A friend asked me to buy this for him when I get home. Pretty cool, not Mopar though

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
You offroad guys might appreciate this..

17296359_640.jpg

17296367_640.jpg

17296377_640.jpg

17296383_640.jpg

17296388_640.jpg

17296390_640.jpg

17296399_640.jpg

17296443_640.jpg

"1979 f350 with a 18" lift on 49" iroks. truck has been a complete frame off rebuild. it took me about 12 trucks in total to create this one really nice one. was built to be a serious 4x4 and look good while still being street legal. here are a few things to note:

-1979 dana 60 front axle, new warn hubs, 4:10's, king pings, high pinion

-NWF highsteer with the drag link and tie rod made of their heaviest wall tube

-hydro assist steering with a 1.5 hydraulic cylinder

-hydro boost brakes out of 1999 superduty

-14 bolt rear axle, chopped and pointed up with new disc brakes conversion

-custom made 1 ton heavy duty 1410 rear driveshaft with massive cv
all other drive shafts also custom made with 1350 1 ton u joints

-newly rebuilt 390 with alum intake, new heads, headers, mallory dist,mallory box, electric fan running off 90 amp circuit breaker, high output 130 amp alt

-new bds front lift springs with hanger drop. shackle flip in the rear

-procomp remote resevoir shocks

-$5000 paint job on it with really good body parts used. new ford oxford clearcoat white with a hot rod pearl blue metallic. painted in cab as well.

-power windows power locks, automatic dropping ladder steps that lockout

-internal bolted connection roll cage with 40 20 40 2001 ford superduty seats

-rhino guarded box and all new grade 8 bolts throughout entire chassis/body

-adjustable fender flares that can pan out from 4" to 8" or even be diconnected completely on 2 tabs. nice option because everyone knows fender flares are super gay and ugly! keeps the cops happy but you can cheat by adjusting em

this truck has been built to be used hard and look good. its an absolute beast and really fun to drive on/off road."

Anyways, found this online, and a guy I work with asked me if he could wire me the $$$, and wants me to go check it out and buy it for him and hold onto it until he can come get it.

was built to be a serious 4x4

lol.... hit one good hole out offroading and those tires will destroy the front fenders and possibly the wheelwells on the bed when the tires hit them. that is a concrete cowboy if i ever saw one..

neat street truck though.

in jersey the 49" tires wouldn't be legal, it would need flares and mud flaps too. and when you could get big trucks legal here it may have needed the headlights relocated lower.

in jersey the 49" tires wouldn't be legal, it would need flares and mud flaps too. and when you could get big trucks legal here it may have needed the headlights relocated lower.

I'm pretty sure the legal tire size here is 54". It has 'adjustable' flares, but I'm thinking it definitely still needs mud flaps. The headlight one is a good point too.

I'm pretty sure the legal tire size here is 54". It has 'adjustable' flares, but I'm thinking it definitely still needs mud flaps. The headlight one is a good point too.

every state is different. jersey as usual is very strict with things..

fords of that style mopar or not are cool in my book. everything checks out strength wise but the gearing if i even thought about paying 3k for 49 inch tires id get some gearing above 5.00 and offroad? the 390 stock isnt enough to pull those tires thru hardly anything. a ford with a 390 on 38s with 4.56 will go thru more stuff than that truck. also your mpgs will suffer severly cause of the low gearing, now 49s dont get much better than 9 mpgs but with 4.10s youd be saying gallons per mile, get some gears and you could get 9 or 10 mpg which is great for something that size. just my .02

If this is what makes your friend happy then I am happy for him. This world is made up of different strokes for different folks. Opinions are like a&&holes everyone has one , most should be kept to themselves. LIVE FREE OR DIE!

fords of that style mopar or not are cool in my book. everything checks out strength wise but the gearing if i even thought about paying 3k for 49 inch tires id get some gearing above 5.00 and offroad? the 390 stock isnt enough to pull those tires thru hardly anything. a ford with a 390 on 38s with 4.56 will go thru more stuff than that truck. also your mpgs will suffer severly cause of the low gearing, now 49s dont get much better than 9 mpgs but with 4.10s youd be saying gallons per mile, get some gears and you could get 9 or 10 mpg which is great for something that size. just my .02

All good points, thank you, I will pass these on to him. Any more input? It's appreciated, as $10K is a bit of a chunk to throw at something.

