A question

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
I recently fired up my 72 Duster,it has a slant six and for some reason,the exaust comes out the heat tube that connects to the air cleaner.What could be causing this?thanks

Possibly the gasket between the intake and exhaust manifolds (where the two bolt together) is leaking. I just replaced mine with one from a company in australia, $11 bucks. Its not one of the stamped sheet metal p.o.s. I will try to post a link when I find it. Its over on www.slantsix.org

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the good gaskets for the manifolds-to-head and the intake-to-exhaust (heat riser/hotbox) junctions.

Is the exhaust also coming out the tial pipe at a decent rate? I quick thought the flapper in the exhaust tube to be stuck mostly closed.

I agree with the flapper. The 440-3 in the motorhome that my father and i co-own had a red hot right side manifold at night one time. It made the motor so hot that it fried the ignition coil. Well, i wired the flapper wheel into the open position to hold it. Lol, the next day(and i we have 3" flowmaster exhaust on it), i revved the motor in the morning to kick down the throttle on the carb and i heard something shoot out of one of the tailpipes. It was the damn flapper. Good thing i have less restrictive mufflers, or i would have had a problem trying to get it out. :sign6:

-
Back