a more exotic swap

-

rapidtransitric

LX/LC platform a body swap pioneer
Reaction score
hey fellow mopes!!!!!!!!

anybody ever do, seen done, or thought about putting a stealth ttvr4 into an a body?:cheers:

No. I like cars that run.

The reason you never see any on the road anymore is because (from a reliability and parts cost standpoint) they were 100% pure crap.

maybe........ i guess to each there own. or maybe you just understand a carburetor. i might be an old fossil from the phsycodelic years but i do try to acecept new ideas. i don't wear my balls on my chin and just stick to what the norm is .

or ahhhhh, yeah thats it!!! you can barely comprehend a carbureter!!!!!!!

You asked about a Stealth Twin Turbo, 4 wheel drive, drive train being put in an A-Body.

My reply is that the Stealth was and is a hunk of crap and if I were to do a modern swap it would be with something good. Guess for some I need to be more clear.

If you wanted all wheel drive use the awd from a newer 300.

The stealth was a throw away car, plus it was a Jap car anyway.

that may be but looke at your part numbers and labels on the parts your buying these days and you'll see they aren't from the usa

hey fellow mopes!!!!!!!!

anybody ever do, seen done, or thought about putting a stealth ttvr4 into an a body?:cheers:

This is the Early ABody section. This is for the cars with the small engine bay,
1966 and older, that don't have much room.

You want to try an exotic swap, I would start with a 1968 Dart,
or a Duster.

If you do this swap take lots of digital phots and measurments, and
let us know about any problems, like clutch linkage and shifter location,
and let us know how you resolved it.

That might be kool to figure how to convert a Pushbutton Dash mounted
shifter setup to work with the Stealth tranny.

back in the day the guy down the road put his 64 cuda/ valant on a bronco frame set a little high . but was 4 wheel drive

well rigt now this is on the drawing board. and yes this is the early a body section. well you can't get to much earlier than a 61 or 62 dodge lancer. anyway i have had thirtyseven years of building mopars my self i have always thought outside the box always had to have it my way. like i said its on the drawing board you'll know if i ever make it areality i mean what else are you gonna do when your in the middle of a chicago winter.. do mopar guys snowmobile or ski? i thought we only live and breath mopar

How about an SRT-4 motor? 2.4L Turbo motor. Compact, big potential, more reliable, etc. They sound wicked as well! I would go as far as to say that the SRT-4 motor will be able to produce more power than the VR-4 motor, easily. The Nissan 300ZX TT, and the Mitsubishi 3000GT/Stealth VR-4s are notorious for being very difficult to make good power and tune. And that's in the Original cars! I could imagine that this swap into an A-Body would be a huge headache. So, I suggest looking into the SRT-4 motor.

If you want to try to put a stealth 4 banger in from Mitsubishi, feel free. But depending on what you are trying to accomplish, If it is 4-wheel drive, like said above, you could do the Daimler Donated AWD technology in the 300's At least then you can bolt it up to new style V8 or V6.

Personally, I wouldnt want to deal with either of the two computers and working out how to computerize the simplest A-bodies out there. Go from 3 wires to the engine to 50, Plus the trans, plus the AWD, etc. Sounds like a wiring nightmare. Doesnt sound much fun. I like mine simple.

the one i have kicked around a few times is the fact that they had slant 6 in them stock (mine is a 225 and its a big motor size wise) so in my mind a viper V10 would/should fit let me tell you a V10 6speed fed into an ford thunder bird IRS with the AlterKation front end would be a VERY sweet car

the ttengine in the stealth rt and 3000gt was a v6 and as far as wires there are only two wires in the a body that you would need to power the harness of this system. same as you do when you drop an efi magnum in

yes the viper v10 is another concept i have thought about also i'm just waiting for the motor to be dropped in my lap i work for a shop called "RIDES BY DESIGN" and thats just what we do. (you dream it we build it you drive it!)

I dont know his name but there is a guy in Louisiana that has a 66 Valiant with a 3000gt motor, I met him at a milk plant. So it has been done. Personally, I wouldnt ruin something from Ma Mopar with a Mitsuleaky motor.

This is an awesome idea, exotic swaps are pretty damn cool IMO. I have thought about this and a SRT-4 swap into an early A-body. I agree that an SRT-4 would be a more reliable swap, but if you are set on a VR4 then go for it. I think the VR4 would be pretty pricey though, they are not very easy to come by from what I have seen. I have also thought about a 3.9L magnum turbo set-up as well. Viper V10 swaps are always cool. Is there any other chrysler power plants that would be unique and still make some power, I know there are bunch of v6's but I don't know which are strong enough, also there is the older turbo 4 cylinder, 2.2L? I think, some people have made a lot of power with those.

hey fellow mopes!!!!!!!!

I've seen more blasphemous swaps - at least that donor could be had with Dodge badges. Are you trying to (1) put the entire all wheel drive system in the A-body, or (2) rotate the engine 90 degrees and have it drive just the rear wheels?

The biggest issues I can think of -

For (1), trying to come up with a proper front suspension for it. The Stealth's strut type suspension won't be an easy transplant into an A-body; it may not even clear the hood.

For (2), you'd need to deal with a transmission adapter and reconfiguring the oiling system; some parts out of a Montero / Raider might help for the latter. Being a DOHC V6, the thing is very wide, looks like it's wider than a big block, and we all know tightly those fit into an early A-body.

Guys, not all Japanese cars are bad and have you forgotten about Chrysler's long standing partnership with Mistubishi? Hell for a while Mitsu even owned the HEMI trademark!

I like the idea! At least it's not a 350! ;)

I say do what makes you happy, rapidtransitric!! 8)

My advice is this,put the pipe down & walk away.N A or A A should have some chapters in your area.There are plenty of good people who will sponsor you.Have you ever done repairs on these things?1st IF you can find 1 that the harness isnt FUBAR,ed due to oil contamination,do you know how to do a minor thing like accessing the ECU if the engine wont start?That I can assure AINT easy.THEN getting the proper diag procedures frfom Bitsumishi.Find a shop that has Mitchell On Demand or Alldata(aka Smalldata)& take a look @ how other "minor" things like oh,veh spd sensor.O2's pre & post cat if aplicable & I can go on & on.Real world mechanics is wwwaaayyy different from building street rods cause YOU WILL be married to it if it doesnt turn out right.Comprehend THAT Poindexter!

imho i would say forget the mitsubihi stuff. ya its kinda mopar but not enough to give up quality. i would look into a different exoctic swap. i personally really like the sr20t motor from the nissan 240sx like what fast and furious did. good reliable motor, endless performance parts, and good power. use their 5 speed and find a good solid irs set up for the rear and throw all that in a 63 valiant and blow people away. in my opinion that would be better then the mits or even the srt4 cuz its set up for rwd. i do think a awd a-body would be killer but havent looked into it much myself. good luck and keep it clean no matter what you do.

o if you stay with '96 or newer you have obdII which is far superior to any obdI system and will save you a lotta headaches. it seems to have cleaner wiring harnesses and better plugs-ins to lol. not a mandatory thing but when the computers got smart i guess so did the designers lol

-
Back