A new family member

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I did it again but I`m happy I did. After so many years of searching for that one unmolested 68 Dart GTS!........... BINGO!!!:cheers: Finally found the car on ESCREW. I actually lost the auction but the winning bidder defaulted so the seller offered it to me. I`ve been looking for years, but every one I looked at had all sorts of modifications and that`s if it had it`s original drivetrain. This one was rough but ALL there and just 4 hrs. from me. I`ve found 2 and 1/2 broadcast sheets for it, 2 under the back seats and 1/2 behind the glove box. She`s an all matching #`s 68 Dart GTS 340,AT, PS, buckets ,center console, blk. vinyl top, GG1 dark green w/long. stripe and black interior. The down side is she`s rough and I mean not one straight panel on it. The bottom of the car is in great shape no rust at all ,not even the trunk extensions! I plan on putting it back to original as much as possible. The original engine (carb,intake,breather, dual point dist. ex.manifoldss w/shields)and trans/rear are all intact and all vins and sequence #`s are all there so I`m starting another. I hadn`t even finished the vert but Cindy (my sweetheart and fearless leader) is anxious for me to start on the Dart so off we go!!!! Here`s a few pics. :toothy10:

IM000311 (Small).JPG

IM000310 (Small).JPG

IM000309 (Small).JPG

IM000319 (Small).JPG

IM000312 (Small).JPG

Cool .... I'd say it's a great find. I was watching it on eBay....

I watch all the 68/69 GTS's and 69 Swingers just to keep up with the money they're bringing.

Good Luck and keep us posted.......

You have a sickness. Moparitis strikes again. Almost got me this weekend but the 68 dart I was looking at was hacked. Nice find

So, you have to tell us the story behind her...How many owners, how did she get that way...?

Thank you!

Clint

So, you have to tell us the story behind her...How many owners, how did she get that way...?

Thank you!

Clint

I bought it from the second owner, who never did anything with it, basically had it parked in his garage/ warehouse where it suffered most all of it`s body damage. It was hit with a forklift in the RF and they pushed the car around with it too which tore up the trunk lid and panel. Idiots!!! The total neglect of this car is the reason it`s so original though. Lol! I`ve looked for about 10 years off and on trying to find one that (was affordable and) wasn`t taken all apart. I`d given up a long time ago and this one came along. When I found out it was all there I was tickled. And you thought when you clicked on this thread you`d be hearing about my newest grand daughter or something.:-D

Cool .... I'd say it's a great find. I was watching it on eBay....

I watch all the 68/69 GTS's and 69 Swingers just to keep up with the money they're bringing.

Good Luck and keep us posted.......

They`re constantly getting more for these cars, but you can still do well if you`re patient. Look out Mustang and Camaro!

Nice find John! It's got the super cool grille center on it. I sure would love to come & borrow that radio bezel for my 69! LOL I'll be sure to let you know when the manifolds get here & should get my mustang rotors Monday. can;t wait to get them machined & on my hubs. I sw the pictures of your barracuda, one of my buddy's has the same wheels on his 70 charger, very cool wheel on your car, looks great! Your new toy is my favorite green & I love the dogdish hubcaps!

You have a sickness. Moparitis strikes again. Almost got me this weekend but the 68 dart I was looking at was hacked. Nice find

Yeah Dave , that`s what kept me from buying one for so long. They`re all hacked up!!! This was the car I was looking for when my Barracuda came along. My Barracuda is the product of the two matching #`s 68 Barracudas I bought on Eb-endmeover. Both ended up being NOT MATCHING #`s cars. They were parted and hacked, and/or the sellers were ignorant or just plain liars. That`s why my Barracuda went from a relatively stock 383 4spd. to the behemoth cubed 5spd. it is now. There was no point trying to keep it as a factory ride. This one`s going to be different. I`m very excited to get started.:headbang:

Yep!!
When I clicked on this thread
I thought a child was born or someone got hitched!!
Congratulations !! It is good to hear it found a good home.:cheers:
That old 340 underhood shot brings back some good memories.

longgone That car has been looking for you.:clock:
And they say by default. It was meant to happen.:toothy10:

Nice find John! It's got the super cool grille center on it. I sure would love to come & borrow that radio bezel for my 69! LOL I'll be sure to let you know when the manifolds get here & should get my mustang rotors Monday. can;t wait to get them machined & on my hubs. I sw the pictures of your barracuda, one of my buddy's has the same wheels on his 70 charger, very cool wheel on your car, looks great! Your new toy is my favorite green & I love the dogdish hubcaps!

