A little rebuild advice needed please :)

-

v8val

v8val
Reaction score
Hi all, i'm in the process of pulling down an 833 for my first time for a kit. The box has sat for a few years opened but it seems to be not too dry etc. Still has grease or old oil around the gears etc. I'm down to the reverse shaft and countershaft. These both seem in very good condition and there doesn't seem to be much endplay at all.

2 Questions, Should the gears be able to pin freely? Because they seem really hard to turn.

If this is normal, is it worth pulling it all the way down??

Thanx guys, any advice appreciated!!

Any ideas guys? Sorry i'm in Australia so don't really know if anyone has even had much of a chance to read this.Also not many over here that know these boxes much at all...... Cheers, Ben.

Mine was fairly hard to turn by hand before the rebuild and was much harder after the rebuild. I could turn it by the input shaft, but the gears didn't want to spin if I tried to turn by hand from the side of the open case, add that with the old sticky oil... should be pretty hard to turn.
One thing I did notice before the rebuild was a tight spot as I turned the input shaft.
If you've got it that far apart, you might as well get it the rest of the way down... I'd much rather pull it apart now than have to pull it again after it's all back together...

Thanks for the reply mate, I ended up puloling it down, like you said, while i'm there..... Anyways, just waiting for my kit to arrive, stinkin USPS, should be all good. Cheers :)

Couple tips.
Installing the tail housing can be tricky. Before installing the tail housing gasket,practice putting it together and taking it apart a couple times. Now that your comfortable,put it together with the gasket. This will help you avoid tearing up the gasket. (Ask me how I know).

Another tip is type of oil when you get it back together. The 833 uses a GL-4 oil. GL-4 oil is getting tough to find in the states. It is a special formula made for the soft (brass) syncros. I recommend Redline MT-80 GL-4.
I put that in my trans and it shifted like a brand new tranny. I wont use anything else here on out. Some might recommend ATF, but thats dinosaur technology.

Hope this helps mate.
JD

Thankx for the reply, and oil recommendation, was just about to search it. I didn't tear the gasket but i did forget the last synchro....Oops. No harm done though, it was hanging on my tool board above my bench and i realised straight away.;)

-
Back