A tail of two deals

-

whitepunkonnitro

Reaction score
Just had to share this...its the kind of thing any of you who sell parts can appreciate.
Last week, Customer A buys a set of rocker panels for a Duster.
Hours later, the same day, Customer B buys a frame rail.
So, the next morning I start working to take care of both guys at the same time.
First, I flip the car for the rockers, only to find, once I start cutting them that they are soft on the inside edge...real soft. They are junk.
OK, so I look around and think quick. I had a Duster floor pan that I had already cut in half. I Figured to roll the dice, and liberate the rockers..in two pieces..and send them off as scheduled. If he was unhappy, I'd hit him with a refund and chalk it up to one of those things.
The day was mostly eaten up, and it was starting to drizzle when I began to cut the frame rail for Customer B.
As I'm cutting it out, I notice how it really is a beautiful rail, and that this guy is going to be thrilled with it.
Because I was rushing, I cut the top of the shockmount...it was already dark and the rain was starting to really come down.
The next day, everything gets packaged up and dropped at the PO.
Fast forward to today. I get a mail alert. Its Customer A with the rockers. I click on it, and while I'm waiting for it to load, I'm thinking to myself, just explain, apologize and offer a refund.
Well, he was thanking me for the beautiful rockers, not even mentioning anything about them being cut in half... Whew!!
Not ten minutes later, customer B writes in...not happy...****! He didn't want the rail because the top of the shock mount was clipped.
We went back and forth, and he was OK with me sending the part I had left off, but clearly not happy with the situation. I doubt he'll be buying anything else from me.
The lesson here? That you never ever know how any deal will go until its completely done, or how a buyer is going to react to what you send. One man's junk and all...

Last edited:
Why did you not contact buyers with issues you had before shipping parts?
Be damed if im sending a part to customer I'm not sure of and wont back 100%

yes parts selling is FUN! ha ..... my take is us humans are generally weird in one way or another. a part that one guy is thrilled with would not make another guy at all happy. shelf dust on a 50 yr old NOS part would send some people into a ti rade. others would be so overjoyed they would poop in their drawers. ha

Why did you not contact buyers with issues you had before shipping parts?
Be damed if im sending a part to customer I'm not sure of and wont back 100%
Why? Because the buyer I thought MAY have an issue, was completely happy. The one I was sure would be happy, had an issue.
Either way, they were going to be made happy, and they were.

Nobody really sucked here, Matt..it was just an example of varying expectations. It all worked out with everyone content in the end

Sorry bro i misspoke. I tend to take pix , and circle the areas i need cut out and i try to be pretty specific. I guess some buyers are not. I'm glad they were both happy in the end.

I do have parts for sale on here, but i dont plan on making it a habit. Its actually a pain in the *** selling, but kudos to you if you can do it and deal with people.

I think people that buy potential project mopars just to part out and make money suck.....

It happens as a parts vendor, you take a few hits with the good.. Bought from you,and will again....

I think people that buy potential project mopars just to part out and make money suck.....

If a car is too far gone, no title, headed to the crusher etc, it can live on by helping the rest of us get parts that are no longer existent for our projects. If no-one did it my Scamp wouldn't be driving as it is. Parting out a rare model however is a different story. It the would depend if someone was willing to put way more money in it than it would be worth as to whether it "can be saved" anyway.

And I think people who can't see that one parted car helps return dozens back to life are idiots.
When I am done parting a car, there is literally NOTHING left of it.
In fact, my insistance on finding a home for every last usable bit costs me a good amount of money every year.

Typically when i go to the junkyard, i buy what i need for my project, and also other A body parts that i can resell to help my project along. The cars i'm pulling parts from are pretty much done anyways, so at least what i pull and sell helps give life to others out there.

-
Back