Hey Pat, Thanks and how are ya? I had another 68 with the center grille piece (see old photo) but haven`t seen many lately. Did I mention it`s got an AM/FM behind that bezel.=P~. I saw another set of manifolds on Ebay and they`re at $406.00 something and haven`t made the reserve! Yeah, the Barracudas a blast to drive, scares the #$%^&*(_+ out of my girlfriend! Thanks people really like those wheels. I saw the original radiator for your car on Ebay starting at $175.00 which is great. They`ll bring 5 clams on a good day. If you don`t have the original you should go for it. Let us all know how the rotor swap turns out for you.- John

scan0002 (Small).jpg

Yep!!
When I clicked on this thread
I thought a child was born or someone got hitched!!
Congratulations !! It is good to hear it found a good home.:cheers:
That old 340 underhood shot brings back some good memories.

longgone That car has been looking for you.:clock:
And they say by default. It was meant to happen.:toothy10:

That`s what the girlfriend says...........do do....do do ....do do....do do.....twilight zone music playing!

Can you look out the window and see it!!
If so, Move it or cover it up, or you won't get no sleep tonight.

longgone that is a very good car! i see it has va. plates. where was it at? tidewater? that is going to be a pretty car when you finish it. i like the white stripe on the dark green. very different. congrats!

OOOh, that's really a sweet car...GG1 dark green, its nearly black! Looks like a really cool project, and it'll be a blast to drive!
Congrats!

A 68GTS 340 GG1 with a high WAF! That's about as great as they come! It's great to see there's still some original ones out there. This one's going to be a great resto, and I'm looking forward to following it in the resto section..

Cool car, that is basically what I have, just mine is light green with a white and green interior. Mine has a little rust in the lower 1/4's and dog legs of the fenders, but it's all original, numbers matching 340/727. I was surprised to find it back in '93. Amazing that you could find one like that in this day.

longgone that is a very good car! i see it has va. plates. where was it at? tidewater? that is going to be a pretty car when you finish it. i like the white stripe on the dark green. very different. congrats!
Hello 7demon2- I found it in Danville, basically in the cow pasture. Lol! I was truly shocked to see how much of it was still there! I`ve done some of the decoding and everything is checking out. It`s an early 68 with an Aug.28th of `67 build date, eng.block cast 8/20/67 and has the stainless wheelwell moulding and the 741 3rd member. This should be a nice one when she`s all back together,just need to find the time.:clock:
OOOh, that's really a sweet car...GG1 dark green, its nearly black! Looks like a really cool project, and it'll be a blast to drive!
Congrats!
It was so dark in the pictures I didn`t even know it had a vinyl top, but I`m all good with it.
A 68GTS 340 GG1 with a high WAF! That's about as great as they come! It's great to see there's still some original ones out there. This one's going to be a great resto, and I'm looking forward to following it in the resto section..
I should get it on the resto forum soon.
Cool car, that is basically what I have, just mine is light green with a white and green interior. Mine has a little rust in the lower 1/4's and dog legs of the fenders, but it's all original, numbers matching 340/727. I was surprised to find it back in '93. Amazing that you could find one like that in this day.
These cars are getting scarce unless you have 25K in your pocket ,then they`re all around. Lol! Any of you 68 GTS guys out there have any spare parts, I`m in the market and have a list in the Parts Wanted section. Thanks guys.

