A500/42RH Trans Fluid Level

-

RogerRamRod

The Older I Get, The Faster I Was
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Lets say for reasons I can't remember, I had to modify the tube and dipstick for the 42RH install into a 68 Dart and use the truck dipstick with a A904 tube. I want to cut and engrave new markings on the new dipstick. What is the correct fluid level (running & with pump running) in relation to any point of reference? I could use the case to pan line, the bottom of the dipstick hole, some point on the valve body, really anything as a point of reference. I have a deeper pan and filter extension block, so relationship to filter won't work.

So you need to start out with a matched set, be it 42RH, truck, 904, whatever. Just need a dipstick in the tube it left the factory with. Measure from the point where the the tube registers to the transmission case to the full and add lines on the stick. Then put the stick you want into the tube you want and verify or remark as needed. Best bet is to just keep the tube and stick together as a set. Small block tubes will physically interchange, bit later sticks have better top seals.

The hole in the case was in the same spot for all aluminum torqueflites which keeps it simple. Deeper pans have the same full level. That is, there is just more fluid below the full mark on a deep (later truck) pan.

Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe I could have worded it a little better, but thats just it, I don't have "a matched set, be it 42RH, truck, 904, whatever. Just need a dipstick in the tube it left the factory with" hence my asking for a correct fill level in relation to something within the transmission itself.

The tube that came in the truck 42RH got smashed, kinked, rendered unusable, and being short on space, I tossed it since it wasn't going to fit in the finished project anyway. I located a 904 tube that fits in the car, but I only have the long dipstick that came with/fit the transmission in a truck application.
" Best bet is to just keep the tube and stick together as a set." might be (is) a true statement, unfortunately that ship left port a few years ago.
If (for instance) someone says full is right at the gasket level, then I can put it together then measure how far below the hole the gasket is then engrave my full mark. "full right at the top of the valve body" would be a little trickier, but since I have the transmission out still, I could manage that. Factory matched tube and stick is what I can't do.

This came out of a 99-00 Dakota 42RE V6 I suppose I may have to reinsert the tube "hard" and scribe it to get a reference line on the top of the trans. It is all buttoned up, I do not want to open it further

From end of dipstick to "OK" line is 1 5/16.
From end of dipstick to "MAX" line is 2 3/16
From end of dipstick to end of filler tube is 1 7/8
Please recheck my readings!!!

IMG_2128cs1.JPG

IMG_2128cs2.JPG

IMG_2128cs3.JPG

IMG_2130cs1.JPG

IMG_2130cs2.JPG

Last edited:
Thank You. I think I will get close enough on the assumption that the bottom of the tube bottoms out in the bore of the case. I don't think that hole is merely a pass through until the O-ring bottoms out.
looks roughly like Max is slightly above bottom of the hole where the filler tube goes. I'll be looking at it a bit tonight.

The hole on one case I looked at has no ledge, it is straight through. The new style seal is cylindrical with a ridge on the top maybe ?? 1/8 high. This means the tapered sleeve sits down on that ridge. MAYBE these are not as precision as we've been lead to believe

-
Back