A Question About Rocker Arm Assemblies

-

Tanker

My first Chrysler
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but here goes. My Duster sat for thirty years at least with the engine partially disassembled after a serious engine failure. As a result as I go through the rebuilding process I’m having to deal with corrosion issues that would never have existed if the repairs had been done promptly or at the very least had the engine been buttoned back up once the problem had been found. One of those issues is corrosion on the rocker arms in the area that contacts the rocker shaft and the area that contacts the ends of the push rods. This can be cleaned up, but some pitting will remain in the area that contacts the shaft. My inclination is to replace both assemblies completely, but that’ll come at a cost that I’d rather avoid if I can. If someone can honestly tell me that minor pitting won’t be a problem once the corrosion has been removed I’ll clean them up and use them. On the other hand, if I’m being a complete penny pinching horses *** for even thinking about such a thing, please say so and I’ll put the idea to rest.

Don't do it if they are pitted they are garbage. Also stamped steel 318 rockers are not the same as 340 or 360 HP. I may have 340's from a build that is here. The motor is getting adjustables.

^^ yes^^^

you got pick-a-parts there? Grab the shafts if yours are rusty. Or soak the lot in vinegar overnight and see what you got left. It may just be surface rust. The stamped rockers are not that precision nor do they need to be. Adjustables can be found here usually for around ~150 and hydro setups are <50

The shafts don't seem to have any rust at all, it's the rockers that have issues. I'm new to the Pittsburgh area, but so far I haven't even seen a junk yard. With the amount of rain we get here I wonder what shape junk yard cars would be in.

The shafts don't seem to have any rust at all, it's the rockers that have issues. I'm new to the Pittsburgh area, but so far I haven't even seen a junk yard. With the amount of rain we get here I wonder what shape junk yard cars would be in.

Buff them off and run them. Unless you are lining up against Greg Anderson you don’t need to worry about a little pitting. It will hold some oil.

Like Pishta said above...those rockers ain’t the paragon of accuracy or design. They do what they do and do it, but it’s not rocket surgery. Clean them up and run them.

I have some extra rocker assemblies, shafts and all. You can have them for shipping. Keep the good ones and put the rest in the trash where they belong.

I have some extra rocker assemblies, shafts and all. You can have them for shipping. Keep the good ones and put the rest in the trash where they belong.
Sorry it took so long to reply. I headed out of town for the weekend and have been away from my computer. I sent you a PM regarding the rocker assemblies.

take a thin kerf cut off wheel and banana groove the lower oil port. Cant hurt.
15887026909836263043428756987157-jpg.jpg

-
Back