A/M radio

-

ktcnn94

Reaction score
Any suggestions for getting some updated tunes, I've gotta '69 dart with the original thumbwheel a/m radio still there and working with its single dash speaker. I'm not gonna cut the dash and I don't wanna break the bank for one of the replacements with USB inputs etc. any ideas? Was thinking of maybe an FM converter or maybe trying to mount something in the glovebox. Don't wanna hang anything off the bottom of the dash either. Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I suppose you could mount an FM converter anywhere. They are usually designed to hang under the dash, but the one I saw only had an on/off switch -- you could tuck it out of sight, anywhere you could reach in and hit the button.

Although, you'd probably get better sound out of one of those speaker docks for an iPod or smartphone. It could be powered via USB from a cigar lighter adapter. I don't know where it would sit, though.

Yeah that's a thought on the iPhone or iPod, may look into that. Thanks.

I should say the dock for the iPod I'll check into. I've got the iPod I use in other vehicles via USB. thanks.

61forfun, thanks that's a good idea, BTW do you still have yours and wanna sale it?

I will post some pictures on Monday after I get into my shop. I had the shop install a top-of-the line Alpine Bluetooth, cd, satellite, am/fm in the glovebox. We fabricated a frame for a 75 duster plastic glovebox into my 73 duster. That unit will drive two new rear deck 6x9 speakers, mounted from below a slotted package tray and two kick panel speakers. The OE am radio will drive a new dash 4x10. A bit overdone. O:) . But the goal was to be as close to stock appearance as possible. The sound is great.

Dennis

I'll check out those links, thanks. Yes please post pics of the glove box mounting. That was a thought I had and figured someone had done it and hoped for a pic to give me a mounting idea. Thank you.

ktcnn94, if you want an FM converter I have one that you can have. Just cover the shipping and its yours. It was on the 66 dart I bought and I never tried it to see if it works but I have no use for it. I almost threw it out last week. Your welcome to it! I think the mounting brackets are still on it.
Rod

Sure I'll take it and give that s try. PayPal ok or do you prefer postal money order. PM me how to handle the payment and your address etc. thanks Rod, good deal.

i'm no help! just the sound of that engine..... if I need more engine, I just spring for better sounding exhaust!? lol

I hear ya barbee, lol. its a slant car that im gonna drive to work quite often so not much to change there. My '71 has the nice v-8 and exhaust that I listen to when im driving it.

as promised. some pictures of my in glove box radio in progress.

Dennis

In picture 1 note that the radio is mounted as high and a far left as possible. My original hole was not high enough or left enough to fit.

In picture 2 you can see the original slits I cut to suspend a band of aluminum sheeting riveted to the top of the glove box.

In picture 3 you can see the wiring patches. there is plenty of room behind the glove box for the wiring and the sirius/xm receiver.

clearly there will need to be some patching of the glove box to fill in the errant holes. I hope this save others the pain. adhesive felt paper should clean up the patches.View attachment duster radio 1.jpg

View attachment duster radio 2.jpg

View attachment duster radio 3.jpg

Thanks for the pics. That's kinda what I was thinking of trying and as you stated I'll hopefully learn from your mistakes. :)

-
Back