It will probably get tagged with a vehicle inspection first time out, they will try to get you on the parking brake not holding, mudflaps, headlight and bumper height. Be there done that and mine was small 8 inch lift 38 inch Swampers.

chevonbaker2.jpg

It will probably get tagged with a vehicle inspection first time out, they will try to get you on the parking brake not holding, mudflaps, headlight and bumper height. Be there done that and mine was small 8 inch lift 38 inch Swampers.

chevonbaker2.jpg

For some reason the island must be more lenient. The guy lives in Kamloops though. But I've been pulled over in my Fargo before, and never been harassed on mudflaps, bumper height, headlights, anything, and it's riding on 40" bias ply.

DSC03398.jpg

well i ride an atv so im in no way an expert. but my stock ford f150 had 4.11s and when i mentioned 33 12.5, r15 they suggested bump up to 4.56. but while on my atv i follow the big mud trucks around theres a 79 ford on 40s, an 10 on 38s with a stroker. both trucks are in the 10k + build zone. buth run half ton axles. idk the more mechanical stuff like wat gears theyre running and such, but they do pretty well but youll get stuck sooner or later. now 49 inch iroks are another story, iroks grip hard so breakage is highly likely if mudded hard. 10k is aot to throw at a truck but the hard stuff has been done. lift, tires alone will run you in 5k zone, the clean body itself is rare so thats body work knocked out and paint is done and done beautifuly. so if you have 10k hes not asking a ridiculous price for wat it is as long as it runs and the motor is clean and solid. if he wants a mall crawler its great itll get alot of attention both good an bad i dont remeber if it has steering stabilizers but it will need them. and if he wants o mud it throw out the danas and get a set of rockwell duece and a half axles, and get it to make more hp. so my advice based on wat ive seen in the pit and such. mall crawler: hell need bigger gears, that compare and match up with the 390. mud monster: rockwell axles, way bigger gears, more hp a bigger motor if need be. so it really comes down to wat he wants it for. again just my .02 if im wrong on anything please correct me.

If it was mine I would just bite the bullet and get a set of Rockwells. 6.72 gears, hyd. ram steering and you can even have it set up for rear steer. Also a coil setup and link system. Nice truck but 49's and 4.10's, ouch! I had 35's and 3.08's and couldn't stand it more than a week.

Attachments

• two_haft_ton_axles-5.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 281
every state is different. jersey as usual is very strict with things..
Seem to remember back in the mid-late 80's NJ having a tilt test of sorts. rolled you onto 4 scales, weighed the truck, tilted you to a certain angle and you were allowed a certain percentage of weight shift or some crap like that. Guy I went to school with had a f250 with rockwells under it and he was telling me about it. His truck was legal, he had some issues with low hanging power lines when he had the lights on the truck....this is more style of truck.....

Attachments

• ranger.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 256
Here in MI we would call that "one of them thar lookin at trucks" LOL

does not look like it was built for what it looks like it was built for.

and I do not like how many leafs and blocks it has on it.

looks like one hell of a stiff ride.

mudding and trailing are fun sports....but can get expensive because if your not breaking stuff than your not doing things right HAHA.

here are a couple me and my buddys have built recently

The old tan Jeep wagon we put a PUMPED UP 400 ford big block in with twin stick t-case and 44's and all sorts of other crap

The green jeep TJ we put a 6.5" long arm lift on with 35's and gears and did a bunch of other stuff to (this one was built for trail riding).

The white dodge cummins my buddy built and he builds custom bumpers and they are all made with a (go big or go home) type of mentality LOL....back bumper has dual 12" D rings hanging from it LOL.

And the big red dodge is my other buddys, he has had it for quite awhile and it has gone through a MASSIVE transformation! This thing is BIG

and then there is a pic of the red dodge in the mud

Attachments

• n1806729015_14259_193583.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 38164_1419696164889_1007204303_31009498_2487978_n.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 168047_530115617429_53802022_31136877_1037178_n.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 10959_100391976653287_100000474547092_8573_4344812_n.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 40335_139176496118643_100000788808649_155904_1873840_n.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 234
Yup some of the cops here hate big 4x4 and modified cars.

My 4x4 had one ton axles and a 454 big block so no power or breakage problems just a lot of expensive for tires, ball joints, fuel,brakes, etc.

power wagons make bad *** mud toys! i want that red one! and yes camd 64 has the right idea. rockwells, gears, rear steering oh man i forgot that, coil overs and just build a monster truck.