Hey Pat, Thanks and how are ya? I had another 68 with the center grille piece (see old photo) but haven`t seen many lately. Did I mention it`s got an AM/FM behind that bezel.=P~. I saw another set of manifolds on Ebay and they`re at $406.00 something and haven`t made the reserve! Yeah, the Barracudas a blast to drive, scares the #$%^&*(_+ out of my girlfriend! Thanks people really like those wheels. I saw the original radiator for your car on Ebay starting at $175.00 which is great. They`ll bring 5 clams on a good day. If you don`t have the original you should go for it. Let us all know how the rotor swap turns out for you.- John

I saw that radiator, It's a small block radiator (incorrect number) I have a replacement radiator (everything is the same, just doesn't have the number stamped into the tank pad. So that will do till I find the buried treasure correct one. Found the radio bezel for my car on Epay, looks like I'm going to have to pay dearly but what ya gonna do. I'm supposed to get my rotors UPS on monday & then off to find a qualified machinist. I may have to give you a call & get some info on where exactly the machining was done for the seal seal but may be clear as a bell when I can compare the 2 rotors side to side. AM/FM in the dart. I think you got everyting but the HEMI 8)lol. What a very nice find, I love my 69 but you got the ideal optioned 68 in my opinion.

I saw that radiator, It's a small block radiator (incorrect number) I have a replacement radiator (everything is the same, just doesn't have the number stamped into the tank pad. So that will do till I find the buried treasure correct one. Found the radio bezel for my car on Epay, looks like I'm going to have to pay dearly but what ya gonna do. I'm supposed to get my rotors UPS on monday & then off to find a qualified machinist. I may have to give you a call & get some info on where exactly the machining was done for the seal seal but may be clear as a bell when I can compare the 2 rotors side to side. AM/FM in the dart. I think you got everyting but the HEMI 8)lol. What a very nice find, I love my 69 but you got the ideal optioned 68 in my opinion.

Wow, smallblock radiator , he needs to rewrite the ad. Often times with these cars you have to bite the bullet to get that one missing piece, but when you do IT`S DONE, and that`s what matters. I`ll be glad to help you with the rotors if need be ,but I think you`ll find it self-explanatory once you see the two together. I`m really pleased with this find of a car; sure took a long time. A/C would be nice this time of year here in coastal Va..

Cool car ! I dont think I like the extra beak in the grill though.

Nice find John. The 68's are the best year I think.
I`ve always been partial to the 68`s too, as you could see in that old photo. I hadn`t finished the 67 Barracuda convertible and this one came along. I think the vert may move to the back burner while we work on this one. How`s it going with the 340 install? Are you there yet?:burnout:
Cool car ! I dont think I like the extra beak in the grill though.
The grille centerpiece does tend to make it look more like a Coronet, huh? They seem to appear more on the early 68`s. I`ve owned 3 ,now 4 `68 GTS`s and all but 1 has had the "beak". I don`t know if it`s a GTS thing or what? They don`t seem to appear on the non-performance models? I`d like to know more about that if anyone has the 411.:read2:

Wow, smallblock radiator , he needs to rewrite the ad. Often times with these cars you have to bite the bullet to get that one missing piece, but when you do IT`S DONE, and that`s what matters. I`ll be glad to help you with the rotors if need be ,but I think you`ll find it self-explanatory once you see the two together. I`m really pleased with this find of a car; sure took a long time. A/C would be nice this time of year here in coastal Va..

I've seen several radiator listed as big block that aren;t correct. I was looking at thos manifolds on ebay. He thinks he has the m code 440 manifolds, or at least that's what he tols some poor guy that asked. I jsut can;t beleive some of the stuff going on on ebay. alot of people get suckered into buyign something they think is right & down the road will find out it is wrong. I know of a guy remaking a bunch of the different high dollar mopar radiators & they are correct. They are $1100 but buyt the time you pay big money for the correct tanks & recoring you're not going to at much less than that & you've still got old tanks. there's alot of ways to look at everything though. I sure am glad you told me about htissite John. I'm on it every night. Alot of great mopar people here!

-
Back