and drums (slant six so small drum brakes and sb pattern wheels) and found the shoes are likely recent, and show good contact in the drums. Everything looks great. It needs a master cylinder

When I pulled the front hubs this is the "fortuitous" part. Turns out whoever installed the front hubs tightened the nuts on the bearings---likely to 10 FOOT lb instead of INCH lb, and then did not back them off to "just snug." Likely, the brakes were "done" and very little miles put on the car. Bearings looked good so I "re" adjusted

The tank has "sour" fuel and I was not sure how much. The hose from line to pump IS THE ORIGINAL 1974 ITEM and is "mushy." Difficult to get to, I pulled the alternator and discovered the brushes are almost "gooey" with dirt/ grease. So after I pulled the fuel hose, I "rigged" a drain hose and ended up recovering nearly exactly 5 gal of orange colored foul fuel.

So replace the rubber lines, clean the carb, check/ replace plugs, compression/ leak down and check timing. Fix the alternator and clean the VR mounting and re--mount.

Next is clean the carb and replace the master

After that "it might be" needs a water pump. One day I had it running and something was leaking coolant. Car came with a new pump, so I assume that is it. Have not looked

Tailpipe looks like swiss cheese, I'll have to argue with that mess

THE ONE BIG THING is discovering the overly tight front bearings!!!

I went down and did battle with the DMV the other day, and got the plates renewed, so it might "see the road" in a little bit.

-
Back