Seem to remember back in the mid-late 80's NJ having a tilt test of sorts. rolled you onto 4 scales, weighed the truck, tilted you to a certain angle and you were allowed a certain percentage of weight shift or some crap like that. Guy I went to school with had a f250 with rockwells under it and he was telling me about it. His truck was legal, he had some issues with low hanging power lines when he had the lights on the truck....this is more style of truck.....

yup.. they changed things even more now though.. think there is a 4" lift limt and there is also a tire size limit. the lift imspection was crazy. not only did they do the tilt test like you remember but that alse checked everything under the turck. better have 3 threads sticking out past the nut for the shocks or you'll fail.. checked the u-bolts, mud flaps and flares were a must.. quite a few big trucks were legal buddy had a little ford ranger with 40's on it that passed with no problems.. my jeep with 33's on it needed to go through it.

the thing that caused all the bullshit was some idiot in a lifted truck was running around with bald tires and a total pile of crap truck and ended up killing someone. after that and i'm sure many more unsafe truck incidents they cracked down hard on the big truck thing.

here is nj lift laws. not sure if its a complete list mut its a lot of it..

An examination of your vehicle indicates that it has been raised more than 4 inches beyond its manufactured height. Under the provisions of N.J.A.C. 13:20-37.3, such a vehicle must undergo a geometric stability test.
These tests are being conducted by appointment only at specialty inspection locations. A comprehensive examination of the steering and suspension will be conducted. There is no charge for this inspection. Please call the location of your choice as soon as possible, since the test must be completed prior to the expiration date of your inspection sticker.

Conditions for the motor vehicles with elevated chassis heights are:

(1) Steering gear ratios and steering wheel left stop to right stop turns must be within 1/2 turn of the original manufacturers specifications.

(2) Headlights shall be mounted no lower than 22" nor more than 54" above the ground.

(3) Taillights shall be mounted no lower than 15" nor more than 72" above the ground.

(4) Off road lights must be covered while operating on public roads.

(5) License plates must be mounted no less than 12" nor more than 48" above the ground.

(6) Brake lines and hoses must be protected from excess heat and vibration. They must be mounted in a manner to prevent chafing, undue wear, stress, or unintentional disconnection.

(7) Vehicles originally equipped with bumpers must have them securely fastened, no less then 16" from the ground to the bottom of the bumper, and shall extend the full width of the vehicle.

(8) Maximum tire diameter allowed will be 38" or 6" over stock, whichever is less.

(9) All tires must be the same size. Maximum tire pressure as stated on tire is recommended. Front tires must be at least 60% of the tread width of the rear tires.

(10) Front fenders must extend over the full width of the tire tread. Rear tires that are not covered by the fender or other body parts must be equipped with metal protectors or flexible flaps that prevent dirt, debris and water from being thrown.

(11) Exposed fuel tanks must be encased. Side mounted tanks must have a protective bar to prevent rupture.

(12) Exposed exhaust system components and moving parts must be shielded.

(13) Ballast must be securely mounted.

(14) Releasing the steering wheel in a sharp turn shall result in an increase in turning radius.

(15) Spacers to increase track width are prohibited.

(16) Maximum lift heights for GVWR 4500 lbs and under... 7" above original vehicle height.

(17) Maximum lift heights for GVWR 4501 - 7500 lbs... 9" above original vehicle height.

(18) Maximum lift heights for GVWR 7501 - 10,000 lbs... 11" above original vehicle height.

(19) No blocks are allowed on the front suspension.

(20) All credentials are to be up to date.

(21) Please report to the Supervisor’s Office at least 10 minutes prior to your appointment. Lateness will result in cancellation of the scheduled appointment. Do not wait in the inspection line. Stability tests are not given in inclement weather. Please call the station if questionable.

Please Note: Vehicles that have been previously approved prior to October 1, 1998 are exempt from lift restrictions. However, all other regulations must be complied with by February 1, 1999 except limitations on tire diameter which must be complied with by October 1, 2000.

Vehicles Certified Prior to 10/1/98

All vehicles tested and approved prior to October 1, 1998 will have until October 1, 2000 to comply with the tire diameter requirements. While all vehicles approved prior to October 1, 1998 will be exempt from the maximum lift requirements, once the vehicle is retrofitted to comply with the new tire regulations, a new stability test will be required.
Effective October 1, 2000, maximum tire diameter will be no more than six (6) inches larger than the stock tire available from the manufacturer ( for that model and model year ) or thirty-eight inch diameter, whichever is LESS.

(973) 631-6578

They do lift inspections by appointment on MONDAYS ONLY

-
Back