A230 gears info

-

gagembassett

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I recently just picked up 2 A-body and 1 truck A230 transmissions. I know that these are all wide ratio geared, so my question is, is there any aftermarket support for a set of close ratio gears or any A230 aftermarket support at all?

3rd is 1:1 so the spread can't be all that close. Those are pretty scarce, good luck.

Higher first gear. Close ratio vs wide ratio specs.

A230 ratios
For slant sixes and 318
1st 3.08
2nd 1.7
3rd 1.0
R 2.9

for 340 and 400s
1st 2.55
2nd 1.49
3rd 1
R 3.34

How many 400s got an A230? We had one in a 71 Duster but I cant remember if it was a 318 or a 198/225

Base transmission for a ‘72-‘74 (maybe later?) B or E body with a big block. Who knows, maybe even C body? I would imagine far fewer than would have been found behind 340 cars, because 340s were an option in B & E bodies until 1973.

ID information on this A230 subject. I looked over 2 gear sets I have and do have both ratios. Observed that the close ratio gears have a groove on teeth to distinguish difference. Tooth counts are different, but the groove is the ready reference.

Would you care to post some pictures? I am getting a close ratio A230 to post pictures of but I have been delayed in my transaction.

Base transmission for a ‘72-‘74 (maybe later?) B or E body with a big block. Who knows, maybe even C body? I would imagine far fewer than would have been found behind 340 cars, because 340s were an option in B & E bodies until 1973.
I have a 70 and up dedicated three speed big block bellhousing. I think the A230 was it that late, was it not? It does fit the A230 and I believe that transmission has a bolt pattern all its own.

I'm almost certain you are correct on the different bellhousing bolt patterns. Now I have forgotten about A230 or its variant known as A250 being used in the trucks. I would be willing to bet there were several vans and trucks with 383 and 400 engines (maybe even 361 truck?) with those types of three speeds. I think two or three holes are different on the three speed bellhousing face from the A833. And for proof, I know where there is an HD truck bellhousing here for 11 or 12 inch clutch application that had NP435/445 bolt pattern with the 9/16 bolt holes and the A230 bolt pattern with 3/8-16 holes. I cannot remember, but I think it also had an a833 pattern. There's an Overdrive a833 transmission right next to it so I'll check when I go to where it's at again.

The 230 has a different bolt pattern for the bell housing than the 833.

The 1970 up V-8 bells have the dual pattern though.

The trucks also used the 230, larger diameter front bearing retainer though and while these share the same bell housing as the 4-speed 435, once again the bells have bolt patterns for both.

Small bearing retainer on a 230 - /6 & small block.

Larger retainer for big block car applications.

Largest retainer on truck applications.

Okay, I was wondering what the differences were between the A230 and A250, I wasn’t bright enough to think about the bearing retainer diameter differences between the car and truck bellhousings.

Just to clarify, what I mentioned above is all 230.

I do not have any experience with the 250.

Okay, thank you! My understanding is that the A250 is for the most part the same as the A230, but I’ll see what I can find on them.

Okay, that’s interesting! The A250 appears to be a top loader design. I would imagine it shares next to nothing in the way of hard parts with the A230.

Last edited:
IIRC the A250 is a HD trans similar to the A745s and A903s. Top-loading and the old-style floating synchronizers. Plus no synchronized low gear.
But I haven't even seen one since the very early 80s

-
Back