a little wiring help and other ?s

-

jmfasc

Reaction score
hey guys. so i try not to post asking anything without doing a lot of research.. so i just got my 98 ram sst motor and trans in the duster.. pretty much all done.. just gotta finish a few things like mount the big trans cooler, finish the 8.8 rear, exhaust, and hook up throttle cable.. and ac but im not worried about that yet... this place has been a huge help btw! couldnt of done it without yall!

so my problem is, when cranking it over, it takes the 12 volts from the other wire that connects to the relays running the spark and fuel. if i put them straight on battery, itll start right up.. i know i can just put a kill switch in for it but id rather not.. is there something im missing?

and another thing was the throttle.. i wasnt really paying attention to it till after i got rid of the truck. but should i have gotten it from the truck for it to be easier?

The original mopar ignition switches do this. Look at the original diagram of your car. The "IGN 1" is the "run" wire tradtionally dark blue. This goes dead during cranking

The "IGN 2" wire, traditionally brown, comes off a separate dedicated contact on the ignition switch, and feeds to the coil+ side of the ballast. This is what is hot in "start" and provided ignition voltage to the coil

If you do not have a ballast resistor (and I guess you dont LOL), you can jumper the ign1 and ign2 together

Another thing that can happen is that if your ignition switch is worn out it can drop voltage between start and run position which will unlatch ASD relay momentarily and cause a start and die situation.
I guess you got your fittings?

Another thing that can happen is that if your ignition switch is worn out it can drop voltage between start and run position which will unlatch ASD relay momentarily and cause a start and die situation.
I guess you got your fittings?
Yeah I just got home and that did the trick. Still figuring out some other stuff. I hooked up the obd port, just to test it out, and only throwing two codes. So far lol. But yeah I got your last fitting and I messed up on my part. I thought the inlet of the fuel filter was the big one in the center. Didn't notice it says it right there! Lol. But I figured it out and it's a sweet set up! No leaks and it's so quiet! The only trouble I had was finding a good fairing tool for my factory lines. Idk if theyre using harder steel now or what but nothing was holding the line in place. I'll start another thread when it's all done.

So what are yall using for the throttle? The factory one from the doner?

-
Back